• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's go 20th CL since he should be a pretty powerful caster given his history. As for the other ability, I think it's good, but, without Spell Focus, we might need to fill the feat slots with multiple Quicken or Empower SLAs. Too bad there aren't other metamagic feats that apply to SLAs.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Let's go 20th CL since he should be a pretty powerful caster given his history. As for the other ability, I think it's good, but, without Spell Focus, we might need to fill the feat slots with multiple Quicken or Empower SLAs. Too bad there aren't other metamagic feats that apply to SLAs.

There are...they just aren't core. :(

freyar

Well, can you think of another feat that's worthwhile for him? Ability focus a second time? Then we can just give him Quicken and Empower SLA and that special ability...

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about Ability Focus (Frightful Strike)?

How does this look?

Spell-Like Abilities: Ambuchar Devayam may use any spell from the necromancy school as a spell-like ability. He may use each spell only once per day, but may apply his Empower Spell-Like Ability and Quicken Spell-Like Ability to up to three spell-like abilities each (caster level limits still apply). Caster level 20th. Save DCs are 15 + spell level.

freyar

I like it.

CR: I get the feeling he might be tougher than his HD. What's your thought?

Organization: Solitary or Court (Ambuchar Devayam plus 2d6 dowagu and 4d4 5th-level necromancers and 4d4 5th level fighters?)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, he's essentially a 20th-level spellcaster, just limited to the necromancy school, but with no need for components and the ability to theoretically use two per round in the first three rounds.

I'm thinking CR 18, at the very least.

Org looks good, although we could probably replace the fighters with random undead due to the Stamp.l

freyar

Let's tentatively say CR 18 and see if anyone else pops in. He does have a few good defenses beyond just hp, too.

Random undead is a great idea!

Shade

Monster Junkie
So...

Organization: Solitary or Court (Ambuchar Devayam plus 2d6 dowagu and 4d4 5th-level necromancers and 2d6 random undead)?

freyar

Sounds good. Should we say up to a certain HD, like 10 HD each, for the random undead just to keep them under control?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads