• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
BOZ, do you still have that text file I sent you a year or two back with all of my conversions of the MMI and MMII dinos? The gorgosaurus was among them, and that might be a good backbone for the 3.5 gorgosaur stats, to be edited further.

Demiurge out.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i do! it probably won't require much in the way of editing, since it is such a simple creature.
here it is:

Gorgosaurus
Huge Animal
Hit Dice: 13d8+52 (110 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+24
Attack: Bite +14 melee (3d6+10)
Full Attack: Bite +14 melee (3d6+10)
Space/Reach: 15ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +6
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10
Skills: Hide -6, Listen +14, Spot +14
Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Run, Toughness, Track
Environment: Warm plains
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 14-26 HD (Huge), 27-39 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: -

This massive, stocky biped has a huge head with sharp-toothed jaws, powerful legs and almost comically small arms.

A gorgosaurus is a smaller, leaner relative of the famous tyrannosaurus.

Gorgosaurs are about 30 feet in length and weigh 2-3 tons. Unlike the tyrannosaurus, which occasionally hunts in pairs, the gorgosaurus is a solitary beast. They are unusually specialized, as most of their nourishment comes from stealing the kills of other animals, such as dinonychus packs or even human hunters. They are still capable of hunting, however, and usually target young and infirm lambeosaurs and anatotitans when they do.

Combat
Gorgosaurs are reckless combatants, grabbing and swallowing smaller creatures until all are dead or the rest flee. Against equal sized creatures, they attempt to drag them to the ground and consume them alive.

Improved Grab (Ex): In order to use this ability, a gorgosaurus must hit with a bite attack. If it hits, it can make a grapple check as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it deals automatic bite damage each round and can swallow its opponent whole.

Swallow Whole (Ex): By making a successful grapple check, a gorgosaurus may swallow a held foe at least one size smaller than itself whole. Once swallowed, a victim takes 2d8+8 points of bludgeoning damage plus 8 acid damage every round until it escapes or dies. A successful grapple check allows the creature to climb out of the stomach and into the gorgosaurus? mouth, where another grapple check is required to get free. Alternatively, the swallowed creature can escape by cutting its way out with either claws or a light slashing or piecing weapon. Dealing at least 30 points of damage (AC 12) in this fashion allows the creature to escape. Once a single swallowed creature exits, muscular action closes the whole; another swallowed creature must cut its way out as well. A gorgosaurus? stomach can hold 2 Medium-sized, 8 Small, 32 Tiny or 128 Diminutive or smaller creatures.

Skills: A gorgosaurus receives a +2 racial bonus on all Listen and Spot checks.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd raise the Dex by at least 1 to give a +1 higher modifier than T-Rex.

What was the 1E speed of a T-Rex? It says that these fellas are fleet, but it isn't any faster than T-Rex in the straight conversion of speed.

Same goes for the bite damage. Was it greater than T-Rex in 1E? If so, I think we should increase the damage. I'm not sure if the greater curvature of the teeth makes a difference.

Searched the web and found this: A gorgosaurus is 27 to 30 feet long and weighs 3,000 to 3,500 pounds.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
the Dex adjustment might just work.

comparing ye olde Monster Manual:
Gorgosaurus:
MOVE: 15"
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-3/1-3/7-28

Tyrannasaurus:
MOVE: 15"
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-6/1-6/5-40

so, speed would be the same. the bite damage is actually less, so i'm thinking of killing Improved Natural Attack.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Cool. Yeah, remove Imp Nat Attack. How about Improved Critical instead? That would account for the scimitar-like teeth. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Although it is by no means a requirement, I'd add Jump +11 to the skills line for its speed modifier.

CR 7 seems fine. It has 70 less hp than a T-rex and deals less damage.

Otherwise, I think it's done. I'm starting to like dino conversions. They are the antithesis to psionic critters and "body swappers". :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
how about the damage to escape from the gizzard? that is actually more than what a t-rex requires...

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I thought it was a direct copy too... hm. Maybe I took it from the dinicthys or something.

Looks good so far. And yeah, dinos are nice and easy.

Demiurge out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads