Converting Psionic Creatures

Cleon

Legend
The suggested break DC and damage revisions work for me, but I'd rather not modify the core ability which is shared among more than just those two creatures. (In other words, stick with standard action, and drop the additional skill checks).

Thus...

Ramming (Ex): As a standard action, a chont can swim at up to quadruple speed (200 feet) and ram a waterborne target (such as a ship or another creature). To ram, the chont must end its movement in the target's space. This attack deals 2d8+5 points of damage. If the target is a creature, it can attempt either an attack of opportunity or a DC 18 Reflex save for half damage. The save DC is Strength-based.

Upon ramming a ship, the chont can make a Strength check to breach its hull, which causes the ship to sink in 1d10 minutes. The break DC varies with the type of vessel rammed, as follows: rowboat DC 20, keelboat DC 23, sailing ship or longship DC 25, warship DC 27, or galley DC 30. (See Chapter 5 of the DMG for information about ships). Regardless of the check result, every creature aboard must attempt a DC 15 Reflex saving throw. Success means the creature takes 1d6 points of damage from being thrown about by the impact; failure means the creature is hurled overboard.

That'll do.

Cleon

Legend
This all works for me.

Sounds like we're agreed then.

So what does that leave us with.

We've got "tremorsense x" in the SQ line. Shall we make this 60 ft. like the Chelicerata in the SRD or drop it?

I think I'd rather drop it, since they've got All-Around Vision and there's no mention of them sensing vibrations in the description.

Skills, Feats and Challenge Rating need assigning.

Divide their skill points between Listen and Spot?

Listen 4 and Spot 5?

Maybe throw in a racial bonus to Spot checks?

Feats-wise I'm thinking Alertness (since they're good at spotting approaching foes) and Endurance (since Horseshoe Crabs are tough).

The other one should probably be something combat related - Power Attack? Weapon Focus (claws)? Ability Focus (electric strike)?

Oh, and shouldn't we put its +5 touch attack somewhere in the stats? Either add it in the Electrical Strike description or include its electrical strike in the Attack & Full Attack lines:

Attack: Claw +10 melee (1d4+5) or electric shock +5 touch (5d6 electricity)
Full Attack: 2 claws +10 melee (1d4+5) and bite +5 melee (2d8+2); or electric shock +5 touch (5d6 electricity)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Probably a +2 or +4 racial to Spot.

Power Attack seems reasonable to me.

And yes to adding the touch attack to the attack lines.

Cleon

Legend
Let's go with a +2 racial bonus. I agree with all the rest.

Updated.

I think we'd better substitute "Chont" for most of the horseshoe crab(s) in the description. We should probably also rephrase the [The crushing noise the crab makes while eating has earned it the nickname "chont."] bit too.

The second paragraph could also do with some cleaning up, and I'd like to make some mention of a horseshoe crab's shell.

How about:
A chont is a magical giant horseshoe crab. These armored predators roam coastal waters and beaches, feeding on mollusks, worms, plants, carrion, and anything else they can catch.

Like a regular horseshoe crab, a chont's body and limbs are covered by a thick, dome-shaped shell and carapace, so from above it resembles a helmet with a tail trailing after it. Its tail is powerful and highly mobile, and is used as a prow when burrowing through sand and to right an overturned crab. Horseshoe crabs have three pairs of eyes: one set on the underside of its front rim, a large pair on the carapace, and a small hidden pair atop the abdomen.

On its underside a chont has a sucking mouth, flanked by two crablike claws. Behind this are bony, grinding ridges that crush food; everything a chont seizes is passed here by its claws, crushed and then transferred forward into the mouth, which will regurgitate undigestible material. (The name "chont" is due to the crushing noise the creature makes while eating.) Behind these mouthparts are five pairs of legs. The first four can be used as pincers and have spurlike spikes to grip and break up food; the last pair sport leaflike "wings" which aid in swimming and clear away mud when the crab is burrowing. Behind these legs, under the second segment of the carapace, are five pairs of gills with long flaps that keep water moving over the gill membranes and aid in swimming.

Chonts come ashore on certain beaches at certain times to mate, the eggs they lay then hatch into marine larvae that slowly grow to full size. Huge numbers of regular horseshoe crabs come ashore to breed at the same times and places. Chonts will always defend their smaller brethren if the latter are attacked.

Yes I guess so.

A chont is x feet long and weighs x pounds

I feel 25 feet is rather too big for them. However it's "up to 25 feet", suggesting that's the upper limit of their Large size, and presumably this includes their tail. So I'm thinking a Large Chont is 13-25 feet long, including a 5-10 foot tail, and weighs 500-4000 pounds.

So I'm thinking something like this:
A typical chont is 13 to 25 feet long, including a 5 to 10 foot long tail, and has a shell between 6 and 12 feet across. They weigh from 500 to 4000 pounds.

Cleon

Legend
Good suggestions!

Updated.

What's left?

It looks done except for one little niggle.

Under All-Around Vision it's got "A chont's many eyes give it a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks", while it's skill entry only has a +2 racial bonus to Spot.

Personally, I like the +4 to Spot and Search, so can we keep that and apply the changes to the skills?

Skills: Listen +6, Spot +11, Search +4, Swim +13

Cleon

Legend
Nice catch, and yes, I agree. Updated.

I've just realized I've applied their Dex bonus to the touch attack, but under the RAW shouldn't they use their Strength bonus since it's a melee attack?

That would make their electric shock a +10 melee touch.

Must be looking at too many incorporeal beasties with melee touch attacks.

Remove ads