Converting True Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavinRay

Explorer
Oh, I am weak at those. If I'm lazy when doing homebrew dragons, I just compare the LAs of dragons with identical HD progressions and similar power levels.

As an aside, I got a peek at the rattelyr dragon stats from Shining South. Man, that is one weak dragon! Lowest wyrmling HD (2d12!), natural AC = age category x 2 (!!), ages five times faster than all other known true dragons (!!!).

Plus, after reading through the basic write-ups of the other dragons in the queue, I've gotten some ideas already (like the oriental jade dragon). All in good time though.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'll probably do just that.

Yeah, the rattlyr's an odd one.

Speaking of that, I think the cobra dragon will probably be next, followed by the jade. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
On to the next one...

Cobra Dragon
Created by: Randy Johns
FREQUENCY: Rare
NO. APPEARING: 1-4
ARMOR CLASS: 1
MOVE: 12"/24” (MC: D)
HIT DICE: 10-12
% IN LAIR: 45%
TREASURE TYPE: B, R
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2 claws, 1 bite, and 1 tail strike
DAMAGE/ATTACK: See Table 1
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Major breath weapon, poisonous bite, exceptional damage from bite, four attacks per round, to-hit bonus with age, smoke cloud
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Magic resistance, immune to fire, high intelligence, detects hidden/invisible beings, fear aura, saving-throw bonus with age
MAGIC RESISTANCE: See Table 1
INTELLIGENCE: High
ALIGNMENT. Lawful evil
SIZE: See Table 1
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
CHANCE OF:
Speaking: 95%
Magic Use: Nil
Sleeping: 35%
LEVEL/XP VALUE: 10 HD: IX/6,900 + 14 per hit point; 11-12 HD: X/10,000 + 16 per hit point

A cobra dragon is gloss black, with an orange underbelly. On either side of its neck is a large hood of skin that resembles that of a king cobra. Legend holds that certain king cobras of great age transform into cobra dragons. Evil reptiles of the Orient, these monsters rival western dragons in greed and aggressiveness. Cobra dragons do not use magic; in fact, they are highly resistant to it. Instead, they rely on their natural abilities to destroy their enemies.
A cobra dragon attacks by slashing with its claws and whipping with its tail. Due to great strength and skill, a cobra dragon gains a bonus to hit per age category (see Table 1). From the dragon’s mouth extend two 13” fangs that inject a deadly venom.

A victim bitten by the dragon immediately becomes weak (reduce strength score by half) and dizzy (- 3 on all to-hit rolls), and suffers frequent periods of nausea (+4 bonus to be hit by opponents). Every round thereafter, the victim suffers 1 hp damage from extensive bleeding under the skin. All of these effects continue for 10 rounds; at this time, if the individual is successful in making a saving throw vs. poison, he returns to his normal level of
function. A failed saving throw indicates the victim falls into shock. When in shock, the victim is unconscious, pale, and covered in sweat. Unless the individual is magically cured of the poison within the next five rounds, the victim dies. Those bitten by a cobra dragon cannot ingest solids or liquids (due to nausea) until the effects of the poison have subsided.

Three times per day, a cobra dragon can breathe a cone of fire 90’ long with a 30’ base diameter. Optionally, the dragon can breathe its breath weapon directly under its body. The force of the fiery breath striking the ground forms a 40’-diameter circle of flame (similar in nature to a wall of fire spell) that surrounds the dragon, burning all within its area of effect. This tactic is quite effective when the cobra dragon is surrounded by multiple opponents.
Cobra dragons are not affected by their own breath weapons, as well as all other fire- and heat-based attacks, magical or mundane, but take +2 hp/HD of cold damage. Other elemental attacks (based on water, air, or earth) affect them normally.

When the dragon’s fire breath is expelled, a stationary, black smoke cloud is released from its nostrils in a 90’-diameter circle around the dragon. All those within the cloud (except the dragon) suffer from coughing, nausea, and irritated eyes, resulting in a -2 to hit for as long as the opponents remain within the cloud. The smoke cloud lasts 4-16 rounds before breaking up. Strong winds move the smoke cloud but do not aid in dispersing it. Effects from several smoke clouds are cumulative. Thus, two clouds released in the same area would result in a -4 to hit; three clouds would result in -6 to hit.

Cobra dragons live in caves and underground caverns in tropical and subtropical environments. They dislike swamps. In Kara-Tur (the Oriental Adventures lands of the FORGOTTEN REALMS™ setting), cobra dragons are found in the far southern reaches of the T’u Lung Empire, where they cause considerable grief and destruction. They are said to be even more numerous in other lands south and west of that empire.

