Converting Psionic Creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Those 4 powers sound good. I think I prefer chameleon to the racial bonus on Hide, just because of the psionic flavor, but I guess a small racial bonus is ok, too.

Cleon

Legend
The sugos don't seem to "get full" according to the original text, so let's just chop the bit about slithering off to digest.

Sounds reasonable.

10 hp damage to sever? 16 since it's 1/10 of the sugo's hp? Is the damage or half the damage dealt to the sugo?

16 hit points per tentacle would be my preference, since they've got body HP between a giant squid and a kraken I'd think their tentacle HP should be inbetween to. Might as well have them take half damage from severed tentacles.

1d3 Con per tentacle?

That seems about right. It'll quickly add up since they've got multiple attacks.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about...

Psi-Like Abilities: At will—chameleon, ego whip (2d4 Cha, DC 17)*, grip of iron (+2 enhancement bonus)*, thought shield (5 rounds, power resistance 17)*; 3/day—concealing amorpha, id insinuation (3 targets, DC 17)*, psionic blast (DC 16), strength of my enemy (+2 maximum enhancement bonus)*; 1/day—greater concealing amorpha, intellect fortress. Manifester level 6th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
*Includes augmentation for the sugo's manifester level.

Cleon

Legend
How about...

Psi-Like Abilities: At will—chameleon, ego whip (2d4 Cha, DC 17)*, grip of iron (+2 enhancement bonus)*, thought shield (5 rounds, power resistance 17)*; 3/day—concealing amorpha, id insinuation (3 targets, DC 17)*, psionic blast (DC 16), strength of my enemy (+2 maximum enhancement bonus)*; 1/day—greater concealing amorpha, intellect fortress. Manifester level 6th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
*Includes augmentation for the sugo's manifester level.

The power selection looks good.

The manifester level seems a bit low for a 14HD Outsider though. Their highest level power is 4th level (intellect fortress) which requires a 7th lvl Psion or 8th level Wilder, so I'd prefer a higher ML.

Manifester level 7th (half HD)?

Cleon

Legend
Sounds reasonable.

Good!

Shall we talk skills and feats then. They're ambushers, so Hide and Move Silently are obvious choices. Spot and Listen to find prey. Escape Artist also seems appropriate.

That leaves four. Picking some of a Kraken's skills seems appropriate:

Kraken: Concentration, Diplomacy, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival (following tracks), Swim, Use Magic Device

They don't seem to negotiate with folk and they don't collect treasure, so Use Magic Device would seem to be out. That just leaves Intimidate, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature) and Survival.

I'd suggest giving them Knowledge (the planes) instead of Knowledge (geography) since they are found all over the lower planes.

That gives us:

Sugo Skill Ranks #1: Escape Artist 17, Hide 17, Intimidate 17, Knowledge (nature) 17, Knowledge (the planes) 17, Listen 17, Spot 17, Survival 17, Swim 0

The Survival ranks seem unnecessarily high, so we could give them Knowledge (geography) and shift some points into it, but that skill doesn't feel appropriate to me.

Alternatively, we could split the Survival ranks between Search and Survival.

Sugo Skill Ranks #2: Escape Artist 17, Hide 17, Intimidate 17, Knowledge (nature) 17, Knowledge (the planes) 17, Listen 17, Search 8, Spot 17, Survival 9 (following tracks), Swim 0

I like option #2 better.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Shade

Monster Junkie
Swap the Knowledge (nature) ranks for Con, as these guys are psionic manifesters. In addition to manifesting defensively, psionic users gain other benefits from Concentration. I'd drop Survival altogether, unless we give 'em track. I'd like to see some ranks in Autohypnosis (and I'd recommend a straight swap out of Survival if no Track feat).

Proposed modification of Option #2...

Autohypnosis 17, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 17, Hide 17, Intimidate 17, Knowledge (the planes) 17, Listen 17, Search 8, Spot 17

...or, if Track feat taken...

Autohypnosis 17, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 8, Hide 17, Intimidate 17, Knowledge (the planes) 17, Listen 17, Search 8, Spot 17, Survival 9

I'd be fine with reallocating the Escape Artist ranks, as it doesn't really need that skill.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't really see much call in the description for Track, and I agree that we don't need Escape Artist, so how about Autohypnosis, Concentration, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Search, Spot, all at 17 ranks?

Remove ads