• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

So we're saving the ankh for the typhonic mummy? In that case, stick with bites and slams for this one?

That seems backwards to me. Wasn't Anubis depicted with an Ankh far more often than Set? If I recall correctly, there are many images of the Jackal-headed god holding an ankh to the mouth of a dead person it's giving "life after death" too, but after a bit of Googling I could only find a couple of images of Set with an ankh (they're from the early history of Egypt before Set was viewed mostly as a malevolent god).

So, I'd rather have the Typhonic Beast have the claws & bite & gaze attack, and the Anubis version have an Ankh with powers of life and death.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I'd just kind of assumed the "beast" would be more melee-centric, but I'm not averse to switching them.

Shade

Monster Junkie
As much as we'd like. We have essentially free reign here, since the original writeups were nearly non-existent.

freyar

Well, I'm willing do whatever as long as these fit more or less in line with the other composite mummies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I propose we either limit the ankh to the typhonic beast version, or drop the curse of the jackal and give it to the jackal headed variety. We'd then need something interesting for the typhonic beast version.

freyar

That was the original suggestion, but Cleon objected due to Egyptological concerns. Perhaps we can get him to agree if we're separating from the real world?

Cleon

Legend
That was the original suggestion, but Cleon objected due to Egyptological concerns. Perhaps we can get him to agree if we're separating from the real world?

I'd prefer to drop the Curse of the Jackal and give the Jackal-headed version a Black Ankh, and maybe give the Typhonic version some other interesting plus give something else.

So, what interesting Set-related powers can we think of...

A spell-like ability related to deserts, storms or darkness?

Perhaps word of chaos 1/day or maybe storm of vengeance 1/week - it may be a 9th level spell, but it doesn't do that much damage (10d6 lightning plus 5d6 bludgeoning plus deafness and obscurement).

The ability to summon demonic assistants or desert monsters (fiendish monstrous scorpions)?

Or what about a was sceptre - a "symbol of power, domination and control over the forces of chaos". Hmm, we could give it weapon stats and have it be the source of the previously mentioned SLA - although in that case we'll need to give the Anubis/Jackal version a corresponding SLA.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads