Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
CR of 1/4 is ok. And I'm not too bothered about including the whole stat block.

Calling the variant chocolate golems "deluxe" is a good idea. I also don't mind adding dark or white chocolate variants, but I don't see right now what extra mechanical features that would give. If there aren't any new or changes SAs or SQs, we can just mention in the flavor text that they can be made of dark or white chocolate.

Cleon

Legend
CR of 1/4 is ok. And I'm not too bothered about including the whole stat block.

Might as well update the Chocolate Golem Working Draft then.

Calling the variant chocolate golems "deluxe" is a good idea. I also don't mind adding dark or white chocolate variants, but I don't see right now what extra mechanical features that would give. If there aren't any new or changes SAs or SQs, we can just mention in the flavor text that they can be made of dark or white chocolate.

If it doesn't make any difference there's no reason regular chocolate golems can't be made of dark or white chocolate.

I'll include the following adjustments in the update:

These constructs are simply what their name indicates – golems made out of edible chocolate. Chocolate golems are normally made from milk chocolate, but they can be made of dark or white chocolate or even multiple separate types of chocolate. They are sometimes used as guard for parties thrown by the extravagantly wealthy, but are more novelty than a practical form of security. A chocolate golem "security guard" may even be ordered to allow guests to break off and eat portions of its body.

Most chocolate golems are shaped like bulky humanoids but they can be molded into the form of almost any creature. Popular alternative shapes include reindeer, bipedal rabbits and ducks. An average chocolate golem is 7 feet tall and weighs 500 pounds.

Variant Chocolate Golems
Chocolate golems, like chocolate truffles, can be produced with a variety of fillings. These golems are also called deluxe chocolate golems. For these variant chocolate golems, increase their Challenge Rating by +1 and replace the Spew Filling attack above with one of the following special attacks:

Hmm… I'm wondering whether we ought to rename the subentry from "Variant" to "Deluxe". i.e.:

Deluxe Chocolate Golems
Chocolate golems, like chocolate truffles, can be produced with a variety of fillings. These variant chocolate golems have their Challenge Rating increased by +1 and their Spew Filling attack is replaced with one of the following special attacks:

Deluxe chocolate golems require expensive filling ingredients and special coatings on their hollow interior. These increase the materials cost to 1,100 gold pieces. Their special filling costs 50 gold pieces per shot, or 600 gp for a full reload.

Deluxe Chocolate Golems: Price 5,100 gp (4,500 unloaded); Cost 3,100 (2,500 unloaded) + 160 XP.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Adding dark and white chocolate to the flavor texti is fine. And changing "variant" to "deluxe" in the underbar title is good, too. So are these done?

Remove ads