• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looks good. Its toughter than a CR 1 paper golem, but lacks the immunity to magic.

Any idea how much 6 feet of straw would weigh?

A straw golem's body is formed from a man-sized bundle of straw. The body is then treated with solvents and alchemical substances (worth at least 200 gp). Crafting the body requires a DC X Use Rope check.

Here's the paper golems costs and prereqs:

CL 5th; Craft Construct, keen edge, mending, resistance, caster must be at least 5th level; Price 600 gp; Cost 400 gp + 16 XP.

Maybe keep mending and add unseen servant. Maybe 500 gp for the price?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It's been a long time since I've dealt with straw, but I'd think 50-100 lb depending on how tightly it's packed.

DC 15 use rope? Should be pretty easy. Price 500 is good, cost 200 + whatever xp.

Shade

Monster Junkie
This one looks like fun. :)

The world around you turns sideways and you fall into the snow. You are seized by vertigo. You cannot seem to determine which direction is up! Your stomach lurches and you feel nauseous. Many horrible misshapen creatures swoop suddenly down and attack you!

Until the PCs defeat the creatures, they suffer a -4 penalty to attacks and saving throws. In order to stand, a PC must roll under half his or her Constitution score. Alternately, a PC may elect to attack while prone, suffering an additional -2 penalty to attack and allowing the creature a +4 to attack.

The attacking creatures are mischiefs. They have already used their mirror image ability, so they seem to be 16 creatures attacking instead of five.

Mischief, snow (5): INT: Very; AL: CN; AC: 7; MV: 6, Fl 12; HD: 2+2; HP: 18,16,14,13,13; THAC0: 19; #AT:4 (claw, claw, bite tail); DMG: 1d4/1d4/1d4/1d6; SA: cold touch, innate spells; SD: mirror image; SZ: S; ML: 13.

Snow mischiefs are small, winged creatures from the para-elemental plane of ice. Loki brought the mischiefs here and asked them to "have-fun" with the mortals. The creatures attack the PCs, the jarl and Orast. They fight with reckless abandon, for when they drop to zero hit points, they are sent back to the para-elemental plane of ice. They use their vertigo ability (described in the text above) to disorient the characters and mirror image to confuse them. Their cold touch drains one point of Constitution each time they hit with a claw attack. The effect lasts one turn per successful claw hit, assuming that measures are taken to warm the affected victim. If the victim's Constitution reaches zero, he falls unconscious for a turn and awakes weak and unable to move until his Constitution reaches half of its original score. At that point, the victim can begin to move around again.

From "Runefire: Father Winter's Curse" by Steve Theis, Ed Wilson, Gary Watkins, and Walter Baas; Polyhedron #116

freyar

First things first: elemental or fey (extraplanar) (or something else)? I kind of like these as fey. Somehow it just seems right.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I prefer Echohawk's original assessment as elemental, since they do hail from the Parelemental Plane of Ice.

freyar

Sounds fine. Stats? Str looks about average to me from the attacks, so 10-11. Dex I'd guess to be pretty good, maybe 15ish. Con around 12? Int is supposed to be, what, around 14? Wis and Cha can probably be about 10-11.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I agree with most of that, except Cha. I think that should be high since they are tricksters, and their special abilities will probably be Cha-based. I'm thinking 15 or so.

"Very" Int is 11-12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads