Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, I'd agree about Multiattack.

We need something about the "severed limb attack," unless we just want to ditch that. Here's a start:

Severed Limb Attack (Ex): If one of a troll mutate's arms is cut off, the arm attacks the troll mutate's enemies with its usual attack bonus and damage, although it takes penalties for attacking while prone. The severed arm acts on the troll mutate's initiative and remains animate for 2d4 rounds if it is not reattached to the troll mutate.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since there are no standard "severing a limb" rules/options, we'll need to explain how that might happen.

We could borrow from the kraken, etc. for methods of severing a limb, or follow the original more closely and give a chance that on a critical hit, a limb may be severed. Thoughts?

freyar

Hmm, wonder why they talk about this with trolls and other creatures with regeneration, then? Anyway, I'd just suggest using the sunder rules. Maybe 10 hp each arm?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Hmm, wonder why they talk about this with trolls and other creatures with regeneration, then? Anyway, I'd just suggest using the sunder rules. Maybe 10 hp each arm?

I've often wondered that myself. I miss the sword of sharpness and its wacky severing. :lol:

freyar

Heh, could always just modify the vorpal sword...

Anyway, what do you think? Successful sunder attempt vs AC of troll mutate dealing 10hp? Or more?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like the idea of the critical hit taking off a limb. Something like:

Impeded Fortification (Ex): A troll mutate's odd combination of alien anatomy and fragility protects it from critical hits, but at a cost. A troll mutate has a 25% chance to ignore the extra damage dealt by any critical hit or sneak attack, but any successful critical hit or sneak attack causes one of its arms to be torn from its body. The arm, however, continues to attack.

And I say that the mutate matriarch is different enough that she warrants her own statblock.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Great! Updated.

Environment: x (Cold mountains for regular trolls doesn't really work well here, considering they share their habitats with myconids and gibbering mouthers)

Treasure: x (Regular trolls have standard)

Advancement: x (Regular trolls or by character class, but I could see at least some HD progression for these things)

freyar

How about underground and mountains?

Standard treasure.

I'd say 4-6 HD (Large) or by character class for advancement.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

How about changing this...

"A troll mutate with more than 2 mutations has CR X."

...to this...

"For every two additional mutations, increase the CR of the troll mutate by 1."

Matriarch Mutate

This creature rules the troll mutates with an iron claw. She is a 6+6 Hit Die creature with two heads, giving her an extra bite attack. The second head also gives her a psionic wild talent, 30 PSPs, and a variation of the project force devotion. If she does not use any bite attacks, she can user her psionic attack, in addition to her other attacks. The psionic attack, usable up to three times per day, is triggered with a roll of 16 or less on 1d20 and inflicts 2d6 points plus the target's AC in damage (negative ACs reduce the damage).

The queen has only two arms, but has a fully functional tentacle-like tail that she can whip over her heads to deliver a stunning blow for 1d6+3 points of damage.

Here's how she looks without any ability score changes. I'd recommend increasing all the mental ability scores, though.

Troll Mutate Monarch
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d4+4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 melee (1d4+4) and 2 bites +5 melee (1d8+2) and tail +5 melee (1d6+6 plus stun)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Mutations, psionics, rend 2d4+6, severed limb attack, stun
Special Qualities: Darkvision 90 ft., impeded fortification, low-light vision, mutations, regeneration 5, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 5, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills: 9
Feats: Alertness, Multiattack, 1 more
Environment: Any mountains and underground
Organization: Solitary, gang (2–4), or tribe (4-24 plus one matriarch)
Challenge Rating: x
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: x
Level Adjustment: +5

Remove ads