Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
List Martial Artistry under the SQs. I think you meant to do that. ;)

We've already got Martial Artistry under Special Attacks - do you want it listed in both special ability lines?

Don't list evasion and fast movement separately under the SQs, since they're part of Martial Artistry. I guess I'm not as much of a stickler on this point.

I'd rather be a stickler Having them listed makes it easier for the DM to remember to apply its abilities in the heat of combat - especially Evasion.

Skills: Balance, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Tumble, Use Rope ????

Those look fine to me. Shall I update the Working Draft with those skills figured in?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Martial Artistry is an SQ, not a Special Attack, since it's not, you know, an attack. ;)

Sure, list Fast Movement and Evasion separately then. And let's go ahead with those skills.

On to other stuff. The Reaper's weapons didn't count as anything in particular, so I guess I'd leave that off from the Maidens unless we have some reason in the original monster.

We also need to specify the weakness. It's supposed to be "the veil," from the original text, but that's really not specified. Maybe if all the Steel Cloth weapons are sundered, the Veiled Maidens is defeated?

Cleon

Legend
Martial Artistry is an SQ, not a Special Attack, since it's not, you know, an attack. ;)

It's a "monklike" equivalent to the Martial Training we've been giving some CC monsters, which we've consistently listed as a SA.

Sure, list Fast Movement and Evasion separately then. And let's go ahead with those skills.

I'll try to remember to include that in the next update.

On to other stuff. The Reaper's weapons didn't count as anything in particular, so I guess I'd leave that off from the Maidens unless we have some reason in the original monster.

I don't mind leaving it out. There isn't anything about the veils being treated as an enchanted weapon in the original.

We also need to specify the weakness. It's supposed to be "the veil," from the original text, but that's really not specified. Maybe if all the Steel Cloth weapons are sundered, the Veiled Maidens is defeated?

A relatively direct interpretation of the original would be to have the Veiled Maidens take damage if their veils are damaged. Either have them take damage equal to damage done to a veil, or have them take damage if their veil is sundered (or maybe half the veil's HP, like sundering a tentacle?).

We could also say that a "severed" portion of the veil still counts as part of the Veiled Maidens for targeting purposes, and if it is destroyed (by fire, for example) the associated Maidens' body takes some damage.

Plus, the severed portions won't be protected by the Maidens' Steel Cloth ability, remember.

freyar

Hmmm, I wonder why we made Martial Training a Special Attack, though? Ah well.

I think I'd go with the "veils = tentacles" option for the weakness, so half damage from sundered veils applies to the Maidens?

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, I wonder why we made Martial Training a Special Attack, though? Ah well.

Seems we've made enough changes for me to update the Veiled Maidens Working Draft then.

I think I'd go with the "veils = tentacles" option for the weakness, so half damage from sundered veils applies to the Maidens?

Hold on a moment, the veils only have 2 hit points, so that's only 1 point of damage. Hardly seems worth keeping track of.

How about, if a veil is separated from a Veiled Maidens (by disarming, being cut off, use of Sleight of Hand etc), the veil has the same hit points as the Veiled Maidens' body it came from, and damage to the veil damages the associated body on a 1:1 basis.

Cleon

Legend
OK, that seems reasonable. I'll go for that.

How's this:

Special Weakness - Veils (Ex): Each of the seven swords have a different special weakness. The Veiled Maidens' is that its existence is tied to its veils. If a veil, or part of one, is separated from a Veiled Maidens (by being disarmed, sundered, stolen by Sleight of Hand, et cetera), any damage done to the separated veil is also inflicted upon the Veiled Maidens' body it was taken from. Should a Veiled Maidens' body be destroyed, all veils that have been separated from that body are also destroyed. A Veiled Maidens can "re-attach" lost portions of its veil as a free action, simply by regaining possession of the veil(s) with any of its bodies.

freyar

Looks good. It's a bit wonky, but anything we do for this is going to be.

Didn't we decide we'd take care of Stunning Blow with the Stunning Fist feat? In fact, I'd make Stunning Fist a bonus to make sure they always get it.

For feats, maybe Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Improved Grapple, Stunning Fist(B), Tumble, Weapon Finesse? I've not listed the "monk feats" separately, but they're Imp Grapple and Deflect Arrows.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good. It's a bit wonky, but anything we do for this is going to be.

Updating the Veiled Maidens Working Draft.

Didn't we decide we'd take care of Stunning Blow with the Stunning Fist feat? In fact, I'd make Stunning Fist a bonus to make sure they always get it.

Yes we did.

For feats, maybe Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Improved Grapple, Stunning Fist(B), Tumble, Weapon Finesse? I've not listed the "monk feats" separately, but they're Imp Grapple and Deflect Arrows.

Why do you have "Tumble" listed as a feat? I suggest replacing it with Combat Expertise.

The Improved Grab and Deflect Arrows should be listed as (B)onus feats if they're "monk feats" - especially as they both have Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite and it doesn't have that feat.

e.g.:

Feats:
Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows (B), Improved Grapple (B), Stunning Fist (B), Weapon Finesse

freyar

That "Tumble" must have been some kind of brain freeze. I remember thinking about Combat Expertise at some point, anyway.

I never know if class-based bonus feats should be listed with a (B), and I don't think we've been entirely consistent. They're certainly different conceptually than racial bonus feats, and it would be good to indicate in some way that Stunning Fist isn't one that could be changed out by different "monk choices."

Remove ads