Converting Planescape monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Not a big preference for me, so let's just go with your second table there.

Are we done with the mechanical parts of these?

Cleon

Legend
Not a big preference for me, so let's just go with your second table there.

Are we done with the mechanical parts of these?

We've still got to decide on the energy resistances, but I think that's the only mechanical aspect to sort out once we've finished with the Susceptibility to Darkness.

Speaking of which, I'm starting to wonder whether it makes more sense if instead of the two-grade effect of either one-off damage or damage per round we only used the one-off damage.

Anyhow, here are the two options:

Susceptibility to Darkness #1 (Ex): If a radiance quasi-elemental makes contact with any spell with the Darkness descriptor, either by being targeted by the spell or entering its area of effect, the darkness spell is instantly dispelled and the quasi-elemental suffers damage according to the following table:

Radiance Quasi-Elemental Darkness Damage Table
Spell Level
Damage
1d3
1st
1d4 per caster level (max 5d4)
2nd
1d4 per caster level (max 10d4)
3rd
1d6 per caster level (max 10d6)
4th
1d6 per caster level (max 15d6)
5th
6th
1d6 per caster level (max 20d6)
7th
8th
1d8 per caster level (max 20d8)
9th
1d8 per caster level (max 25d8)

If we go for the two-grade level, it would go along these lines:

Susceptibility to Darkness #2 (Ex): If a spell with the Darkness descriptor is cast upon a radiance quasi-elemental, the darkness spell is instantly cancelled and the quasi-elemental suffers damage according to the Direct Damage column of the Radiance Quasi-Elemental Darkness Damage Table.

If a radiance quasi-elemental should enter the area of effect of a darkness spell, the quasi-elemental suffers damage equal to the Exposure Damage column of the table every round it remains within the darkness spell's area.

Radiance Quasi-Elemental Darkness Damage Table
Spell
Level

Direct Damage

Exposure Damage

1d3
1 point per round
1st
1d4 per caster level (max 5d4)
1d2 points per round
2nd
1d4 per caster level (max 10d4)
1d4 points per round
3rd
1d6 per caster level (max 10d6)
1d6 points per round
4th
1d8 points per round
5th
1d10 points per round
6th
1d12 points per round
7th
2d6 points per round
8th
1d8 per caster level (max 20d8)
2d8 points per round
9th
1d8 per caster level (max 25d8)
3d6 points per round

freyar

Well, I was originally in favor of just doing one-off damage (roughly speaking), so I'll go for version #1. It just seems a little simpler to adjudicate.

If we stick to that, it looks like we're done with the mechanical stuff. Seem right to you?

Cleon

Legend
Well, I was originally in favor of just doing one-off damage (roughly speaking), so I'll go for version #1. It just seems a little simpler to adjudicate.

Works for me.

Updating the Radiance Quasi-Elemental Working Draft.

If we stick to that, it looks like we're done with the mechanical stuff. Seem right to you?

Ahem, and I quote:

We've still got to decide on the energy resistances, but I think that's the only mechanical aspect to sort out once we've finished with the Susceptibility to Darkness.

We've currently got "(cold X, electricity X, fire X)".

The original monster took half damage from all three of the above attacks.

I was assuming we'd use the same progression as we did for the Lightning Quasi, which took half-damage from fire and acid in AD&D and in our 3E conversion went:

Small - resistance to acid and fire 5
Medium - resistance to acid and fire 5
Large - resistance to acid and fire 10
Huge - resistance to acid and fire 10
Greater - resistance to acid and fire 20
Elder - resistance to acid and fire 20
Monolith - resistance to acid and fire 30

That OK to you?

freyar

Ooops. Yes, that progression looks fine to me.

Moving to tactics, the original text says they prefer their ranged attacks: While radiance quasi-elementals are capable melee combatants, they prefer to stay at a distance and strike at foes using their beam attacks, changing energy types as necessary if some opponents exhibit a resistance to a certain kind of energy. Against larger groups, the quasi-elementals will often attempt to disable multiple enemies with their flash.

Incidentally, I think I'd prefer the save against the flash to be a Fort save, rather than a Ref save, but I guess I'm not too bothered either way.

Cleon

Legend
Ooops. Yes, that progression looks fine to me.

Incidentally, I think I'd prefer the save against the flash to be a Fort save, rather than a Ref save, but I guess I'm not too bothered either way.

I'm not bothered either so I'll change it to Fortitude.

Updating the Radiance Quasi-Elemental Working Draft.

