• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Four 3d6 bolts works for me.

Do we need to reduce the base damage of the natural attacks? I think the lower Str should suffice.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks like we just need to revise CR, advancement, and height/weight. Is there anything else?

CR maybe 20 or 21?
Advancement: 27-36 HD (Gargantuan), 37-50 HD (Colossal) sort of roughly following the chi'lin?

Cleon

Legend
Four 3d6 bolts works for me.

Do we need to reduce the base damage of the natural attacks? I think the lower Str should suffice.

I was going to nudge their natural weapons down a bit, just to make them a bit more different from the females.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I was going to nudge their natural weapons down a bit, just to make them a bit more different from the females.

Nah, that just seems unnecesary, and a bit arbitrary. We can nudge the Str down more if you feel it's necessary.

Updated.

I think all that remains is this...

A typical adult duru grows to x feet in length, stands x feet high at the shoulder, and weighs x tons.

Cleon

Legend
Nah, that just seems unnecesary, and a bit arbitrary. We can nudge the Str down more if you feel it's necessary.

I think it'd be worth dropping their Strength to 32. At the moment it's only their bite that does different damage.

A typical adult duru grows to x feet in length, stands x feet high at the shoulder, and weighs x tons.

Well the females are 25% longer and have a sturdier build, which suggests something like:

A typical adult duru grows to 50 feet in length, stands 35 feet high at the shoulder, and weighs 150 tons.

(A crude rescaling off the female to those dimensions would weigh ~180 tons, then I shaved off a sixth of the weight.)

Cleon

Legend
The reduced Str is ok, sure. Size sounds fine, too.

Looking good! The only bit I'd change is the Challenge Rating.

They're got 6 HD less than the female but are only one CR less. Six Outsider HD are worth 3 Challenge Ratings under the advancement rules, and they have a lower Str and weaker bolt attacks to boot.

I'm thinking CR should be somewhere around 18-20, but I'm not quite sure were.

Remove ads