Like other dragons, a cobra dragon lays claim to an area of land surrounding its lair, ferociously driving off all other creatures. Intrusion by another cobra dragon is only tolerated during the spring mating season. The mating ritual involves the male and female entering noninjurious combat that results in a fiery display. Mating only occurs during age categories four and five. Cobra dragons past the adult stage of life boast of having outgrown
the mating drive. After mating, the female lays 1-4 12” -long eggs. When hatched, the newborn dragons remain with the female until they reach subadulthood.

Skull collecting is a favorite pastime of cobra dragons. Skulls of powerful monsters and rare creatures are highly prized. Favorite skulls include those of cave bears, dinosaurs, dragons, giants, and unicorns. Humanoid skulls are deemed interesting but of little value since they are so easily obtained. The offering of a rare skull as a gift when attempting to converse with a cobra dragon aids considerably in gaining the dragon’s favor.

Due to its charisma, power, and cunning, a cobra dragon of adult age and beyond attracts a small number of intelligent creatures who search for a leader to serve. Common followers include bake mono, gargoyles, lizard men, and mobats. These creatures live with the dragon and worship it as a god. A cobra dragon of adult age or older has a 60% chance of having 2-8 such allies, chosen by the DM and heavily equipped for combat (if such is possible).

Code:
Table 1 Cobra Dragon Age Categories 
Age category  Length 	MR  Hit bonus Damage by claws/bite/tail
Very young 	6’ 	15% 	-  	1-4/1-10/1-2
Young 		15’ 	30% 	+1  	1-6/1-10/1-4
Subadult 	29' 	45% 	+2  	2-8/2-20/1-6
Young adult	37' 	60% 	+2  	2-12/3-30/2-8
Adult 		40'  	65% 	+3 	2-16/3-10/2-12
Old 		41'	70% 	+3 	2-16/3-30/2-12
Very old 	42'	75% 	+4 	2-16/3-30/2-12
Ancient 	43'  	80% 	+4 	2-16/3-30/2-12

Last edited:

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
On to the next one...
The only juvenile dragon to have 10-12 HD is the White with 12.

Due to great strength and skill, a cobra dragon gains a bonus to hit per age category (see Table 1).
Will be covered by increases to Str.

A victim bitten by the dragon immediately becomes weak (reduce strength score by half) and dizzy (- 3 on all to-hit rolls), and suffers frequent periods of nausea (+4 bonus to be hit by opponents).
2d6 Str damage plus sickened? (3.5 nauseated would be too severe)
Every round thereafter, the victim suffers 1 hp damage from extensive bleeding under the skin.
Bleeding's now represents by loss of Con
All of these effects continue for 10 rounds; at this time, if the individual is successful in making a saving throw vs. poison, he returns to his normal level of function.
So you automatically suffer the consequences for 10 rounds. :eek: I don't think that will work in 3.5.

I suggest an initial effect of 2d6 Str, 1d6 Con and sickened with a secondary effect of more Con damage (which IIRC, replaced the more brutal 'die' option). Say 3d6 Con?

Three times per day, a cobra dragon can breathe a cone of fire 90’ long with a 30’ base diameter.
Replace with standard 1d4 rounds
Optionally, the dragon can breathe its breath weapon directly under its body. The force of the fiery breath striking the ground forms a 40’-diameter circle of flame (similar in nature to a wall of fire spell) that surrounds the dragon, burning all within its area of effect. This tactic is quite effective when the cobra dragon is surrounded by multiple opponents.
Cobra dragons are not affected by their own breath weapons, as well as all other fire- and heat-based attacks, magical or mundane, but take +2 hp/HD of cold damage. Other elemental attacks (based on water, air, or earth) affect them normally.
Is there a feat/ability in the Draonomicon thats allows a dragon to shape it's breath weapon?

When the dragon’s fire breath is expelled, a stationary, black smoke cloud is released from its nostrils in a 90’-diameter circle around the dragon. All those within the cloud (except the dragon) suffer from coughing, nausea, and irritated eyes, resulting in a -2 to hit for as long as the opponents remain within the cloud. The smoke cloud lasts 4-16 rounds before breaking up. Strong winds move the smoke cloud but do not aid in dispersing it. Effects from several smoke clouds are cumulative. Thus, two clouds released in the same area would result in a -4 to hit; three clouds would result in -6 to hit.
Sickening effect?