Moving to tactics, the original text says they prefer their ranged attacks: While radiance quasi-elementals are capable melee combatants, they prefer to stay at a distance and strike at foes using their beam attacks, changing energy types as necessary if some opponents exhibit a resistance to a certain kind of energy. Against larger groups, the quasi-elementals will often attempt to disable multiple enemies with their flash.

Hmm…

Whie radiance quasi-elementals are capable melee combatants, they prefer to attack from a distance with their beam attacks, switching energy types if some opponents exhibit resistance for a certain kind of energy. They tend to use their flash attack at the start of combat, especially if it is likely to blind many enemies.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good to me!

Description: A bright, spinning ball of multi-colored energy.

Let's see, what have we got for the original description:

"a radiance quasielemental appears to be a glowing ball of energy, but unlike its lightning counterpart, it doesn’t crackle chaotically with arcs of energy. Instead, it emits a steady, orderly glow, varied only by the intensity of the creature’s continual, smooth spinning. The glow is equivalent to a double-strength continual light spell, though the quasielemental can dim the illumination if it chooses." [The Inner Planes]

"Radiance quasi-elementals look like rapidly turning spheres of multicolored light." [Dragon #125]

How's this:

A shining ball of energy that glows every color of the rainbow. It spins rapidly, at a speed as smooth and constant as its brightness.

Radiance quasi-elementals inhabit the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Radiance, which is formed from the junction of the Positive Energy Plane and the Elemental Plane of Fire. They apparently feed off darkness, although how they do so baffles mortal sages.

These creatures are contemplative in nature and most of them gather in small groups and muse on philosophy, only moving to feed or avoid danger. A few are more inquisitive and wander widely to explore as wide a spectrum of sights as they can, sometimes on planes other than their own. In either case, a radiance quasi-elemental can get very annoyed if it is disturbed while contemplating something interesting, such as the beauty of a multi-arched rainbow, the iconography of a stained-glass window, or the trajectories and colors of a large meteor shower.

As far as is known radiance quasi-elementals have no leaders. They sometimes carry out errands for other beings, and some spellcasters summon them to act as guards and light sources.

A radiance quasi-elemental has the same height as an air elemental of the same size and is completely weightless.

COMBAT
While radiance quasi-elementals are capable melee combatants, they prefer to attack from a distance with their beam attacks, switching energy types if some opponents exhibit resistance for a certain kind of energy. They tend to use their flash attack at the start of combat, especially if it is likely to blind many enemies.

freyar

Excellent! Update with that, and I think these are done.

Steam is the last one. I'll repost the original stats below.

freyar

Dragon 125 version

STEAM QUASI-ELEMENTAL
NO. APPEARING: 1 (1-6)
ARMOR CLASS: 2
MOVE: 12”
HIT DICE: 6, 9, or 12
% IN LAIR: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-6 + 1 hp/HD
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: See below
INTELLIGENCE: Low
ALIGNMENT: Neutral (chaotic)
SIZE: L
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
LEVEL/XP VALUE: VII/1,000 + 15 per hp

Steam quasi-elementals are very rare in the Prime Material plane and are only found in areas of highly agitated water, such as the base of waterfalls, in geyser pools, and in areas where the ocean surf strikes rocks. Steam quasi-elementals look much like transparent, ghostlike water elementals.

True steam quasi-elementals (as opposed to the other lifeforms found on that quasi-elemental plane) can control their internal temperature, changing their substance from freezing cold fogs to scalding steam. Their method of attack involves engulfing their victims, enclosing a cubic area of up to 60’ on a side. They then inflict 1d6 + 1 hp/HD damage to each creature within either a hot or cold cloud. Steam quasi-elementals are intelligent enough to recognize if one mode of attack is not working and switch to the other. A device which protects the user from the effects of heat or cold (such as a ring of warmth) also protects the user from that particular cloud attack form.

Steam quasi-elementals can fly or move beneath water at normal movement rates, as well as seep through cracks into small areas. They cannot be harmed by spells which affect weather, temperature, cold, or water. They take half damage from fire and full damage from electricity. In the latter case, however, every other living being beneath the steam quasi-elemental’s cloud must make a saving throw versus the effect, suffering half damage if failing and no damage if successful. Steam quasi-elementals can only be harmed by + 1 or better enchanted weapons.

Steam quasi-elementals tend to be the most chaotic of the positive quasi-elementals — so much so that even those mages who have divined methods of summoning and containing them have yet to find an adequate, safe use for them.

Last edited:

Remove ads