• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from the second edition Monstrous Compendiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krishnath

First Post
BOZ said:
i'm in favor of keep arrow swarm and remove natural armor. :)
I agree with Boz on that one. (Hi everbody! *waves*)

Also, a note on the LA, as it is obviously needed before you make a huge mistake.

The LA needs to be +3, trust me on this one.

Two bonus attacks with their bow (sure it won't deal a lot of damage due to their size, but when you start factoring in some of the things that can be done with arrows, such as poison or fire, nasty) for one is enough to increase their LA by one, then when you factor in the other stuff like the incredibly unbalanced ability scores. On the other hand, the climb speed should not increase the LA as it is a movement type that is not gamebreaking, unlike flying.

Anyway:

-1 for size.
+1 for Arrow Swarm.
+1 for unbalanced ability scores.
+1 for skill bonuses.
+1 for the +2 bonus on all saves.

It's really the last one of thos listed that boosts it to LA +3.

Just saying, that's all.

LegacyKing

First Post
*Waves back at Krish* Hey long time no see, welcome to the 'Great Debate' (C)

LA+1 for the saves? Hmm, I was under the impression the saves were akin to the Halfling save of +1. Does the saves really make them that much tougher to GM? I suppose we could knocked it down to +1 across the board if it is really that big a deal.

I agree, the climb speed isn't all that. Flyers can cause more difficulty than a climber.

Wow, I should do "Bueller" more often, it seems to get results.

Ok, keep the "devasting" Arrow Swarm for a cool racial edge (love the phrase Shade), drop the Natural Armor (Yeah, really thick fur) *chuckle*.

Consensus people - LA +2 or LA +3? I think LA+2 is right for the power level. Super archers they are, I think starting ECL of 3 is good as is. Shade, Boz? I vote LA+2 (Shucks the werewolf is a bigger headache to GM than a Kercpa, trust me on that.)

Phew, other than the LA debate I think the Kercpa is done... Unless there is something I missed.

What is next on the Menu? *Grabs fork and knife* :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I still stand by my original assessment of +3, but I won't curl up into a fetal position and cry myself to sleep if the consesus is +2. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
either is fine by me. legacy - if the LA winds up being too high for your campaign, you can always remove some of the bonuses and that will bring the LA down to a more manageable level for you. :)

LegacyKing

First Post
Boz: I'll keep it at LA+2 for my campaign. (The power of the GM is strong).

My vote is LA+2 but the group wisdom of converters seems to go for LA+3. Personally I'm using the variant rules from UA for buying down Level Adjustment at certain levels. Of all the numbers, LA seems to be the most 'subjective'

Great Job everybody.

Krishnath

First Post
LegacyKing said:
*Waves back at Krish* Hey long time no see, welcome to the 'Great Debate' (C)

LA+1 for the saves? Hmm, I was under the impression the saves were akin to the Halfling save of +1. Does the saves really make them that much tougher to GM? I suppose we could knocked it down to +1 across the board if it is really that big a deal.

The halfling gets the save bonus as compensation for their small size, can't have a LA -1 race now, can we? :p

Same reason the Gnome gets its magical abilities.

Shade

Monster Junkie
LegacyKing said:
My vote is LA+2 but the group wisdom of converters seems to go for LA+3. Personally I'm using the variant rules from UA for buying down Level Adjustment at certain levels. Of all the numbers, LA seems to be the most 'subjective'

We're using these too. I think this is one of the best ideas ever. Now players aren't so bummed about being aasimars at epic-levels, being a level behind and regretting that they weren't just humans in the first place. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i beleive there was a request awhile back... ;)

GrayLinnorm said:
If you're finished with these guys, I would love to see the sea hermit (from Monstrous Compendium Annual 4) converted. Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads