• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Converting Paizo AP's & modules to other rpgs (Forked Thread: The real future of D&D)

ggroy

First Post
Forked from: The real future of D&D

Derulbaskul said:
People look back on 1E so fondly because of the great adventures. That's not the case with 3.xE (with the obvious exception of Paizo) and I don't believe it can yet (or ever?) be said about 4E.

I agree that WotC's 3.xE and 4E modules have so far been on the lackluster side (with a few exceptions).

Paizo's adventure paths and modules are written "generically" enough to be easily converted to the 4E D&D ruleset, which is what I've been doing for my 4E game. I know one guy who is converting the Second Darkness AP to the Call of Cthulhu ruleset.

Just wondering if anyone has tried converting the Pathfinder APs or modules to Mutants & Masterminds with the Warriors & Warlocks book. (I just picked up W&W a few days ago).

Mikaze

First Post
I know one guy who is converting the Second Darkness AP to the Call of Cthulhu ruleset.

I have a hard time reconciling "Call of Cthulhu" with "Adventure Path".

I mean, I don't doubt it can be pulled off. It's just that the idea is alien and unfathomable to my eyes which can only percieve three dimensions.

Crazy Eights

Explorer
I was going to regale you with a story about how I'm running a group of friends through Curse of the Crimson Throne using Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition.

I know one guy who is converting the Second Darkness AP to the Call of Cthulhu ruleset.
Then I read this and my brain exploded. Pardon me while I pick up the pieces.

ggroy

First Post
I have a hard time reconciling "Call of Cthulhu" with "Adventure Path".

I mean, I don't doubt it can be pulled off. It's just that the idea is alien and unfathomable to my eyes which can only percieve three dimensions.

From my understanding, my friend is only doing the first book of Second Darkness so far. If we're still interested in playing after we're done the first book, we may continue on with subsequent books.

Ryan_Singer

First Post
I ran a Mutants and Masterminds game around the rise of the runelords adventure path, back when it was just coming out. I think it would be easier now, with the W&W book out. I'd start everyone at PL6, 45pp and call it first level. Give out 1-3pp per session, per player, and don't raise the PL cap until they hit 105pp. I give out 1pp for showing up, 1pp if you successfully close a personal sub-plot, and 1pp for everyone if the main plot moves forward during the session. Because of this, my players are usually pretty focused on creating side-plots and pushing the story forward.

If your group often has no-shows, a little bit faster pp rate only for players that are currently below the table average might be a good idea. In games where I have some players who are flakier than others, I give an extra 1pp for being under the average pp of everyone currently sitting at the able. That means it takes up to 3 sessions to recover from missing 1. Vary accordingly.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Forked from: The real future of D&D

I agree that WotC's 3.xE and 4E modules have so far been on the lackluster side (with a few exceptions).

Paizo's adventure paths and modules are written "generically" enough to be easily converted to the 4E D&D ruleset, which is what I've been doing for my 4E game. I know one guy who is converting the Second Darkness AP to the Call of Cthulhu ruleset.

Just wondering if anyone has tried converting the Pathfinder APs or modules to Mutants & Masterminds with the Warriors & Warlocks book. (I just picked up W&W a few days ago).

I haven't, but you touched on an idea that I think would be an interesting experiment--take a fantasy module and convert it into a superheroes rpg mod, or scifi mod, or a wild west mod, something other than the genre that it's meant for. Then have some fun.

Happy Gaming!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads