• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric creatures

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Suggested tactics?

How's this:

Combat
Should a creature smaller than a leanchoilia wander too close to it (within 30 feet or so), the leanchoilia will charge and try to seize that creature in its whip. If it takes hold of its prey it will whip and gnaw away until either the leancholia or its victim dies. Leancholia instinctively avoid any creature their own size or larger.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good. Updated. Finished?

Looks done, except I left a couple of typos in the tactics (some leanchoilia are mispelled leancholia). It should be:

Combat
Should a creature smaller than a leanchoilia wander too close to it (within 30 feet or so), the leanchoilia will charge and try to seize that creature in its whip. If it takes hold of its prey it will whip and gnaw away until either the leanchoilia or its victim dies. Leanchoilia instinctively avoid any creature their own size or larger.

I think it's a bit odd it gets 3 whip attacks when it has 2 antennae, each with a triple whip (for 6 whips in total). If I was designing it I'd give it 2 (1/antennae) or 6 (1/whip) attacks.

Still, 3 whips is what the AD&D version had and I don't mind keeping to that.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looks done, except I left a couple of typos in the tactics (some leanchoilia are mispelled leancholia). It should be:

Combat
Should a creature smaller than a leanchoilia wander too close to it (within 30 feet or so), the leanchoilia will charge and try to seize that creature in its whip. If it takes hold of its prey it will whip and gnaw away until either the leanchoilia or its victim dies. Leanchoilia instinctively avoid any creature their own size or larger.

I think it's a bit odd it gets 3 whip attacks when it has 2 antennae, each with a triple whip (for 6 whips in total). If I was designing it I'd give it 2 (1/antennae) or 6 (1/whip) attacks.

Still, 3 whips is what the AD&D version had and I don't mind keeping to that.

That is odd! I'm happy to reduce it to two attacks, as three for two natural weapons is essentially broken.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm happy leaving it with three whip attacks. Maybe it lashes with one of its "arms" and gets an attack for each whip on that limb?

While that makes some sense, it would seem to support 6 attacks (2 per "arm"), which is too many for such a low-CR creature. Also, multi-pronged attacks (like the scourge) have a precedent as a single attack in 3.5. Let's just go with 2 and call it a day.

Updated.

Remove ads