Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Cleon, you don't like hypnotism?

Flyby Attack and Spell Penetration work for me.

I like Appraise for these. If we want Diplomacy (though I don't get that vibe very strongly), I'd say drop Hide since I don't get a super-stealthy vibe from them either. So either just replace Hide with Know (arcana) or split ranks with Diplomacy, I guess.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's stick with hypnotism, since nothing in the original writup indicates any particular interest in harming others.

Along those same lines, I agree with adding Diplomacy. These things have good tendencies, so it makes sense that they'd want to converse with other creatures. Dropping Hide is fine, since they can simply "phase out" if they need to disappear. I want to keep at least a few ranks in Appraise, though, since the limited flavor text made a point to indicate their greed

How about Appraise 3, Concentration 6, Diplomacy 3, Knowledge (arcana) 6, Listen 6, Spellcraft 6, Spot 6?

Cleon

Legend
Cleon, you don't like hypnotism?

Well it's a bit of a "meh" spell for me, since it usually just ends up with either enough of the phase dragon's opponents making their Will save to attack it and break the dragon's concentration, or everyone just ends up staring at each other and doing nothing. I'd prefer something a bit more proactive, but it's easy enough to swap it out for other phase dragons.

If you don't like damage-dealing spells, there's always sleep I guess.

Flyby Attack and Spell Penetration work for me.

How about Appraise 3, Concentration 6, Diplomacy 3, Knowledge (arcana) 6, Listen 6, Spellcraft 6, Spot 6?

Those skills & feats work for me too.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Suggested duration for the confusion effect of the breath weapon? Maybe 1d6 rounds?

Environment: Any forests?

Organization: Solitary or pair?

Challenge Rating: 2?

Treasure: Triple standard?
It had type F, which includes:
1-20 1,000s of silver pieces: 10%
1-12 1,000s of electrum pieces: 15%
1-10 1,000s of gold pieces: 40%
1-8 100s of platinum pieces: 35%
3-30 gems: 20%
1-10 jewelry: 10%
Maps or Magic Items: Any 3 except swords or miscellaneous weapons, plus 1 potion & 1 scroll: 30%

Alignment: Always chaotic, rarely evil?

Level Adjustment: +3 (like pseudodragon)?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Triple standard, forests and 1d6 rounds sounds good.

The breath weapon is nastier than the pseudodragon's sleep venom, and it's got spellcasting (albeit a little bit of it, but color spray can make or break entire parties at low levels). I'd say CR 3.

Shade

Monster Junkie
A phase dragon is roughly 3 feet long and weighs about x pounds.

Phase dragons speak Draconic and Common?

Shade

Monster Junkie
A pseudodragon has a body about 1 foot long, with a 2-foot tail. It weights about 7 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads