• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like the d12 for damage...any love for the underutilized die is good to me. :)

I solidly stand by magical beast... even if I was wrong about what's banished by [alignment] word spells.

Ditto here. And definitely Extraplanar...these things come from someplace other than the Material Plane, as evidenced by their bodies returning there after death.

Extraplanar Magical Beast with a "funky ability" explanation for why you can't banish them is fine by me. It couldn't be dimensional lock as such, since that would prevent them ethereal jaunting.

This sounds like the best solution.

Now I wonder whether these things originate from the same place as 3E's Ethereal Marauders & Filchers? Imagine a world were most living things can Ethereal Jaunt...

That would be sheer madness. MADNESS! :eek::confused::lol:

Oh, and Updated.

Horgs can walk clumsily on their hind legs. They are much more comfortable in the air, or flying through the vaccum of wildspace. When they fly, they beat their wings like a bat—even in space, where there is no air for their wings to act upon. They are highly maneuverable. The positioning of their mouth indicates that they evolved to feed on the wing, even their mouth will be pointing forward. Presumably, there is some organ in the horg body that allows them to “fly” in a vacuum. For reasons discussed later, this organ has never been investigated.

This is probably most easily achieved with supernatural flight like the beholder. We'll also need to give them the breathless ability so they don't die in space.

Any creature wounded by either teeth or claw suffers the toxic effects of this liquid. Each round after the successful hit, the victim suffers 2d10 points of damage (save vs. poison for half damage). This damage continues for 10 rounds, or until the victim dies. Note that this damage is cumulative from attack to attack.

This sounds far more like ongoing acid damage than poison.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed to Su flight and Breathless.

I do think it sounds like ongoing acid. But not an ooze acid. Something like a red sundew, if I'm remembering that plant right.

Undismissable (Su): Horgs are immune to all effects that would banish or dismiss them from any plane, including spells such as holy word, dismissal, and banishment, among others. This ability does not prevent them from using Ethereal Jaunt, however.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's much more reasonable. It's still a lot of hp, but I suspect these will be pretty tough for their HD.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

When a horg is killed, its body immediately phases out and vanishes from the Prime Material Plane. (This is why so little is known about horg physiology—no corpse has ever been available for study.) Normally, when a horg phases out it can be pursued by someone with access to the Ethereal Plane. On the creature’s death, however, it phases to another plane—not the Elemental Plane. If a horg is somehow successfully confined, however, it invariably commits suicide by apparently just willing itself to die—and its body phases out and vanishes.

Do we need a "will itself to die" ability, or leave it as flavor text?

Horgs are totally resistant to mind-altering magics of all kinds. They are highly resistant to cold-based and electricity-based spells, receiving a +3 bonus to their saving throws against these attacks.

Immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities?

Resistance to cold x and electricity x?

Remove ads