• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
you make a good point. ;) outsiders they shall stay! glad you liked the pics.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Some diakk thoughts. The temptation seems to be to make the varath (“tall” diakk) Large creatures. They are only 8 feet tall after all – therefore within range of either Medium or Large. Usually, I defer 8’ tall to Medium unless the creature’s drawing or description makes them feel “bulky” to me. As diakka are actually sort of skinny, I don’t think this merits making the varath Large. Besides, it actually has less HD than the smaller variety. But who knows, maybe they need the height advantage.
Response to this?

Comparing available examples (which varied wildly), I came up with this for ability scores:
Varath:
Str 12-15, Dex 15-18, Con 16-18, Int 6, Wis 8-10, Cha 10-15
Carcene:
Str 16-18, Dex 8-12 (“Broad diakka are rather slow”), Con 19-20, Int 10, Wis 12-15, Cha 12-16

Magical abilities:

Spell-Like Abilities: 2/day – jump; 1/day – ghost sound, weakness?
One thing I noticed is that my 2E PHB doesn’t have a spell called weakness. in fact, neither does my 1E PHB. Not only that, but although both writeups of the diakk reference such a spell, neither goes into any detail about explaining it. :/ I don’t know if that is supposed to be a separate power from the dance of weakness or not. Maybe we can just give them ray of enfeeblement instead? I see that demiurge substituted chill touch instead; this is another option.

Speaking of dance of weakness, we have:
1E MM2 said:
If at least 4 of these creatures succeed in circling the opponents while giving out their odd hooting calls and croaks for 4 consecutive rounds, the sounds and rhythm of this circling dance evoke an hypnotic enfeeblement which has an area effect identical to the ray of enfeeblement spell. Each subject, regardless of magic resistance, must save vs. spell or become enfeebled as if by a 13th level magic user, i.e., 40% strength loss for 13 rounds. Once opponents are thus affected, individual diakka use physical attacks and remaining spell-like powers to kill the prey, and then the whole flock feasts.
and
PoCo said:
Additionally, if there are four or more diakka, they can encircle a foe and perform the dance of weakening. This hypnotic dance requires the diakka to screech and croak at their foes for at least four rounds. The victims are then affected similarly to a ray of enfeeblement - their Strength scores are lowered to 5 for 13 rounds. This power ignores magic resistance (although the victim gets a saving throw), making it useful against even yugoloths or other fiends.
of course, as mentioned, we have the vrock’s dance as an example on how we might work this.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
Some diakk thoughts. The temptation seems to be to make the varath (“tall” diakk) Large creatures. They are only 8 feet tall after all – therefore within range of either Medium or Large. Usually, I defer 8’ tall to Medium unless the creature’s drawing or description makes them feel “bulky” to me. As diakka are actually sort of skinny, I don’t think this merits making the varath Large. Besides, it actually has less HD than the smaller variety. But who knows, maybe they need the height advantage.
Response to this?
I was tempted. ;) But, I think you presented a compelling argument to make them Medium.

BOZ said:
Comparing available examples (which varied wildly), I came up with this for ability scores:
Varath:
Str 12-15, Dex 15-18, Con 16-18, Int 6, Wis 8-10, Cha 10-15
Carcene:
Str 16-18, Dex 8-12 (“Broad diakka are rather slow”), Con 19-20, Int 10, Wis 12-15, Cha 12-16
How about...
Varath: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 14
Carcene: Str 17, Dex 9, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16

BOZ said:
Spell-Like Abilities: 2/day – jump; 1/day – ghost sound, weakness?
One thing I noticed is that my 2E PHB doesn’t have a spell called weakness. in fact, neither does my 1E PHB. Not only that, but although both writeups of the diakk reference such a spell, neither goes into any detail about explaining it. :/ I don’t know if that is supposed to be a separate power from the dance of weakness or not. Maybe we can just give them ray of enfeeblement instead? I see that demiurge substituted chill touch instead; this is another option.
I'm leaning towards ray of enfeeblement.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
that all sounds good. here's an attempt at this:

Dance of Weakness (Su): To use this ability, a group of at least four diakka must dance in a circle, making a hypnotic rhythm out of their screeching and croaking calls. At the end of 4 rounds of dancing, any creatures inside the circle of diakka are affected as if by a ray of enfeeblement (Caster level 13, save DC 17?) for X rounds. Spell resistance does not work against this power. Stunning, paralyzing, or slaying one of the diakka stops the dance. The save DC is Charisma-based (uses highest DC available).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Some ideas for skills and feats, culled from the various other versions I’ve seen:

Varath:
Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Jump, Move Silently, Perform, Search, Spot, Tumble
Feats: Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Weapon Focus (bite)

Carcene:
Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Search, Spot, Tumble
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (claws)

I could rationalize giving them Perform for one reason only: as a bonus modifier to the Dance of Weakening.

Both of these get 3 feats; varath get 54 skill ranks and carcene get 88 (as long as I figured it out properly, of course!)

Shade

Monster Junkie
The largest diakka bound in and out of melee using jump and weakness as appropriate.
Based on this quote, I'd give at least one of them Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack. (I'm not sure which is the "largest", though.)

Varath Skills: Balance 0, Bluff 3, Climb 3, Concentration 9, Hide 3, Intimidate 3, Listen 4, Jump 9, Move Silently 3, Search 4, Spot 4, Tumble 9

Carcene Skills: Balance 6, Bluff 6, Climb 0, Concentration 11, Hide 8, Jump 11, Listen 9, Move Silently 8, Search 9, Spot 9, Tumble 11

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Oh, I like the Perform (dance). How about for every 4 points over 20 the Perform check is, the DC of the dance of weakening goes up by one? Something like that, anyway.

I'd be tempted to give them Spring Attack maybe as a bonus feat, but otherwise the whole "bounding out of reach" could be covered by Tumble checks, as I don't see diakka as too terribly nimble, especially the carcene.

Demiurge out.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
demiurge1138 said:
Oh, I like the Perform (dance). How about for every 4 points over 20 the Perform check is, the DC of the dance of weakening goes up by one? Something like that, anyway.

see, now that’s the sort of helpful input we need. :D I agree that would be an interesting application. It wouldn’t be much for entertainment value, but it would help with their powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads