Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Based on some examples of eating disorders (eg Xylophagia - consumption of wood) how about 'Metalphagia'?

Regards
Mortis

Shouldn't it be metallo- not metal- for the prefix? I also prefer metallovore to metallophage. Has a nicer ring to it.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

We still need these...

We could just give it Whirlwind Attack as a bonus feat, or a functionally equivalent attack.

I'm also thinking we should reduce the range of its roller's slam attack to 5 feet.

Whirling Razors (Ex): As a full-round action a harrow can spin its razor-discs in a circle, making a single melee attack against all opponents within 10 ft. This functions like the Whirlwind Attack feat.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's pretty good, but it seems like somehow it should be able to use its slams too (that whole "if it misses" business). Not sure how to deal with that; it's like the reverse of Cleave. If we just want to drop the roller part of the whirlwind attack, what Cleon has sounds fine to me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Shouldn't it be metallo- not metal- for the prefix? I also prefer metallovore to metallophage. Has a nicer ring to it.

In this instance, I prefer "metallophage", as it reminds me of anthropophagus undead. :cool:

freyar said:
That's pretty good, but it seems like somehow it should be able to use its slams too (that whole "if it misses" business). Not sure how to deal with that; it's like the reverse of Cleave. If we just want to drop the roller part of the whirlwind attack, what Cleon has sounds fine to me.

I'm not sure we should pursue that odd "if it misses" business. I also think what Cleon has should suffice.

You know, rereading that bit almost makes me think the "drive cylinder" rolls over anyone it misses with its razor-discs. In other words, trample (or the 3e juggernaut's squash). Just a thought.

Updated.

burrow 20 ft.?

resistance to cold 15?

Skills: 6 at 12 ranks
Not much to go on here. Maybe Balance, Jump, Listen, Search, Spot, Tumble?

Feats: 4
Improved Critical (razor-disc)? Weapon Focus (razor-disc)? What else?

freyar

Now Trample sounds like a good idea!

I like the rest. For the last two feats, I can't help but think that Cleave just sounds appropriate for something that attacks with razor-disks. So that and Power Attack will round the feats off if no one has a better idea.

Cleon

Legend
In this instance, I prefer "metallophage", as it reminds me of anthropophagus undead. :cool:

I'm not sure we should pursue that odd "if it misses" business. I also think what Cleon has should suffice.

You know, rereading that bit almost makes me think the "drive cylinder" rolls over anyone it misses with its razor-discs. In other words, trample (or the 3e juggernaut's squash). Just a thought.

Sure, give it trample. It sounds like it's pretty close to a steamroller as it is.

Updated.

burrow 20 ft.?

resistance to cold 15?

Not sure about burrow. It doesn't seem to be built for it. It's hardly shaped like a mole-machine, will all those protruding arms.

Skills: 6 at 12 ranks
Not much to go on here. Maybe Balance, Jump, Listen, Search, Spot, Tumble?

Well I don't much care for Jump or Tumble. How about Intimidate and Knowledge (planes)?

Feats: 4
Improved Critical (razor-disc)? Weapon Focus (razor-disc)? What else?

I prefer freyar's proposal of Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (razor-disc)

Rather than Improved Critical we should just give the razor-discs a better critical. Augmented critical (18-20x3) seems appropriate. They are buzz-saws, after all.

freyar

Let the razor disc do the burrowing when it's underground. ;)

Somehow Knowledge skills don't seem right for these to me. Could we compromise with Intimidate and either Jump or Tumble?

I like Cleon's proposed feats and augmented crit.

Cleon

Legend
Let the razor disc do the burrowing when it's underground. ;)

Somehow Knowledge skills don't seem right for these to me. Could we compromise with Intimidate and either Jump or Tumble?

I like Cleon's proposed feats and augmented crit.

They're buzz-saws not drill bits, it just doesn't strike me as being built for burrowing.

For that matter, it doesn't seem built for jumping or tumbling, since it moves about on a single roller.

Intimidate suits me better - at least all those whirling blades means it's built to be intimidating!

Remove ads