• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since Sense Motive is already a class skill for dragons, we can replace that with Perform (comedy).

I'd also prefer Bluff to either Hide, since it is interested in engaging in conversation.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated in Homebrews.

As for speed, it's flight speed was slower than all the other true dragons I found.

100 at wyrmling to 150 at great wyrm appears to be the worst flight speed progression I found. Have you seen any worse?

Their maneuverability, on the other hand, is quite good.

Gothenem

Explorer
No, not really. Dragons have always been speedy fliers.

We could always knock their speed down a bit, Say 80 to 130 (Just knock 20 feet off the 100-150 progression).

RavinRay

Explorer
Fang dragons are relatively slow fliers, ranging from 90 to 150 ft. Oceanus dragons are similarly slow (100-150 ft.) because they are primarily aquatic. Ethereal dragons actually slow down as they age, dropping from 60 to 30 ft.! :eek:

Shade

Monster Junkie
RavinRay said:
Fang dragons are relatively slow fliers, ranging from 90 to 150 ft. Oceanus dragons are similarly slow (100-150 ft.) because they are primarily aquatic. Ethereal dragons actually slow down as they age, dropping from 60 to 30 ft.! :eek:

Interesting!

Hmmm...how about 90 to 120 ft.?

I updated the homebrews with some flavor text. Let me know what you think, and if there's anything you'd like to add to it.

RavinRay

Explorer
Speeds of 90 to 120 ft. with good to average/poor maneuverability is a fair trade-off.

Nice flavor! Pathetic Presence really hits me! Now since the MM and Draconomicon both give dragons their distinctive scents, what should the pink's be? Flowery? Detergent-like? I'll add the myth in my homebrew that Aasterinian may have had a role in creating this species. :lol:

Shade

Monster Junkie
RavinRay said:
Speeds of 90 to 120 ft. with good to average/poor maneuverability is a fair trade-off.

Great. I'll make it so.

RavinRay said:
Nice flavor! Pathetic Presence really hits me! Now since the MM and Draconomicon both give dragons their distinctive scents, what should the pink's be? Flowery? Detergent-like? I'll add the myth in my homebrew that Aasterinian may have had a role in creating this species. :lol:

Thanks! How about it smells like a combination of soap and flowers?

Shade

Monster Junkie
About all that's left is to determine CR.

The rattelyr has CR of Wyrmling 2; very young 3; young 4; juvenile 6; young adult 8; adult 10; mature adult 12; old 14; very old 16; ancient 18; wyrm 19; great wyrm 20.

The pink dragon has 1 less HD at each age category. Additionally, it lacks any special abilities until juvenile age. After that point, it has more special abilities than rattelyrs.

Perhaps Wyrmling 1; very young 2; young 3; juvenile 5; young adult 8; adult 10; mature adult 12; old 14; very old 16; ancient 18; wyrm 19; great wyrm 20?

Gothenem

Explorer
Hmmm, I'd go with the Rattelyr's progression. The Pink gets spells (not many, but some) right from 1st level, it can fly (where the Rattelyr cannot, and flight is a big advantage, especially at low levels). I think those compensate for the HD difference at the lower ages.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Gothenem said:
Hmmm, I'd go with the Rattelyr's progression. The Pink gets spells (not many, but some) right from 1st level, it can fly (where the Rattelyr cannot, and flight is a big advantage, especially at low levels). I think those compensate for the HD difference at the lower ages.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but does the rattelyr's resistance to electricity 20,
immunity to fire, rattle, and tremorsense perhaps offset the ability to cast low-level spells?

That reminds me...I currently have them without a caster level until juvenile age category...that will need revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads