Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Umm, yes. That's a real McGuffin adventure!

So how tough do you want to make it to destroy the charms? Not worse than a phylactery, I'd think.

Well I don't think a standard charm needs to be as tough as a phylactery, but your proposed stats seem a bit flimsy - a Str 10 creature could snap one with their Break DC 20.

Maybe keep the 20 hit points and give it hardness 12, Break DC 24?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm. I guess I'll go along with that, even if not too many characters are going to be able to make that Break DC very often at the likely CR.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. I guess I'll go along with that, even if not too many characters are going to be able to make that Break DC very often at the likely CR.

I'm not bothered much if there's no PCs with Strength 18+. A party of the likely CR should be able to hit that DC using bull's strength, Aid Another or just an appropriate tool.

freyar

OK, then, just this?

Rejuvenation (Su): The Reaper cannot be destroyed through simple combat. If "destroyed" its body will crumble away to dust, leaving a small charm shaped like a sword. X later The Reaper reappears at full strength at whatever place it haunted and the sword charm vanishes. The Reaper can only be destroyed permanently if the sword charm is destroyed before The Reaper rejuvenates. A typical sword charm is a Fine sized object with 20 hp, hardness 12, and break DC 24.

How much later? 1d6 days?

Cleon

Legend
OK, then, just this?

Rejuvenation (Su): The Reaper cannot be destroyed through simple combat. If "destroyed" its body will crumble away to dust, leaving a small charm shaped like a sword. X later The Reaper reappears at full strength at whatever place it haunted and the sword charm vanishes. The Reaper can only be destroyed permanently if the sword charm is destroyed before The Reaper rejuvenates. A typical sword charm is a Fine sized object with 20 hp, hardness 12, and break DC 24.

How much later? 1d6 days?

I was thinking longer than that. Maybe 1d12 months?

freyar

That's a long time. Is there anything in the adventure to support that? I wouldn't mind having them pop back up to terrorize the PCs a bit sooner (so they don't gain too many levels in the meantime).

Cleon

Legend
That's a long time. Is there anything in the adventure to support that? I wouldn't mind having them pop back up to terrorize the PCs a bit sooner (so they don't gain too many levels in the meantime).

There's nothing in the adventure to support them popping back in the timeframe of the adventure. Indeed, from what I remember of it there's nothing concrete about them having rejuvenation - just a few throwaway remarks about them being cursed into becoming immortal undead spirits.

freyar

OK, all I have to go on is what you listed. But I think, if we're given the leeway, I'd rather have them come back while they're still a credible thread to the PCs. How about 2d10 or 3d10 days?

Cleon

Legend
OK, all I have to go on is what you listed. But I think, if we're given the leeway, I'd rather have them come back while they're still a credible thread to the PCs. How about 2d10 or 3d10 days?

Very well, how about we give the dodecahedron a bit of attention and make it 2d12?

freyar

That'll work.

Rejuvenation (Su): The Reaper cannot be destroyed through simple combat. If "destroyed" its body will crumble away to dust, leaving a small charm shaped like a sword. 2d12 days later The Reaper reappears at full strength at whatever place it haunted and the sword charm vanishes. The Reaper can only be destroyed permanently if the sword charm is destroyed before The Reaper rejuvenates. A typical sword charm is a Fine sized object with 20 hp, hardness 12, and break DC 24.

Remove ads