• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
This is a tough one. Since gargoyles are no longer created beings, and this one lists no information on how to create one, I could see going magical beast. Additionally, magical beasts can be creations (such as owlbear). It also lacks the usual construct immunities, so that's another point in favor of magical beast.

Anyone opposed to magical beast?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Pounce is also good for me. To go with that, these should also have an ability like the monk's slow fall to reduce falling damage (ie, ignore the first 20 ft fallen).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

We could go with the slow fall, or make an ability that extends this...

Jumping Down: If you intentionally jump from a height, you take less damage than you would if you just fell. The DC to jump down from a height is 15. You do not have to get a running start to jump down, so the DC is not doubled if you do not get a running start. If you succeed on the check, you take falling damage as if you had dropped 10 fewer feet than you actually did.

...to take falling damage as if it had dropped 20 fewer feet than it actually did.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
If we can make the jumping down ability of stone lions concise, then I'm all for using the Jump check as opposed to slow fall.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How's this:

Jump Down (Ex): If a stone lion intentionally jumps from a height and succeeds on DC 15 Jump check, it takes falling damage as if it had dropped 20 fewer feet than it actually did.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Works for me.

Can we change the roar so that creatures only get immunity on a successful save? That way it can keep frightening people.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Skills: 11 (Balance, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot are the skills used by gargoyles and lions)

Which of these racial bonuses shall we retain?

Gargoyle Skills: Gargoyles have a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks. *The Hide bonus increases by +8 when a gargoyle is concealed against a background of stone.

Lion Skills: Lions have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Hide, and Move Silently checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus improves to +12.

Feats: 3
Lion has Alertness, Run
Gargoyle has Multiattack, Toughness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads