• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good.

Sensing one more magical college nearby, the awtawmatawn thundered over the mountains into the College of Rune Magics. The Rune Adepts were waiting, allied with Valmous. Valmous suspected the statue's weakness and guided his brothers in magic to destroy it.
Even so, few survived the fierce battle and yet another College of Magic lay in ruins, its practitioners dead or scattered.

With the aid of several young Rune Magic Adepts, Valmous hid the awtawmatawn’s fragments. He could still detect the aura of the devil amongst the pieces. Were the statue to be reassembled, it would live again. Using their own magics and the Shaper's devices, the Rune Adepts placed the dying Valmous into a healing stasis trance, to awaken when the need arose. All then faded into history.

Some sort of rejuvenation power? The parts detect as overwhelming evil with a detect evil spell?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
Some sort of rejuvenation power? The parts detect as overwhelming evil with a detect evil spell?

For detect evil: yes.

For rejuvenation, maybe give it either regeneration or fast healing and then some sort of tarrasque-like ability. So it fragments when reduced to 0 hp but isn't completely destroyed unless (fill in the blanks). I'll try to write something up tonight if I can. Kind of swamped atm.

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
I just saw the conversion of the moon roc in the catalog. Shouldn't it be a magical beast? Animals don't have fast healing or energy immunity.

freyar

GrayLinnorm said:
I just saw the conversion of the moon roc in the catalog. Shouldn't it be a magical beast? Animals don't have fast healing or energy immunity.

I'd be inclined to agree, though what does it for me is the supernatural flight. Animals can have (Ex) abilities but not magic.

Shade

Monster Junkie
GrayLinnorm said:

Good point. I'll make the change to magical beast when I have an opportunity.

freyar

Back to the awtawmawtawn:

The tarrasque has
srd said:
Regeneration (Ex): No form of attack deals lethal damage to the tarrasque. The tarrasque regenerates even if it fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death effect. If the tarrasque fails its save against a spell or effect that would kill it instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals nonlethal damage equal to the creature’s full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hp). The tarrasque is immune to effects that produce incurable or bleeding wounds, such as mummy rot, a sword with the wounding special ability, or a clay golem’s cursed wound ability. The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.

If the tarrasque loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

but I'm starting to think along the lines of the ghost

srd said:
Rejuvenation (Su): In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a ghost through simple combat: The “destroyed” spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. A ghost that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + ghost’s HD) against DC 16. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research.

So let's try something like

Rejuvenation (Su): It is very difficult to destroy the awtawmawtawn due to its possession by Rotbite. If it is reduced to 0 hp, the awtawmawtawn breaks into many (Large) pieces but is not destroyed completely. Due to their animating spirit, these pieces detect as overwhelming evil to a detect evil spell. If the pieces are ever reassembled, the awtawmawtawn returns to life with full hit points. The only way to destroy the awtawmawtawn permanently is to reduce it to 0 hp and then use a wish or miracle spell to destroy the animating presence of Rotbite.

Waddaya think?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Good point. I'll make the change to magical beast when I have an opportunity.
The appropriate items are

Gargantuan Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 18d10+126 (225 hp)
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+42
Attack: Talon +26 melee (2d6+12)
Full Attack: 2 talons +26 melee (2d6+12) and bite +24 melee (2d8+6)
Special Qualities: Breathless, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 3, flight, immunity to fire and damaging light effects, low-light vision

Thankfully they have the same skill points and saves.

Regards
Mortis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads