• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Converting Magic Items from 2E

Vedic Wizard

First Post
I've been converting some of my old characters across from 2nd Ed and noticed that the "Sword of Sharpness" and "Staff of Slinging" don't appear in the 3rd Ed DMG.

Do these items appear in any of the other books/supplements? If not is there a generally excepted conversion for them?

frankthedm

First Post
Sword of sharpnes lopped limbs which the ruleset tries to avoid this edtion. I'd assume a special weapon ability that increased the crit multiplier one step might be reasoanable. I'd cost it at a +4, but i overcharge for items untill i see the math. I'd assume some yahoo with an falchion or elven courtblade would be able to break the ability at anything less than +4 cost.

Pyrex

First Post
Mathematically speaking, 2*CritMultiplier-1 (i.e. x2 becomes x3, x4 becomes x7) leads to an identical increase in average damage as Keen, making +4 really, really overcosted.

Vuron

First Post
I think keen is pretty clearly intended to be the new Sword of Sharpness.

However you could have it be a specific magic weapon (like a Holy Avenger) that has a fixed configuration.

I'd be very reluctant to allow any ability to function in conjunction with imp crit or keen though.

glass

(he, him)
Brace Cormaeril said:
Uhm, imp. crit (the feat) and keen stack, as do bonuses from weapon master...
Dunno about Weapon Master, but Imp Crit and Keen don't stack. It is one of the more contraversial changes in 3.5.

glass.

Vuron

First Post
glass said:
Dunno about Weapon Master, but Imp Crit and Keen don't stack. It is one of the more contraversial changes in 3.5.

glass.

Indeed, if we are talking 3.0 then all bets are off as you could do some really wacky things back then. Hrmm Keen Mercurial Greatsword of Sharpness in the hands of weapon master with imp crit <grimace>.

Remove ads