• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Good point. I guess I'd go with Hide and Move Silently first and see if there's any left over for Climb.

dhaga

First Post
freyar said:
Good point. I guess I'd go with Hide and Move Silently first and see if there's any left over for Climb.

Can always give them a racial bonus for Climb, too, so they at least have a couple of ranks.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here are racial bonuses for spiders. We could use some of them here...

Skills: Monstrous spiders have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. A monstrous spider can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. Monstrous spiders use either their Strength or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher. *Hunting spiders have a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks and a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks. Web-spinning spiders have a +8 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks when using their webs.

freyar

I like those suggestions, dhaga, except maybe the Dex modifier for climb. In either case, though, let's use those racial bonuses and then use the skill ranks to max out move silently.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated Homebrews.

Construction time...

This totem is specifically constructed by noble drow, who honor Lolth as their patron deity. Its creation is unusual because it requires cooperation between a male drow magic user and a female drow cleric. The former needs to be of at least 12th level, while the cleric must have attained 11th level. First a black opal and a ruby, worth at least 5,000 gp each, must be sought. When obtained, they are then crafted into a black spider with a red cross central on its abdomen. This is then followed by the casting of the spells from both cleric and mage. The mage spells required are: web and reincarnation; while the cleric performs bless, prayer, poison, commune and animate object. It takes 2 months to fabricated and costs 30,000 gp overall.

freyar

First things first: do we want to keep the requirement of both the mage and cleric? If so, we should probably change the spells around, since reincarnate isn't a sorcerer/wizard spell anymore.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
First things first: do we want to keep the requirement of both the mage and cleric? If so, we should probably change the spells around, since reincarnate isn't a sorcerer/wizard spell anymore.

I think we should keep both, but agree that spells need to be modified.

freyar

Bless and prayer are pretty similar, so let's drop bless, so the cleric isn't doing all the work. ;) I'm baffled as to what the S/W should do besides web, though. Cat's grace b/c the Dex is high or Fox's cunning b/c it's an intelligent construct? Why isn't animate object an S/W spell? Wouldn't mages want animated statues around? :confused:

Remove ads