Converting prehistoric creatures

Cleon

Legend
Does our dire penguin friend need anything else?

The saves are wrong, not only did I fail to adjust them for the higher Dex they should have all good saves if they're Dire.

I'd also give them Advancement to Large, since most Dire Animals can advance by one size category.

Apart from that I think their statblock is fine, although we still need the rest of the text.

Revising...

Dire Penguin
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), swim 40 ft.
Armor Class: 11 (-1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: ---
Special Qualities: Hold breath, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 9, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +3, Swim +8
Feats: Endurance
Environment: Aquatic
Organization: Flock (11-30)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium); 5-6 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: ---

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I'm not sure if this will end up in the CC, since it's not a conversion in even the loosest interpretation (penguins didn't appear in D&D until 3e, as far as I can tell).

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

I'm not sure if this will end up in the CC, since it's not a conversion in even the loosest interpretation (penguins didn't appear in D&D until 3e, as far as I can tell).

That's OK, we'll still have had the satisfaction.

So, do we want the description to actually call it a penguin?

Are we making it black-and-white like a modern penguin or red-and-white or grey-and-white like a Inkayacu probably was, going by its surviving pigments?

I favour the latter:

A flightless bird as tall as a short human, its gray body has a rust-red underside outlined by a white strip. The bird is built for swimming, with webbed feet and short, thick wings; its stubby legs look ill-suited for walking. It has a long, sharp beak like a heron's.

This is a penguin of unusual size and pugnacity, such as the prehistoric genus Inkayacu. Some species of dire penguin come in the familiar black-and-white of common penguins, but Inkayacu has the gray-and-red coloration described above.

A typical dire penguin is 4 to 5 feet tall and weighs around 80 to 120 pounds.

Combat
Dire penguins prefer to swim away from threats, but are not adverse to pecking in self defense or to protect their eggs and hatchlings.

Remove ads