Converting Psionic Creatures

RavinRay

Explorer
They're one heck of an intelligent (if single-minded) race of constructs to me. They have an even narrower mandate than inevitables.

Cleon

Legend
They're one heck of an intelligent (if single-minded) race of constructs to me. They have an even narrower mandate than inevitables.

Oh I remember these. They're more a plot device than a monster.

It's not as bad as it looks at first, since most of its SAs are pretty straightforward:

cone of cold (use the spell or a breath weapon?)
fear (as the spell)
immunity to high-level spells (which is a particularly mean idea:devil:)
internal storage
some kind of "use internal magic items" ability
cold resistance
vulnerability to fire

The main tricky bits are their omniscience, infinite height and "reflect all attacks when asleep". It's not that they're all that difficult to convert, but I'm not sure whether we should keep them as is - or their "sleep for a thousand years after answering a question" trick, which would seem to be rather counterproductive for a creature specifically created to answer queries.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I vote for "breath weapon" for the cone of cold, and agree to dropping/revising the "sleep for a thousand years after answering".

The infinite height should probably be changed to just make them seem infinitily tall, but stick with a standard space/reach.

Should Str be "-" or 10, since they really can't move or physically manipulate objects. I'm leaning toward 10, on the off chance someone uses an attack against them that requires an opposed Str check (good luck with that, though ;)).

Cleon

Legend
I vote for "breath weapon" for the cone of cold, and agree to dropping/revising the "sleep for a thousand years after answering".

Suits me.

The infinite height should probably be changed to just make them seem infinitily tall, but stick with a standard space/reach.

I was thinking we could give them some kind of spatial distortion ability so that no matter how much you climb/fly up them you never reach the top.

Should Str be "-" or 10, since they really can't move or physically manipulate objects. I'm leaning toward 10, on the off chance someone uses an attack against them that requires an opposed Str check (good luck with that, though ;)).

I'd give them a Str score. They keep treasure inside themselves, so they presumably can pull it into their bodies somhow. Maybe they've got some kind of marble tongue?

They can answer questions, so do they have voices or are they telepathic?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I was thinking we could give them some kind of spatial distortion ability so that no matter how much you climb/fly up them you never reach the top.

That might be fun. :)

We should probably make 'em immune to bull rush, trip, etc. (even though it will be nearly impossible for anyone to actually succeed against something that size).

I'd give them a Str score. They keep treasure inside themselves, so they presumably can pull it into their bodies somhow. Maybe they've got some kind of marble tongue?

I'm not sure about the tongue, but I'm OK with Str 10.

They can answer questions, so do they have voices or are they telepathic?

I'm guessing telpathic, but I supposed they could do both.

RavinRay

Explorer
Let's try a modified version of the epic spell reflection. So all named spells are also useless against it?

6" cone of cold translate to how many feet?

Should they have an extradimensional space in their insides that functions like a bag of holding or are they voluminous enough to make it superfluous? (There's no diameter mentioned, 10 feet across perhaps?) I agree with the Str 10 score.

The spire in the center of the Outlands is infinitely high, right, so if we can find some flavor text for that and Sigil (Planar Handbook?) we can use that.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's not forget their "attack/defense modes: all/all."

I'll agree with everything said so far. I think epic spell reflection (or variant) is good for the dormant state, but we should stick to a version of immunity to magic for the awake state.

Cleon

Legend
Let's try a modified version of the epic spell reflection. So all named spells are also useless against it?

6" cone of cold translate to how many feet?

That's a 60 foot cone.

Should they have an extradimensional space in their insides that functions like a bag of holding or are they voluminous enough to make it superfluous? (There's no diameter mentioned, 10 feet across perhaps?) I agree with the Str 10 score.

I think they just have a regular hollow interior. Once you kill one you can smash it open to steal its treasure, which I think suggests the cavity is not extradimensional.

The spire in the center of the Outlands is infinitely high, right, so if we can find some flavor text for that and Sigil (Planar Handbook?) we can use that.

Hmm, maybe that spire is a Flard, just nobody knows its name?;)

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's hammer out the basics before proceeding further with the special abilities.

Colossal Construct (Extraplanar)?

Str 10, Dex 10, Con -, and ridiculously high mental scores? Maybe around 30in all 3, like the greater archfiends and celestial paragons?

The Hit Dice might need a boost to better fit their size and powers.

Cleon

Legend
Let's hammer out the basics before proceeding further with the special abilities.

Colossal Construct (Extraplanar)?

Str 10, Dex 10, Con -, and ridiculously high mental scores? Maybe around 30in all 3, like the greater archfiends and celestial paragons?

The Hit Dice might need a boost to better fit their size and powers.

I'd give them superb Intelligence and Wisdom but keep their Charisma down.

Remove ads