• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You know, I don't think I'd change the HD size, just following the idea that these things are largely physically unchanged from the base creature.

Anyway, for special attacks, how about "A Phlegamor's servant loses all special attacks derived from character classes, all Sp abilities, and all special attacks with Int-based, Wis-based, or Cha-based save DCs."? Think we should make the SQ line more specific also?

Cleon

Legend
You know, I don't think I'd change the HD size, just following the idea that these things are largely physically unchanged from the base creature.

Well they must have some physical changes, since they gain a Construct's bonus hit points and don't have a Constitution score.

Besides, it's debatable how much of the hit points come from the physical form anyway. A human wizard and human barbarian have very different hit dice, but their humanoid forms would be pretty similar.

Anyway, for special attacks, how about "A Phlegamor's servant loses all special attacks derived from character classes, all Sp abilities, and all special attacks with Int-based, Wis-based, or Cha-based save DCs."?

Think we should make the SQ line more specific also?

Something like it retains extraordinary special qualities that are physical but loses those based on its original mental attributes (like, say, telepathy or Hostile Mind). Oh, and it gains the normal Construct special qualities.

freyar

True enough; I don't really object to changing HD size and mostly just wanted to throw the idea out there.

Would something similar to my proposal for SAs work for SQs in your opinion?

Cleon

Legend
True enough; I don't really object to changing HD size and mostly just wanted to throw the idea out there.

Would something similar to my proposal for SAs work for SQs in your opinion?

Well there aren't that many Special Qualities that have DCs, let alone ones based on mental attributes.

The trick is to phrase it so it's reasonably clear which abilities are physical (and retained) and which required the original mind (and are lost).

freyar

True enough. Hmmm.

What about this?
Special Qualities: A Phlegamor's servant loses special qualities based on character classes or the base creature's original mind but retains special qualities based on the base creature's physical attributes. In addition, it gains the following special qualities.

Cleon

Legend
True enough. Hmmm.

What about this?
Special Qualities: A Phlegamor's servant loses special qualities based on character classes or the base creature's original mind but retains special qualities based on the base creature's physical attributes. In addition, it gains the following special qualities.

The problem is that "the base creature's original mind" is a rather vague definition. How is the proverbial DM in a hurry to decide whether a power is mental or not when there isn't a definition of a "mind"?

Hmm... I think we ought to be able to work something out using the SRD definitions for "mind-affecting abilities"?

Remove ads