Converting Psionic Creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
I screwed up in Homebrews, incorrectly listing them as Outsiders rather than Constructs. Thus, they have 6 fewer skills.

I think all the listed skills are necessary, except Diplomacy and Spot, and probably Spellcraft. Re-reading the original text, it doesn't imply that they are very diplomatic or observant, and since they don't actually cast spells, Spellcraft isn't greatly useful. That means not all skills will have max ranks (which is fine). Let's max out all 10 knowledge skills, leaving 78 ranks to divvy between the remaining four skills. Concentration need only be high enough to allow them to cast defensively without risk of attacks (24 ranks should suffice). For the remainder, Appraise 10, Decipher Script 15, Sense Motive 14, Use Magic Device 15?

Manifester level 20th? Or equal to Hit Dice?

Cleon

Legend
I screwed up in Homebrews, incorrectly listing them as Outsiders rather than Constructs. Thus, they have 6 fewer skills.

I think all the listed skills are necessary, except Diplomacy and Spot, and probably Spellcraft. Re-reading the original text, it doesn't imply that they are very diplomatic or observant, and since they don't actually cast spells, Spellcraft isn't greatly useful. That means not all skills will have max ranks (which is fine). Let's max out all 10 knowledge skills, leaving 78 ranks to divvy between the remaining four skills. Concentration need only be high enough to allow them to cast defensively without risk of attacks (24 ranks should suffice). For the remainder, Appraise 10, Decipher Script 15, Sense Motive 14, Use Magic Device 15?

Those skills suit me.

Manifester level 20th? Or equal to Hit Dice?

36th level seems too high. I'd be content with 20th or 24th.

Shade

Monster Junkie
24th feels odd. Let's just go with 20th then. It's probably easier for figuring out augmentations, anyway. B-)

Updated.

Flards have two attacks: The first is a cone of cold (6” long with a 3” base) in any direction, and the alternate one is fear (as a wand) in a 6” radius, which can be used whenever the Flard desires.

Cone of Cold (Su): 60-foot cone, once per round, damage xdx cold, Reflex DC 28 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fear Aura (Su): A flard can radiate a 60-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 28 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 20th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same flard's aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Do those look OK?

Feats: 13 (6 can be epic)
Epic Skill Focus (for multiple Knowledge skills), Force of Will, Iron Will,

Cleon

Legend
Cone of Cold (Su): 60-foot cone, once per round, damage xdx cold, Reflex DC 28 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fear Aura (Su): A flard can radiate a 60-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 28 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 20th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same flard's aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Do those look OK?

Those look OK. 20d6 cold damage for the former attack?

Feats: 13 (6 can be epic)
Epic Skill Focus (for multiple Knowledge skills), Force of Will, Iron Will,

It doesn't have enough epic feats for Epic Skill Focus in all ten Knowledge skills ... unless we make them bonus feats.:lol:

I'd be just as happy giving them a +10 racial bonus to all Knowledge Skills though.

Hmm, here are some possibilities:

Standard Feats
Improved Initiative
Iron Will

Divine Feats
Eyes In The Back Of Your Head
Jack Of All Trades

Epic Feats
Epic Reflexes
Epic Toughness
Epic Will
Epic Skill Focus (all) (bonus) or +10 racial
Superior Initiative

Monster Feats
Quicken Spell-Like Ability

Psionic Feats
Force of Will
Mental Resistance
Power Penetration
Greater Power Penetration

That's 13 feats, assuming we make the ESF bonus feats.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd rather go for the +10 racial bonus on Knowledge, rather than giving it a bunch of bonus feats.

I'm glad you brought up Mental Resistance...I'd considered it as well, then realized these should really have DR x/adamantine like most stone constructs. Considering their power level, I'd recommend 20/adamantine or damage reduction 15/epic and adamantine.

Most of the other feats look good. Blind-Fight and Blindsight, 5-Ft. Radius might also be a nice fit. Since Iron Will and Epic Will don't stack, I'd probably just go with one or another (since Force of Will requires Iron Will, I'd probably go with that).

Cleon

Legend
I'd rather go for the +10 racial bonus on Knowledge, rather than giving it a bunch of bonus feats.

I'd prefer to give it a racial bonus in Knowledge as well.

I'm glad you brought up Mental Resistance...I'd considered it as well, then realized these should really have DR x/adamantine like most stone constructs. Considering their power level, I'd recommend 20/adamantine or damage reduction 15/epic and adamantine.

Not so sure about that. They aren't intended for combat, just for answering questions.

I could go along with DR 15/adamantine I suppose.

Most of the other feats look good. Blind-Fight and Blindsight, 5-Ft. Radius might also be a nice fit. Since Iron Will and Epic Will don't stack, I'd probably just go with one or another (since Force of Will requires Iron Will, I'd probably go with that).

Iron Will and Epic Will both give typeless bonuses, so surely they should stack?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd prefer to give it a racial bonus in Knowledge as well.

Then let's do it. :cool:

Not so sure about that. They aren't intended for combat, just for answering questions.

I could go along with DR 15/adamantine I suppose.

But they are still massive towers composed of stone!

Iron Will and Epic Will both give typeless bonuses, so surely they should stack?

Interesting...good point. Superior Init goes out of its way to indicate that it doesn't stack, so Epic Will must stack with Iron Will.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Epic massive towers made of stone! If we can't cajole Cleon into going higher by reminding him that the DR replaces hardness, let's at least do DR 15/adamantine.

Regarding the feats, flards have psi-like abilities, so they can't take Mental Resistance or Force of Will. And I don't know whether Quicken SLA works on Ps abilities. In any case, we can replace two of those three with more epic feats!

Remove ads