Converting True Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothenem

Explorer
Hmm, I notice that the jaguar head does more damage than the snake head. Should we try to preserve this?

Also, the "rain" had a 1d4 damage/round for drowning? Should we try to preserve this effect? I would say no.

I have always had a fondness for the Tlalocoatl. That said, I have also had a fondness for Lung dragons too. :)

(Starting at Juvenile)
Caster Level 1st to 15th.
Spells: A tlalocoatl casts spells as a sorcerer of the indicated level, but can only choose spells from the Cleric spell list, and from the Air, Protection, and Water domains.

Also noticed that your writeup of the two-heads ability makes no reference to spell-like abilities and spells.... Could it not cast with one head and attack with the other?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
RavinRay said:
Shouldn't the jaguar head's cool fog breath weapon work like obscuring mist (fog cloud is too strong, I suppose)?

Perhaps.

RavinRay said:
Does the rain effect work with either jaguar head breath weapon, or just one of them?

It sounds like either. I should probably clarify that in the breath weapon writeup.

Gothenem said:
Hmm, I notice that the jaguar head does more damage than the snake head. Should we try to preserve this?

Yeah. In the multiple heads ability above, I suggested adding its Strength modifier to damage for its snake head, and 1-1/2 times its Strength modifier to damage with its jaguar head. Is this enough?

Gothenem said:
Also, the "rain" had a 1d4 damage/round for drowning? Should we try to preserve this effect? I would say no.

Agreed.

Gothenem said:
(Starting at Juvenile)
Caster Level 1st to 15th.
Spells: A tlalocoatl casts spells as a sorcerer of the indicated level, but can only choose spells from the Cleric spell list, and from the Air, Protection, and Water domains.

That might work.

Gothenem said:
Also noticed that your writeup of the two-heads ability makes no reference to spell-like abilities and spells.... Could it not cast with one head and attack with the other?

I don't see why it shouldn't be able to.

Gothenem

Explorer
Also for the spells and spell-likes, would it be able to cast 2 spells a round. Would that would be too much?

Multiple Heads (Ex): Each of a rain dragon's two heads can take a standard action each round. Thus, it may make two bite attacks, use two breath weapons, or any combination of the two each round. It adds its Strength modifier to damage for its snake head, and 1-1/2 times its Strength modifier to damage with its jaguar head. Tlalocoatls can attack with both their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge during the round. A tlalocoatl can only use one spell or spell-like ability each round. A tlalocoatl only gets one move action each round.

or

Multiple Heads (Ex): Each of a rain dragon's two heads can take a standard action each round. Thus, each round it can take 2 standard actions and one move action or one full round action and one standard action. It adds its Strength modifier to damage for its snake head, and 1-1/2 times its Strength modifier to damage with its jaguar head. Tlalocoatls can attack with both their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge during the round. A tlalocoatl cannot use its extra standard action to perform a move-equivalent action.

Perhaps the first version could be re-written better.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Alright, getting back to this.

I'll have another look at the multiple heads later.

Back to basics...

Its 2E Hit Dice is equal to black and brass, so we'll go with the 3E HD progression of those two. Its size is on par with both as well, so the size progression will follow likewise.

It's as intelligent as a black, so we can follow the black's Int progression.

I see nothing to indicate better Dex than other dragons.

As for the other ability scores, I see no good reason to differ from the comparable black and brass.

AC is also on par with brass, so we can follow the brass's AC progression.

I'll work something up in homebrews later and we can go from there.

Gothenem

Explorer
Shade said:
Alright, getting back to this.

I'll have another look at the multiple heads later.

Back to basics...

Its 2E Hit Dice is equal to black and brass, so we'll go with the 3E HD progression of those two. Its size is on par with both as well, so the size progression will follow likewise.

It's as intelligent as a black, so we can follow the black's Int progression.

I see nothing to indicate better Dex than other dragons.

As for the other ability scores, I see no good reason to differ from the comparable black and brass.

AC is also on par with brass, so we can follow the brass's AC progression.

I'll work something up in homebrews later and we can go from there.

Looks good, I'll head over there then :)

RavinRay

Explorer
So the Swim class skill gives it an automatic swim speed, same as its base land speed. Sounds good to me. Survival is ok with me, Spellcraft just slightly less so, but then since it doesn't have your typical draconic sorcerous spellcasting levels, it's a more magic-oriented than physical-combat dragon.

Shade

Monster Junkie
RavinRay said:
So the Swim class skill gives it an automatic swim speed, same as its base land speed. Sounds good to me. Survival is ok with me, Spellcraft just slightly less so, but then since it doesn't have your typical draconic sorcerous spellcasting levels, it's a more magic-oriented than physical-combat dragon.

Actually, it's the other way around: a swim speed gives you a bonus on the Swim skill. I figured Swim as a class skill because they don't have a swim speed, but have numerous abilities that create water. I'm not opposed to giving them a swim speed, though. It would be funny to watch a creature with heads on both ends swim, though, wouldn't it? :lol:

Gothenem

Explorer
Shade said:
Actually, it's the other way around: a swim speed gives you a bonus on the Swim skill. I figured Swim as a class skill because they don't have a swim speed, but have numerous abilities that create water. I'm not opposed to giving them a swim speed, though. It would be funny to watch a creature with heads on both ends swim, though, wouldn't it? :lol:

Yeah, :lol: .

Umm, Swim, Survival for sure. Spellcraft is interesting, but:

What I would LIKE to see though, is a side bar with the following -

"If you have the book Tome of Magic, a Tlalocoatl has Truespeak as a class skill instead of Spellcraft."

I just think that Truespeak fits the Tlalocoatl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads