• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, these feel like a Magical Beast to me too.

The White Hart seems a good fit statwise. Boost its Dexterity to 25 or so? Maybe cut its Charisma a little - but not by too much, since it has SLAs.

Wisdom 10 seems distressingly low, so I'd increase it a bit.

How about:

Forchoreai: Str 20, Dex 25, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 16

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, powerful charge does sound right. I guess we should go damage something like a minotaur (or somewhat less), so 1d8 for the gore and maybe +3d6 (and Str bonus when appropriate) for powerful charge, maybe. How's that sound? It's the same average damage as 6d4.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good. Updated.

How's this?

Rejuvenation (Su): A forchoreai slain on its home plane always returns in full health in 3 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. The only way to permanently destroy a forchoreai is to land the killing blow while on another plane.

Skills: 21 ranks
White Hart has Escape Artist, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot
Deer and Elk have Hide, Listen, Spot

Feats: Lightning Reflexes (B), 2 more
White Hart has Alertness, Dash (B), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes
Deer have Alertness
Elk have Alertness (or Run, for the alt-version) and Endurance

Last edited:

freyar

Hide, Listen, and Spot seem appropriate.

As they're hunted for sport, Endurance seems like a good choice. And either Alertness or Imp Init to help them get a head start on their hunters.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about: Hide 7, Listen 5, Move Silently 4, Spot 5, with a +8 racial bonus on all four? Or do we need to put a few ranks in Concentration for the SLAs?

freyar

We should probably pull a couple of ranks for Concentration, since there are a few combat-worthy SLAs. What about Concentration 5, Hide 4, Listen 4, Move Silently 4, Spot 4?

The more I think about it, the more I like Run as a feat for them. So Run and Endurance?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Those seem a good fit to me!

Updated.

Challenge Rating: 3?

Advancement: 5-12 HD (Large)?

A forchoreai stands 7 feet tall at the shoulder and weighs x pounds.

Forchoreai speak/do not speak (but understand) Celestial?

freyar

That sounds reasonable. Moose can be up to 7ft and almost 1600 lb, so let's say 1500 lb. And let's say that they don't speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads