• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Psionic Creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, the original had
Clairsentience: Devotions: Danger Sense, Feel Sound, Hear Light
Psychometabolism: Sciences: Shadow-form; Devotions: Adrenalin Control, Aging, Chameleon Power
Looks like we're going with some of these as powers and some as PLAs; I'd almost rather stick these all into PLAs and write a different power list.

freyar

Besides danger sense, isn't everything in both the PLA and power list psychometabolism? I guess, other than the 2 PLAs being too high level, I don't get the difference. And now there aren't any clear choices for PLAs. Let's at least also give them chameleon as a 3/day PLA even if we leave it on the power list.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We don't necessarily need PLAs. I'm fine with moving chameleon to that list, though.

We should probably look through the other low-level psychometabolism powers to help fill up its powers known list.

Cleon

Legend
We don't necessarily need PLAs. I'm fine with moving chameleon to that list, though.

We should probably look through the other low-level psychometabolism powers to help fill up its powers known list.

I'm starting to think we'd be better off just giving it PLAs and dropping the Egoist manifester levels entirely.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I suppose that makes sense, since the psion levels cheapens their "dance magic".

Why work your butt off as a group to cast a single spell, when each individual can manifest a power each round?

freyar

The dance magic ought to have some boost to it for sure, though I guess I'm not opposed to dropping the innate manifestation.

In addition to their arsenal of psionic powers, the rautym also have a power that is unduplicated in any other known race: they can dance magic, that is, they can summon magical energies by dancing in a certain way. There must, however, be at least two rautym for this to work. One acts as the dancer while the other acts as the focus. A lone rautym dancer must dance five hours to produce a single first level spell; the rautym who acts as the focus is the one who casts the actual spell The focus must have heard of the spell to cast it, and there must be at least twice aa many dancers as there are spell levels for spells past 5th level. The focus need not decide on the spell until the time comes to cast it, and there have been cases where the rautym dance for days, building the magical energies to an unheard.-of level.

Additional rautym reduce the casting time or increase the spell level. The specific amount of time depends on the num ber of dancers, and is five hours divided by the number of dancers. The increase in spell level is one level per rautym until 5th level, at which point there must be two rautym per level. For example, two rautym dancers can enable a focus to cast a second level spell after five hours of dancing, or can enable it to cast a first level spell in two and ½ hours. Likewise, five rautym can cast a 5th-level spell after five hours of dancing, or can decrease the casting time of a 1st-level spell to one hour.
Perhaps the "unheard of levels" means they can do epic casting? Or something like circle casting from FR red wizards/hathrans? Plus, they don't seem to need to know the spells.

Cleon

Legend
Perhaps the "unheard of levels" means they can do epic casting? Or something like circle casting from FR red wizards/hathrans? Plus, they don't seem to need to know the spells.

That seems to be the inference, but I'm not sure I want to give them that much power.

Anyhow, are we going for manifester levels or PLAs?

RavinRay

Explorer
I agree, a modest manifester level with some PLAs thrown in makes a better fit.

As for the dance thingy… it really seems like a ritual for an epic spell for me, but I am really undecided on that. Or an incantation for a one-time effect that combines the effects of two or more spells. Or even a spell enhanced with psionics like the psi-spell abilities of illithids mentioned in Dragon. Just throwing ideas around. ;)

Remove ads