• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, HD/2 is a lot better. I was thinking about low-level types. What do you think about the martial types?

Cleon

Legend
OK, CR+1 it is for the martial ones. Are we roughly happy with HD/2 for casters?

I slightly lent towards plain CR for the Martial ones, but CR +1 is tolerable.

HD/2 is fine for the caster-types. Challenge Ratings are always an inexact science, so there's little point fussing too much about them.

So, that just leaves how to phrase it.

How about:

Challenge Rating: Equals base creature's CR +1, unless the base creature's power depended on mind-based abilities that were lost when it became a Phlegamor's Servant, such as a sorcerer or psionic monster. In which case the CR equals the Servant's Hit Dice divided by 2.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Hey guys, what are the chances that the Phlegamor's Servant could be finished up by June 12th? We just ended our session last night and I stopped it right as 2 of these creatures appeared in a doorway ready for a fight. So we will begin our next game rolling initiative. I do have the homebrew version ready to go, but I would really like to use your official version since you guys have been doing all this hard work pretty much just because I asked for it. I'd like to put it to good use and let you know how it went so your work doesn't go to waste.

Cleon

Legend
Hey guys, what are the chances that the Phlegamor's Servant could be finished up by June 12th? We just ended our session last night and I stopped it right as 2 of these creatures appeared in a doorway ready for a fight. So we will begin our next game rolling initiative. I do have the homebrew version ready to go, but I would really like to use your official version since you guys have been doing all this hard work pretty much just because I asked for it. I'd like to put it to good use and let you know how it went so your work doesn't go to waste.

We've almost finished the template, so we ought to be able to finish it by that deadline (if Freyar pulls his thumb out and gets on with his share:p). Alternatively, you could always pitch in and help finish it, Oryan.

The template is basically back-engineered from the Homebrew Phlegamor's Servant, so the sample creature is likely to be almost the same if not identical, depending on whether we use the same stock 4th level human fighter as a base creature.

Githyanki are non-OGL so I think we shouldn't include a Githyanki version in the sample creatures of the version of this template we post to the CC (assuming it ever get working again)!

I'm quite happy to post a Githyanki version on this thread, though. At its simplest it's just a matter of adding the relevant Githyanki racial adjustments to a 4th level human fighter - +2 Dex, 60 ft. darkvision and SR 9.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Alternatively, you could always pitch in and help finish it, Oryan.

Heh, trust me, I keep up with this thread weekly and I would help if I could. I'm not very experienced with creature building and I feel like any attempts that I've made helping you guys have been more of a crutch than helpful. You guys know yer stuff and I don't think my input has ever been beneficial to you. The responses have pretty much always been reasons why "not to use my suggestions". Not that I'm complaining. You guys know better than I do and I don't want to slow you down.

Cleon

Legend
Heh, trust me, I keep up with this thread weekly and I would help if I could. I'm not very experienced with creature building and I feel like any attempts that I've made helping you guys have been more of a crutch than helpful. You guys know yer stuff and I don't think my input has ever been beneficial to you. The responses have pretty much always been reasons why "not to use my suggestions". Not that I'm complaining. You guys know better than I do and I don't want to slow you down.

As you like.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I say we start with the basic sample and then throw together a gith! Now that we've agreed on CR, the template itself is ready to go.

So, 4th level human fighter. The longsword and shield work for me. Is there anything left to choose? Skills and feats are already determined.

Cleon

Legend
Well, I say we start with the basic sample and then throw together a gith! Now that we've agreed on CR, the template itself is ready to go.

Updating the Phlegamor's Servant Working Draft.

So, 4th level human fighter. The longsword and shield work for me. Is there anything left to choose? Skills and feats are already determined.

We need to upgrade the equipment.

The Homebrew version only has ordinary weapons and masterwork armour, based on the stock equipment the Phlegamor's Servants in the original adventure had.

It should have the standard gear value of a 4th level NPC, which is 3,300 gp.

That's enough to cover a +1 longsword (2315 gp) and the masterwork chain & shield (459) while leaving 526 gp to spend.

I'm thinking we should give the servant a ranged weapon. We've got enough spare cash to buy a composite longbow [+3 Str], which is a pretty standard weapon for a stock fighter.

That would leave 125 gp. Maybe add an everburning torch (110 gp) and assume the remaining change is spend on odds-and-ends like clothing?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads