Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Before I post the First Sword's stats, I'd better offer some background.

All the seven swords are undead weapon masters. They are pretty much "solid ghosts" whose existence is tied to an ancient curse. If they are "killed" they vanish, but will eventually reappear unless the curse is broken.

Each of the seven swords has a small sword-shaped charm which is one of the keys to breaking the curse (the PCs have to "collect the set" and put them in a magic medallion which they use to defeat the monster that is responsible for the curse).

We might want to make the "sword" charm something like a lich's phylactery if we don't want to tie them to the original "ancient curse" fluff.

So, basically they're all unique Medium Undead (Spirit) with a ghost's rejuvenation.

Cleon

Legend
Reaper
This stone gardener’s shack is surrounded by a rusting iron fence whose gate hangs loose and creaking in the wind. The jagged shadow of the fence reminds you of raised spears.

The door of the stone hut stands open, and those who look in see a full backpack in fair condition leaning against a weathered bench. No one seems to be about.

This is the lair of the Reaper, a kensai and first of the seven weapon masters. If the fence or gate is touched in any way, the wind howls, lightning flashes, and the earth trembles. A round later, the earth before the fence mounds and the Reaper erupts from the ground, holding a scythe. Whistling to himself, and with an evil leer, he steps forward to begin his harvest.

His scythe is a special weapon and he is capable of several special actions with it. He reveals one of these maneuvers every time he is pressed or one each round, whichever happens first.

Sweep: The Reaper must hit AC 10. The opponent must make a dexterity save at a +4 penalty to maintain his feet, but loses initiative next round.

Block: The Reaper must hit AC 10. Any of his attacks can be used to parry an incoming blow with the iron haft of his weapon.

Seven Blades: The weapon blade extends like an umbrella into seven separate blades. During the first round, a single weapon catch attack can be made. The second and later rounds, the blades are fully extended, giving a him a total with all his bonuses of +1 to hit and +7 to damage on up to three weapon attacks, plus three free blocks.

Propeller Attack: With the blades extended, he can, as a single action, attack all opponents within five feet in all directions. This maneuver also gives him an AC of 0.

When he is defeated he shrivels up like a dried pod. Around his neck is a chain with a small, katana-shaped charm that fits into one of the seven slots of the medallion.

In the shack is an everfull grain sack that refills itself every fortnight. There is also a watering pot of the kappa; a plant sprinkled with the pure water from this pot gains a full year’s growth in a single turn. The pot refills itself each day.

Reaper: 9th level kensai; AC 2; MV 12”; hp 81; #AT 3; THAC0 9; Dmg 1d8+3; S 15, I 12, W 13, D 18, C 17, Ch 8; Ki: maximum damage on blow.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's pretty bare-bones, if you'll pardon the expression.

The sword charm as something like a phylactery could work. Maybe the key to destroying the charms can be related to the curse somehow?

As for the reaper, at 4.5 hp per HD, that gives him 18 HD vs 9th level kensai status. How do you want to deal with that?

Cleon

Legend
That's pretty bare-bones, if you'll pardon the expression.

The sword charm as something like a phylactery could work. Maybe the key to destroying the charms can be related to the curse somehow?

Yes, I fancied adding some "breaking the curse" flavour to methods for destroying the charm.

We could just have it so that all seven of the charms have to be destroyed together to permanently destroy the Seven Swords, otherwise the charms and the Sword spirits will reappear?

As for the reaper, at 4.5 hp per HD, that gives him 18 HD vs 9th level kensai status. How do you want to deal with that?

The original stats gave the Reaper a Constitution score and presumably Con bonuses to hit points, despite him (it?) not being alive, so I'd give it a higher Charisma and the Unholy Toughness SQ.

freyar

Definitely better than Cha 8. In that case, 9HD Medium undead? The suggested scores are Str 15, Dex 18, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 8. Revise to Str 15, Dex 18, Con -, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 17? Make the attacks finessable?

Cleon

Legend
Definitely better than Cha 8. In that case, 9HD Medium undead? The suggested scores are Str 15, Dex 18, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 8. Revise to Str 15, Dex 18, Con -, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 17?

That'll do for a start, but I wouldn't mind increasing the Strength and Wisdom to accord with 3rd edition monster inflation.

Make the attacks finessable?

Most of the "Seven Swords" are basically melee combatants, so I'm thinking they need some kind of full BAB special attack ability like the Skleros's Martial Training:

Martial Training (Ex): Skleros were talented fighters in life, and retain the martial training they once possessed. Skleros possess the base attack bonus of a fighter of their level, and qualify for feats as if they were fighters of a level equal to their Hit Dice. Despite being mindless, a skleros gains feats as if it had an Intelligence score, and gains bonus feats as a fighter of a level equal to its Hit Dice. They are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

We'll probably want to modify that to reflect the class(es) of the Sword in question.

Oh, and an enormous size doesn't seem an ideal Finesse weapon.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, and we should probably steal some of the stuff from the Kensei Weapon Master prestige class in Oriental Adventures.

Prereqs:
BAB +5
Skills: Intimidate 4 ranks
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Combat Reflexes, Expertise, Weapon Focus (with weapon of choice), Whirlwind Attack.
Special: Must own a masterwork weapon of choice.

A 9th level Kensei has +9 BAB, Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +3 and the following special abilities:
Ki Critical - gains Improved Critical (weapon of choice) for free, or +2 to threat range if the kensei already has Improved Critical.
Increased Multiplier 4/day - increases damage multiplier on critical hit, declares before rolling damage.
Superior Weapon Bonus - +1 to attack with Weapon of Choice (stacks with other Weapon Focus bonuses).
Superior Combat Reflexes - Attacks of opportunity equals Dex bonus plus Wis bonus.
Ki Whirlwind Attack - makes Whirlwind Attack as a standard action.

I think we can use most of that!

freyar

What enormous size do you mean?

I could see going to Str 19 or 21, maybe Wis 17.

Yes to Martial Training. And, yes, most of the kensei weapon master stuff seems to fit the original Reaper's attacks, too.

Cleon

Legend

Weird.

I'm sure that was "an enormous scythe doesn't seem an ideal Finesse weapon" when I typed it.

I could see going to Str 19 or 21, maybe Wis 17.

Strength 19 would be adequate, but I have no objection to going higher. A Vampire has a +6 Strength in the SRD, suggesting we could go as high as 25.

Strength 19 will do for me, it'll give the scythe a 2d4+6 damage, which seems fine.

I'm OK with increasing the Wisdom, but 15 would be enough for me. An SRD Spectre and Ghast both have Wis 14, and a Vampire has a +2 racial bonus to Wisdom, so that seems to be enough.

Str 19, Dex 18, Con —, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 17

Yes to Martial Training. And, yes, most of the kensei weapon master stuff seems to fit the original Reaper's attacks, too.

I think that's enough to begin a Working Draft.

Remove ads