Due to its charisma, power, and cunning, a cobra dragon of adult age and beyond attracts a small number of intelligent creatures who search for a leader to serve. Common followers include bake mono, gargoyles, lizard men, and mobats. These creatures live with the dragon and worship it as a god. A cobra dragon of adult age or older has a 60% chance of having 2-8 such allies, chosen by the DM and heavily equipped for combat (if such is possible).
Possible 'Leadership' feat?

Regards
Mortis

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
The only juvenile dragon to have 10-12 HD is the White with 12.

Black, white, crystal, emerald, topaz, and brass all fell within that range in 2E, so it could theoretically follow any of their progressions.

Mortis said:
Will be covered by increases to Str.

Indeed.

Mortis said:
2d6 Str damage plus sickened? (3.5 nauseated would be too severe)

That sounds about right.

Mortis said:
Bleeding's now represents by loss of Con

Sometimes. Note the bleeding wounds ability of the MMIII nycaloth, for example. Several other creatures still use the old 3E wounding property in 3.5.

Mortis said:
So you automatically suffer the consequences for 10 rounds. :eek: I don't think that will work in 3.5.

That works out to one minute, which fits rather elegantly with the 3x poison mechanics, though.

Mortis said:
I suggest an initial effect of 2d6 Str, 1d6 Con and sickened with a secondary effect of more Con damage (which IIRC, replaced the more brutal 'die' option). Say 3d6 Con?

I'm leaning towards Str damage and sickened for primary, and nauseated and Con damage for secondary. I think the amounts should vary by age category.

I'd go with bleeding wounds as an alternate special ability.

Mortis said:
Replace with standard 1d4 rounds

Absolutely!

Mortis said:
Is there a feat/ability in the Draonomicon thats allows a dragon to shape it's breath weapon?

Yep, and not surprisingly, it is called "Shape Breath". :)

Mortis said:
Sickening effect?

We could always use the standard smoke effects from the DMG: "A character who breathes heavy smoke must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or spend that round choking and coughing. A character who chokes for 2 consecutive rounds takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Smoke obscures vision, giving concealment (20% miss chance) to characters within it."

Mortis said:
Possible 'Leadership' feat?

Possibly.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Black, white, crystal, emerald, topaz, and brass all fell within that range in 2E, so it could theoretically follow any of their progressions.
True.

Sometimes. Note the bleeding wounds ability of the MMIII nycaloth, for example. Several other creatures still use the old 3E wounding property in 3.5.
Don't you love consistency. :)

That works out to one minute, which fits rather elegantly with the 3x poison mechanics, though.
Yeah, I suppose we could just introduce a primary save.

I think the amounts should vary by age category.
Of course they should :eek:

I'd go with bleeding wounds as an alternate special ability.
Could do :)

We could always use the standard smoke effects from the DMG: "A character who breathes heavy smoke must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or spend that round choking and coughing. A character who chokes for 2 consecutive rounds takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Smoke obscures vision, giving concealment (20% miss chance) to characters within it."
Probably the best way to go.

Then again, I'm getting ahead of myself we should do the basics first. :)

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Getting back to basics, then!

3E Hit Dice of comparable dragons: Black (4-37), white (3-36), brass (4-37), crystal (5-38), emerald (6-39), and topaz (7-40). That's quite a range to play with. I'm tempted to just go with the middle range (5-38). This would put them comparable to the mid-range of chromatic (green) and metallic (copper) dragons.

Fire subtype seems a no-brainer.

Its land speed is comparable to a 2e black, brass, and gold, while it's fly speed is comparable to a crystal and topaz (although its maneuverability is a class worse).

Its magic resistance is 20% better than a gold.

AC is equal to black, white, and copper.

Its Int score is on par with a brass and copper.

It has "great strength and skill", so I'm thinking a decent Str score.

RavinRay

Explorer
We could always use the standard smoke effects from the DMG:
Should we scale the size of the spread, with radius equal to the length of the cone of fire?

Movement: which suits it better, burrow or climb?
Fire breath weapon: 2d6/age category seems a good progression.
Skills: Circumstance bonus to Hide checks when underground?

Shade

Monster Junkie
RavinRay said:
Should we scale the size of the spread, with radius equal to the length of the cone of fire?

Movement: which suits it better, burrow or climb?
Fire breath weapon: 2d6/age category seems a good progression.
Skills: Circumstance bonus to Hide checks when underground?

Not a bad idea on scaling the spread.

Vipers have both a climb and swim speed, so I could see both of those. Since it can fly, though, a climb skill is probably unnecessary.

2d6 progression sounds good.

The Hide bonus could work. Also, I was thinking we should give it typically snake bonuses:

SRD said:
Snakes have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. A snake can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. Snakes use either their Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher. A snake has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads