• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Cleon

Legend
Shall we work on the background or the summoning spells first? I kind of like the red text you have in the spell as the background flavor.

Whichever suits you.

It sounds like you're leaning towards background first, if you're developing a liking for a particular background flavour.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
According to myth, cocoadaemons were created by a yugoloth lord to tempt non-evil casters with their chocolatey deliciousness. A solar then developed the chocodeva, a construct with identical statistics to a cocoadaemon except it has the Angel subtype. If a spellcaster summons both a chocodeva and a cocoadaemon, the two constructs will take every opportunity to insult the other and persuade the caster towards their ethical point of view, usually while sitting on the caster's shoulders.

Like other extraplanar constructs, such as retrievers, cocoadaemons and chocodevas are not built by mortals but by outsiders and then summoned to the Material Plane.

Cleon

Legend
According to myth, cocoadaemons were created by a yugoloth lord to tempt non-evil casters with their chocolatey deliciousness. A solar then developed the chocodeva, a construct with identical statistics to a cocoadaemon except it has the Angel subtype. If a spellcaster summons both a chocodeva and a cocoadaemon, the two constructs will take every opportunity to insult the other and persuade the caster towards their ethical point of view, usually while sitting on the caster's shoulders.

Like other extraplanar constructs, such as retrievers, cocoadaemons and chocodevas are not built by mortals but by outsiders and then summoned to the Material Plane.

We're using "chocolaty" not "chocolatey".

I'd also explicate the 'deva was created to oppose the Cocoadaemon.

We should say what spells can be used to conjure a cocoadaemon.

How's this revision...

According to myth, cocoadaemons were created by a yugoloth lord to tempt non-evil casters with their chocolatey deliciousness. A solar then developed a construct with similar attributes and the Angel subtype to oppose the cocoadaemon, the chocodeva. If a spellcaster summons both a chocodeva and a cocoadaemon, the two constructs will take every opportunity to insult the other and persuade the caster towards their ethical point of view, usually while sitting on the caster's shoulders.

Like other extraplanar constructs, such as retrievers, cocoadaemons and chocodevas are built by outsiders, not constructed by mortals. They can be summoned to the Material Plane by a summon monster ?? spell or the cocoadaemon/chocodeva spell.

freyar

That's funny, I just copied from your text. ;)

I'm not sure I'd allow them to be summoned via summon monster. I mean, they're not the kind of thing you'd need for just a few rounds, are they? I guess you could order a chocodeva to sacrifice itself for you, but should that be an evil act? Hmmmm.

Cleon

Legend
That's funny, I just copied from your text. ;)

Plagiarist. :p

Well, my text wasn't a final version, so I had room for improvement.

I'm not sure I'd allow them to be summoned via summon monster. I mean, they're not the kind of thing you'd need for just a few rounds, are they? I guess you could order a chocodeva to sacrifice itself for you, but should that be an evil act? Hmmmm.

Yeah, I guess we could drop the summon monster. It'd have to be pretty high level to compensate for the healing goodness.

freyar

Let's go with the above for flavor, then, dropping summon monster. And now we can work on the more permanent summoning spell. Let's see:

Cleon said:
Cocoadaemon/Chocodeva
Conjuration/Summoning [See Text]
Level: Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 3 hours
Range: ?
Effect: One cocoademon
Duration: Permanent until dispelled
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

With this spell, the chef creates a 10" tall demon-like creature made of chocolate, which can obey simple instructions from its creator (such as carrying light objects, stealing a small item, sounding an alarm in case of an unexpected visit, etc.). The cocoademon is of low intelligence and, though loyal to its creator, it likes practical jokes and causing mischief (but hates hot temperatures). It has 1 hp per level of the caster and an armor class of 10. The material component is 3 pounds of chocolate.

Short range would seem to make the most sense. Do we just need to add a description of the chocodeva and a discussion of good/evil descriptors? I guess I'd make it a good spell to summon the deva and evil to summon the daemon; the main question is if we want evil casters to summon the daemon automatically (and good the deva) or to give casters a choice (temptation to the other side)?

Cleon

Legend
Let's go with the above for flavor, then, dropping summon monster. And now we can work on the more permanent summoning spell. Let's see:

Short range would seem to make the most sense. Do we just need to add a description of the chocodeva and a discussion of good/evil descriptors? I guess I'd make it a good spell to summon the deva and evil to summon the daemon; the main question is if we want evil casters to summon the daemon automatically (and good the deva) or to give casters a choice (temptation to the other side)?

Shouldn't we base it on the standard summon monster spell, which means it should have a Close range.

freyar

Yes, I meant close range.

Cocoadaemon/Chocodeva
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One cocoademon or chocodeva

With this spell, the chef creates a 10" tall daemon- or angel-like creature made of chocolate, which can obey simple instructions from its creator (such as carrying light objects, stealing a small item, sounding an alarm in case of an unexpected visit, etc.). The cocoademon is of low intelligence and, though loyal to its summoner, it likes practical jokes and causing mischief (but hates hot temperatures). Chocodevas, in contrast, are merry but take a protective attitude toward their summoners. It has 1 hp per level of the caster and an armor class of 10. The material component is 3 pounds of chocolate.

I'm not sure I like the red text; shouldn't hp be based on the monster's HD?

Cleon

Legend
Yes, I meant close range.

Cocoadaemon/Chocodeva

With this spell, the chef creates a 10" tall daemon- or angel-like creature made of chocolate, which can obey simple instructions from its creator (such as carrying light objects, stealing a small item, sounding an alarm in case of an unexpected visit, etc.). The cocoademon is of low intelligence and, though loyal to its summoner, it likes practical jokes and causing mischief (but hates hot temperatures). Chocodevas, in contrast, are merry but take a protective attitude toward their summoners. It has 1 hp per level of the caster and an armor class of 10. The material component is 3 pounds of chocolate.

I'm not sure I like the red text; shouldn't hp be based on the monster's HD?

I'm fine giving them standard hit points.

If it has a "HP based on summoner" version it would probably be a special familiar.

freyar

In that case, let's add the following flavor to both of them, as discussed above:

According to myth, cocoadaemons were created by a yugoloth lord to tempt non-evil casters with their chocolatey deliciousness. A solar then developed a construct with similar attributes and the Angel subtype to oppose the cocoadaemon, the chocodeva. If a spellcaster summons both a chocodeva and a cocoadaemon, the two constructs will take every opportunity to insult the other and persuade the caster towards their ethical point of view, usually while sitting on the caster's shoulders.

Like other extraplanar constructs, such as retrievers, cocoadaemons and chocodevas are built by outsiders, not constructed by mortals. They can be summoned to the Material Plane by the cocoadaemon/chocodeva spell.

and the spell

Cocoadaemon/Chocodeva

With this spell, the chef creates a 10" tall daemon- or angel-like creature made of chocolate, which can obey simple instructions from its creator (such as carrying light objects, stealing a small item, sounding an alarm in case of an unexpected visit, etc.). The cocoademon is of low intelligence and, though loyal to its summoner, it likes practical jokes and causing mischief (but hates hot temperatures). Chocodevas, in contrast, are merry but take a protective attitude toward their summoners. The material component is 3 pounds of chocolate.

Given that they're built by outsiders, we have no need for construction requirements, agreed? (Just like the retriever.) I think they're done.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads