• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting the Cath Shee

Mortis

First Post
freyar said:
(Just out of curiosity, would you need leadership or something like that to get one of these as a friend? I'm just never sure how that should work.)
You would need the Leadership feat if you wanted it as a cohort. If by companion you mean the animal companion class feature then you would need to be a druid or ranger (or any other class that gives you an animal companion).

It should be easy enough to penalize non-elves either way, with a penalty to their leadership score or maybe requiring a feat to acquire a cath shee as an animal companion or even apply a penalty to the class level. ie a human druid could count as 2 levels lower for the purpose of havine a cath shee animal companion.

Also the cath shee is an intelligent creature and would obviously have the choice of whether or not to accompany someone.

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Mortis said:
You would need the Leadership feat if you wanted it as a cohort. If by companion you mean the animal companion class feature then you would need to be a druid or ranger (or any other class that gives you an animal companion).

I guess I meant I wondered if class features/leadership are the only "balanced" core-rules ways to include "animal friends" (for lack of a more generic term). It seems like older editions were a lot more free-form with this.

It should be easy enough to penalize non-elves either way, with a penalty to their leadership score or maybe requiring a feat to acquire a cath shee as an animal companion or even apply a penalty to the class level. ie a human druid could count as 2 levels lower for the purpose of havine a cath shee animal companion.

I like the class level/leadership score penalty for non-elves.

Multiattack would seem like a reasonable feat, in addition to Alertness.

Shade

Monster Junkie
FWIW, here's how they did it for the elven hound (cooshee) in Races of the Wild:

Races of the Wild said:
Although their intelligence is no higher than that of a typical canine, elven hounds have an independent spirit and tend to distrust nonelves. To be trained, an elven hound must have a friendly attitude toward the trainer. An elven hound usually has a friendly attitude toward trainers who are elves or who have elf blood (such as half-elves), provided the trainer supplies the hound with sustenance for at least a few days and has not attacked or mistreated the creature. An elven hound is indifferent (at best) toward most other creatures. Changing an elven hound's attitude requires a wild empathy check (with the normal -4 penalty applied against magical beasts). A character can use a Diplomacy check instead, provided the character has some way to communicate with the cooshee, such as access to a speak with animals spell.

Training a friendly elven hound requires a Handle Animal check. An elf (or a creature with elf blood) can train an elven hound without penalty, but the Handle Animal DCs for any other trainer increase by 5 (in addition to the normal +5 increase to DCs for training a magical beast). The time require depends on the tricks or task the elven hound must learn, as noted in the Handle Animal skill description.

freyar

That looks like a pretty good way to handle this. I guess we'd drop the training/handle animal part due to the cath shee's higher int, though.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
That looks like a pretty good way to handle this. I guess we'd drop the training/handle animal part due to the cath shee's higher int, though.

Actually, check out griffons, giant eagles, etc. You can still train intelligent magical beasts for specific roles (like bearing a rider). It looks like monsters generally only point this out when they can serve as mounts, though.

freyar

Fair enough. If I keep hanging around these conversion threads, I'll get all the monster rules down, anyway. :heh:

+2 natural armor bonus?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads