Converting Psionic Creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
dhaga said:
Considering the original description, I think this would be a good idea.
Could simply call it "Shared Power". I don't know how "power points" work (are they like mana?), so I'm at a loss for an actual power description.

Yeah, they are like mana. Unfortunately, in 3.5, monsters with psi-like abilities don't use power points, so they don't actually have any to share with their masters. Perhaps they could sacrfice a daily use of one of their spell-like abilities (or use of their single at will ability for 24 hours) to grant their master a number of power points equivalent to the power's level? The master could then sacrifice a number of equivalent power points to grant the cat another daily use of one of its 1/day powers.

dhaga said:
+2 racial to Spot and Listen
+4 to Hide in shadowy illumination, +8 in full darkness
I'd say Improved Init and/or Uncanny Dodge

Sounds good. I'll stick with the standard cat's +4 bonus on Listen and Spot.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
Perhaps they could sacrfice a daily use of one of their spell-like abilities (or use of their single at will ability for 24 hours) to grant their master a number of power points equivalent to the power's level? The master could then sacrifice a number of equivalent power points to grant the cat another daily use of one of its 1/day powers.

That's a nice idea. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
How does this look?

Power Pool (Su): A Magenta's cat serving as a familiar can sacrfice a daily use of one of its per day psi-like abilities to grant its master a number of power points equivalent to the power's level. It may also sacrifice its at will body equilibrium ability, but doing so prevents it from using this ability for 24 hours. The cat's master can sacrifice some of his or her own power points to grant the Magenta's cat another use of one of its psi-like abilities. Doing so requires a number of power points equivalent to the number of power points normally needed to manifest the power.

For example, the Magenta's cat can sacrifice its daily use of cloud mind (a 2nd-level power) to grant its master 3 power points. Alternatively, its master can sacrifice 3 power points to grant the Magenta's cat another daily use of cloud mind, or 5 points to grant another use of body adjustment.

freyar

Seems pretty reasonable, though I'm not a psionics expert. Is it reasonable for the power point transfer not to be 1-to-1? Should maybe the cat's sacrifice of cloud mind grant 3 power points to the master?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Seems pretty reasonable, though I'm not a psionics expert. Is it reasonable for the power point transfer not to be 1-to-1? Should maybe the cat's sacrifice of cloud mind grant 3 power points to the master?

That was the intent. Does it not read that way?

freyar

Umm, I'm now confused. :confused: In the example, each direction grants 3 power points, but the text ability description says that the cat sacrificing a power grants the master a number of points equal to the power's level. So cloud mind would give the master 2 points by that rule. I'd rather it give 3, though.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Umm, I'm now confused. :confused: In the example, each direction grants 3 power points, but the text ability description says that the cat sacrificing a power grants the master a number of points equal to the power's level. So cloud mind would give the master 2 points by that rule. I'd rather it give 3, though.

I'm confused too. :heh:

Essentially, cat should be able to give up a use of cloud mind to grant master 3 points, while master could give up 3 points to give cat another use of cloud mind.

I'm probably too close to this, so I'm not seeing the confusion...anyone wanna rewrite?

freyar

Power Pool (Su): A Magenta's cat serving as a familiar can sacrfice a daily use of one of its per day psi-like abilities to grant its master a number of power points equivalent to the number of points normally needed to manifest this power. It may also sacrifice its at will body equilibrium ability, but doing so prevents it from using this ability for 24 hours. The cat's master can sacrifice some of his or her own power points to grant the Magenta's cat another use of one of its psi-like abilities. Doing so requires a number of power points equivalent to the number of power points normally needed to manifest the power.

How's that?

Remove ads