Converting Planescape monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmm. I like the damage variant of Susceptibiilty to Air, too. Let's go with that.

As for the tactics, there's some option ("typically"), but we could say
The presence of an atmosphere seems to enrage them, and they often spend some rounds of their void storm as soon as they are exposed to sufficient air before decide to reserve some capacity to damage vile air breathers.

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. I like the damage variant of Susceptibiilty to Air, too. Let's go with that.

Me too!

Updating Vacuum Quasi-Elemental.

As for the tactics, there's some option ("typically"), but we could say
The presence of an atmosphere seems to enrage them, and they often spend some rounds of their void storm as soon as they are exposed to sufficient air before decide to reserve some capacity to damage vile air breathers.

That's the approach I was thinking of taking as well.

Cleon

Legend
I've just noticed (or re-noticed?) that the AD&D versions of the Vacuum Quasi can replenish their Void Storm ability by waiting or resting for an hour. Should we use this for our conversion instead of the current "every 24 hours" approach?

Planescape Appendix: " it must then stop and rest for an hour before using this power again."

Dragon #128: "after which they cannot do so again for one hour."

freyar

Sounds good.

I had suggested the following; how is it?
Tactics: Vacuum quasi-elementals are usually quite hostile to strangers, flying past and attacking with slams. The presence of an atmosphere seems to enrage them, and they often spend some rounds of their void storm as soon as they are exposed to sufficient air before decide to reserve some capacity to damage vile air breathers.

Cleon

Legend
Sounds good.

I had suggested the following; how is it?
Tactics: Vacuum quasi-elementals are usually quite hostile to strangers, flying past and attacking with slams. The presence of an atmosphere seems to enrage them, and they often spend some rounds of their void storm as soon as they are exposed to sufficient air before decide to reserve some capacity to damage vile air breathers.

Well the phrasing could do with some tidying up, and I wonder whether some of it would belong in the background information instead.

Oh dang it to dangery, I've just realized we've forgotten a major special ability of these Quasi-Elementals. The main reason the AD&D version has a higher Armour Class is that they're invisible.

Planescape MC: "The things’re completely invisible, and their shape is that of an amorphous, rubbery, hollow skin."

Dragon #128: "They are invisible by nature, though if their presence is detected (by detect invisible, true sight, etc.), they appear as amorphous, three-dimensional “skins” of force (similar to an ochre jelly in zero-gee)"

We should have given them a natural invisibility SQ, not a deflection bonus!

freyar

Hmm, initial attitude is often part of tactics, so, while editing seems reasonable, I don't think I'd move any of the information to background.

We should certainly add natural invisibility, but I'm not sure about removing the deflection bonus (entirely). The AC will be pretty low without deflection, especially for the bigger ones which won't find invisibility quite as useful against higher-level parties.

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, initial attitude is often part of tactics, so, while editing seems reasonable, I don't think I'd move any of the information to background.

We should certainly add natural invisibility, but I'm not sure about removing the deflection bonus (entirely). The AC will be pretty low without deflection, especially for the bigger ones which won't find invisibility quite as useful against higher-level parties.

Let's get the invisibility question out of the way first, since replacing a missing core power seems more urgent than polishing the tactics.

The thing is, in AD&D invisibility grants a -4 improvement to AC, which is exactly the difference between the Vacuum Quasi's AC -1 and a "standard" Elemental's AC 3.

That suggests the original author was probably expecting it to be AC 3 against opponents with see invisible or the like, who would attack it as easily as, say, an Air Elemental.

freyar

Here's a thought: keep (possibly adjust) deflection, add invisibility, drop NA. It makes some sense given that they're bags of force.

Remove ads