• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
In that case, which ideas do we want to include?

Expanding radius of damage for multiple critters?
Increased damage over time?
Knocking people prone?

Cleon

Legend
In that case, which ideas do we want to include?

Expanding radius of damage for multiple critters?
Increased damage over time?
Knocking people prone?

I'm thinking something like this:

Shake the Earth (Ex): A jishin mushi beetle can create a localized earthquake by rhythmically striking the ground with its abdomen as a full-round action. Any creature within 10 feet of a jishin mushi must make a DC X Reflex save each round it uses this ability or fall prone as the ground lurches and buckles beneath it. Jishin mushi are immune to shake the earth generated by themselves or other jishin mushi and never need to save against the effect.

A jishin mushi creates destructive vibrations if it continues to shake the earth. On each round of shaking after the first, all creatures and objects within range (except other jishin mushi) take Y sonic damage, with a DC Z Fortitude save for half damage. Buildings take double damage from shake the earth unless they are specially designed to resist earth tremors.

If multiple jishin mushi use their shake the earth ability in the same round, the radius and intensity of the effect expands as the resonance in the ground combines. For every jishin mushi within 5 feet using shake the earth, the radius of the effect expands by another 5 feet. In addition, for every two additional beetles the damage done by prolonged use of shake the earth increases by Z. Thus, three knell beetles within 5 feet using the ability would generate an effect that affects all creatures within 20 feet of any one of the knell beetles and does 2Z damage.

Creatures with stability or that are considered stable against trip attempts receive a bonus on their Reflex save as if they were being tripped (so a dwarf would receive the +4 bonus on the save to resist being knocked prone). The save DC is Strength-based.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I quite like the original's "fly away to avoid the earthquake schtik". How about this for an alternative:

#1 give the earthquake beetle resistance to sonic damage.

Shake the Earth (Ex) [Take Two]: A jishin mushi beetle can create a localized earthquake by rhythmically striking the ground with its abdomen as a standard action. This process takes up to three rounds. Buildings take double damage from shake the earth unless they are specially designed to resist earth tremors.

On the first round, any creature within 10 feet of the jishin mushi (except for a jishin mushi) must make a DC A Reflex save or fall prone as the ground lurches and buckles beneath it. They must save again on each subsequent round of shake the earth to maintain their footing.

On the second round, the jishin mushi creates destructive vibrations that do X sonic damage to all creatures and objects within range (except other jishin mushi), with a DC B Fortitude save for half damage.

On the third round, the jishin mushi cracks the earth open, doing Y damage to all creatures within range that are standing on the ground (DC C Reflex save for half damage). The jishin mushi is not immune to this damage, so will fly away before the mini-quake strikes. It will only take damage if it unable to flee.

If multiple jishin mushi use their shake the earth ability in the same round, the radius and intensity of the effect expands as the resonance in the ground combines. For every jishin mushi within 5 feet using shake the earth, the radius of the effect expands by another 5 feet. In addition, for every two additional beetles the damage done increases by one dice. Thus, three knell beetles within 5 feet using the ability would generate an effect that affects all creatures within 20 feet of any one of the knell beetles and does 2X sonic damage on the second round and 2Z damage on the third.

Creatures with stability or that are considered stable against trip attempts receive a bonus on their Reflex save as if they were being tripped (so a dwarf would receive the +4 bonus on the save to resist being knocked prone). The save DC is Strength-based.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I think I prefer take 2.

So do I.

What damage do you fancy? I was originally thinking 1d4 for round 2 and 1d8 for round 3, but that seems rather weak for a 5 HD Strength 26 monster.

Maybe 1d8 on round 2 and 1d12 on round 3, with an additional dice for every 2 extra beetles? That is a similar damage to Trampling, which seems appropriate.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
So "3.5 rules doubling" per extra 2 beetles. That's about what I was thinking, and the damage is ok. Maybe another 1d12 for the mini-quake (plus the chance of falling prone of course)?

You do have some knell beetles in the next-to-last paragraph. ;)

Cleon

Legend
So "3.5 rules doubling" per extra 2 beetles. That's about what I was thinking, and the damage is ok. Maybe another 1d12 for the mini-quake (plus the chance of falling prone of course)?

I can go along with 2d12 damage.

I think I'll rework the text to make the knocking prone bit clearer.

You do have some knell beetles in the next-to-last paragraph. ;)

Dang it, I thought I'd got them all.

Better stamp on them before they start tolling.:p

Revising...

EDIT: Upon reflection, I prefer something like 2d4 for the second round and 2d8 for the third or 2d6/2d12. That way the ratio of the damage stays consistent as we increase the number of beetles. :ENDEDIT

Shake the Earth (Ex): A jishin mushi beetle can create a localized earthquake by rhythmically striking the ground with its abdomen as a standard action. This process takes up to three rounds. Buildings take double damage from shake the earth unless they are specially designed to resist earth tremors.

On the first round a jishin mushi uses shake the earth, any creature standing within 10 feet of the jishin mushi (except for another jishin mushi) must make a DC 20 Reflex save or fall prone as the ground lurches and buckles beneath it.

On the second round, the jishin mushi creates destructive vibrations that do 2d6 sonic damage to all creatures and objects within range (except other jishin mushi), with a DC 20 Fortitude save for half damage. Furthermore, standing creatures must make Reflex saves or fall prone (as per the first round's effects).

On the third round, the jishin mushi cracks the earth open, doing 2d12 damage to all creatures within range that are on the ground (DC 20 Reflex save for half damage), those that fail this Reflex save are also knocked prone (as per the first round's effects). The jishin mushi is not immune to this damage, so will fly away before the mini-quake strikes. It will only take damage if it unable to flee.

If multiple jishin mushi use their shake the earth ability in the same round, the radius and intensity of the effect expands as the resonance in the ground combines. For every jishin mushi within 5 feet using shake the earth, the radius of the effect expands by another 5 feet. In addition, for every two additional beetles the damage done increases by one dice. Thus, three jishin mushi within 5 feet using the ability would generate an effect that affects all creatures within 20 feet of any one of the jishin mushi and does 3d6 sonic damage on the second round and 3d12 damage on the third.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, do you think it's getting too strong? Other than that minor concern, it looks pretty good.

Yes, they are looking a bit nastier than we originally intended but I have nothing against that.

However, I do think we should apply a cap to the Shake the Earth damage, otherwise a few hundred jishin mushi would be able to obliterate almost any landbound creature.

Maybe change the penultimate paragraph to:

If multiple jishin mushi use their shake the earth ability in the same round, the radius and intensity of the effect expands as the resonance in the ground combines. For every jishin mushi within 5 feet using shake the earth, the radius of the effect expands by another 5 feet. In addition, for every two additional beetles the damage increases by one die (maximum damage 10d6/10d12, which requires 19+ jishin mushi). Thus, three jishin mushi within 5 feet using the ability would generate an effect that affects all creatures within 20 feet of any one of the jishin mushi and inflicts 3d6 sonic damage on the second round and 3d12 damage on the third.

Remove ads