• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since they "prosper as merchants", perhaps skill and feat selection should represent this? Appraise, Diplomacy, Persuasive, etc.

dhaga

First Post
Feats: Improved Init and Persuasive ?

What about the light wand?
I was thinking: Ray attack, 60 ft. max range, no increment. I don't have my books handy; does Searing Light do "fire" damage, or is it actually "light" damage? The light wand should have a similar effect, I would think. 2d6 damage?

Shade

Monster Junkie
dhaga said:
Appraise +9, Diplomacy +8, Sense Motive +9, then? How does that sit with folks?

That's two ranks too many (unless I'm missing something), but we can go with 3 ranks for all 8 and go from there.

On second thought, Persuasive might not be the best feat, since it grants bonuses to Bluff and Intimidate. I think I confused it with Negotiator, which buffs Diplomacy and Sense Motive. Does this sound better?

The most common weapon used by the Chak is the lightwand, a seemingly innocent, light-producing device which, when fitted with a special control ring, can be fired as a laser (range 120', #AT 2/round, Dmg 2d8, save vs. wands for 1/2 damage; target treated as AC 10 modified for magic or dexterity only). Other small weapons, such as daggers or hand axes, are also used. In their lair, over 40% of the Chak encountered are armed with lightwand weapons.

dhaga said:
Ray attack, 60 ft. max range, no increment. I don't have my books handy; does Searing Light do "fire" damage, or is it actually "light" damage? The light wand should have a similar effect, I would think. 2d6 damage?

Focusing divine power like a ray of the sun, you project a blast of light from your open palm. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike your target. A creature struck by this ray of light takes 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8). An undead creature takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d6), and an undead creature particularly vulnerable to bright light takes 1d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d8). A construct or inanimate object takes only 1d6 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d6).

Here's a slightly similar weapon:

Etherblade: Resembling a short glaive topped with a hollow barrel, this favored weapon of the ethergaunts can fire a ray of force as a ranged touch attack for 1d6 points of damage. The etherblade ray has a range increment of 40 feet. The weapon can fire 50 times before it is exhausted. It cannot be recharged. An etherblade can be used as a two-handed weapon in melee combat to deal 1d10 points of slashing damage. A fully-charged etherblade has a market price of 800 gp.

So gathering all these ideas together...

Lightwand: This weapon resembles a normal sunrod (but slightly smaller?), but with a special control ring, can be converted into a deadly weapon. With the ring attached, a lightwand can fire a ray of light to a range of 60 feet with no range increment. A creature struck by this ray of light takes 2d8 points of damage. An undead creature takes 4d6 points of damage, and an undead creature particularly vulnerable to bright light takes 4d8 points of damage. A construct or inanimate object takes only 2d6 points of damage. A control ring can be used to generate 50 rays before it becomes powerless and must be replaced. A lightwand has a market price of X gp (same as sunrod?), and a fully-charged control ring has a market price of X gp.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
On second thought, Persuasive might not be the best feat, since it grants bonuses to Bluff and Intimidate. I think I confused it with Negotiator, which buffs Diplomacy and Sense Motive. Does this sound better?
Yup I think Negotiator fits the flavour of the chak better.

Lightwand: This weapon resembles a normal sunrod (but slightly smaller?), but with a special control ring, can be converted into a deadly weapon. With the ring attached, a lightwand can fire a ray of light to a range of 60 feet with no range increment. A creature struck by this ray of light takes 2d8 points of damage. An undead creature takes 4d6 points of damage, and an undead creature particularly vulnerable to bright light takes 4d8 points of damage. A construct or inanimate object takes only 2d6 points of damage. A control ring can be used to generate 50 rays before it becomes powerless and must be replaced. A lightwand has a market price of X gp (same as sunrod?), and a fully-charged control ring has a market price of X gp.

I like it

Regards
Mortis

dhaga

First Post
Negotiator! That's what we wanted, yes :)

For the skills -- max ranks for all 3 is good; isn't that 8 ranks each?

The lightwand text looks great, Shade. The lightwand can have the same market price as a sunrod. We could make it easy and say the control ring can be fitted over a sunrod, to avoid having to provide new lighting stats for the wand. The control ring is going to be the expensive part, surely. Not sure what the market price should be.

Shade

Monster Junkie
An excellent suggestion!

The etherblade does less damage, and is 800 gp. Maybe 1,200 gp for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads