D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Cleon

Legend
I'll agreed to bumping the ranks in the advanced slots, too.

Good!

Keep the same skills as suggested above, though.

It'd have helped if you said where said skills were suggested. Did you mean the latest post's "Jump and Climb as data-skills, with Listen and Spot as regular skills"?

Updating the Warrior Droid Working Draft.

Hmm, +11 seems unnecessarily high for the Climb and Jump. How about splitting one card's SPs between those two skills and dedicating another card for an Int skill.

Since we're giving them d20 Modern weapons, I'm tempted to introduce the possibility of using d20 modern skills.

e.g.

Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8, plus crystal card skills* (typically Climb +7, Jump +7, Knowledge [tactics] +8)
* Many Warrior Droids substitute another Int-based skill for their crystal card's Knowledge (tactics), such as Craft (mechanical), Disable Device, Search, Demolitions or Repair.
d20 Modern skill.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Is Knowledge (tactics) a modern skill also? I think I'd go with Disable Device or Search for the default and put all the modern skills in an underbar. But otherwise, that looks good to me.

Cleon

Legend
Is Knowledge (tactics) a modern skill also? I think I'd go with Disable Device or Search for the default and put all the modern skills in an underbar. But otherwise, that looks good to me.

Knowledge (tactics) is a field of study listed in the d20 Modern SRD, but Knowledge is a universal skill. It's not like, say Repair or Pilot, which only exist in "high tech" d20 systems.

The 10 Knowledge skills listed in the SRD are examples of "typical fields of study", and I'd consider Tactics to be a reasonable additional field - they certainly studied it in ye olden times.

I'd be fine swapping it out though. Search seems the more likely to see everyday use, although Disable Device was tempting:

Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8, plus crystal card skills* (typically Climb +7, Jump +7, Search* +8)
* Many Warrior Droids substitute another Int-based skill for their crystal card's Search skill, such as Craft, Disable Device or Knowledge.

Skills: If you use the d20 Modern rules, warrior droids often have d20 Modern skills as either normal skills or crystal card skills. Typical skills include Computer Use, Craft (mechanical), Demolitions, Knowledge (tactics), Pilot, Repair and Treat Injury. Note that warrior droids can only gain Pilot as a normal skill, since their crystal cards cannot store Dex-based skills.

freyar

Looks good.

Feats: Cleave Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (high frequency sword) ??

It seems they should all be combat-oriented.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good.

I tweaked the last sentence of the skills from "since their crystal cards cannot store Dex-based skills" to "since their advanced data slots cannot use Dex-based crystal card skills".

Feats: Cleave Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (high frequency sword) ??

It seems they should all be combat-oriented.

They should certainly be combat oriented since, after all, they are Warrior droids.

I'd fancy giving it a feat that requires fighter levels since they're Martial Programming makes such available to it. Weapon Specialization is the only one on offer.

We also need to say which of them are standard feats and which are fighter bonus feats.

How about:

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Rapid Shot (B), Weapon Focus (high frequency sword)(B), Weapon Specialization (high frequency sword)(B)

freyar

I'll agree with those feats.

How about Solitary or Pair for the org? These should be among the rarer of the droids, I'd think.

I'd say CR 5 probably.

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree with those feats.

It's still missing a slam damage. Maybe 1d6 like a guardian droid?

Heck, how about giving it two 1d6 slams when full attacking, with the option to use one as a secondary attack?

e.g.:

Attack: high frequency sword +9 melee (2d6+5/19-20) or laser pistol +10 ranged (2d8 fire) or slam +8 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: high frequency sword +9 melee (2d6+5/19-20) and slam +3 melee (1d6+1); or laser pistol +10 ranged (2d8 fire); or 2 slams +8 melee (1d6+3)

How about Solitary or Pair for the org? These should be among the rarer of the droids, I'd think.

Not according to the original adventure - there's a storeroom with eleven warrior droids in it.

Furthermore, its possible some of the droids in other locations are warrior droids since they have similar stats to the warriors, namely the fifteen "rather large droids" in the the active droid waiting room and the "five droids who attack" if summoned in the dining room.

I'd lean towards using a similar Org line to the Guardian Droid's "Solitary, patrol (2-4) or watch (5-20)", just change one or two names to be more warrior-like.

I'd say CR 5 probably.

Yeah, I guess so.

If we made them CR 4 we'd probably need to downgrade the Guardian to CR 3, which doesn't seem quite right.

Cleon

Legend
Attack: high frequency sword +9 melee (2d6+5/19-20) or laser pistol +10 ranged (2d8 fire) or slam +8 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: high frequency sword +9 melee (2d6+5/19-20) and slam +3 melee (1d6+1); or laser pistol +10 ranged (2d8 fire); or 2 slams +8 melee (1d6+3)

Hold on a mo. The Guardian Droid we did uses a ranged touch for its laser, but we've got a regular ranged attack here.

Well we're using the d20 Modern laser pistol which is a normal ranged weapon, so I think we'd better keep it as it is.

Presumably the Guardian Droid has a special kind of laser that give it a touch attacks. It helps justify its relatively high CR for its Hit Dice.

freyar

Mmmmph. We ought to treat the lasers similarly for the guardian and warrior droids. I went back and looked at our posts, and we didn't really have a reason in the original source material to make the guardian droid lasers touch attacks. We just did it. I'd say to make the guardian lasers normal ranged attacks; I think they'd still reasonably be CR 4.

I'll agree to two slams for the warrior. Org as you suggest is fine, but I don't have good ideas for the org names. Patrol probably still works, and I guess watch could be changed to something generic like troop.

Cleon

Legend
Mmmmph. We ought to treat the lasers similarly for the guardian and warrior droids. I went back and looked at our posts, and we didn't really have a reason in the original source material to make the guardian droid lasers touch attacks. We just did it. I'd say to make the guardian lasers normal ranged attacks; I think they'd still reasonably be CR 4.

That change seems reasonable. They've still got the Construct immunities and damage reduction which counts considerably towards Challenge Ratings at that level.

I'll agree to two slams for the warrior.

Agreed.

1d6 damage like the Guardian Droid's Slam Attack, or a little larger? The original monster had a 1d10 damage attack, but it didn't specify what it was attacking with, and that seems a little high for its "unarmed" attacks.

The SRD Shield Guardian seems roughly similar in its role and has a 1d8 Slam damage. They're Large size though, so if we shrink it to Medium like our Warrior is it'd be 1d6.

Org as you suggest is fine, but I don't have good ideas for the org names. Patrol probably still works, and I guess watch could be changed to something generic like troop.

Well we ought to play off Military Formation titles, so how about about team for the smallest unit (2-4) and section for the larger one (5-20)?

Remove ads