• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
I think you're right about Slither---Hiss!, but it would be nice to keep it to level 1. Illusion [figment, fear]. It's a cross between ghost sounds and magic mouth, so level 1 makes some sense there. Suppose we tone down the fear effect to bane, lasting 1 minute. Would it still be 1st level in that case?

Pretty---Boom! should definitely be evocation [force]. The question is what effect exactly?

Gosh, I seem to have missed a lot of drake action!

I fear it would be difficult justifying slither-hiss! as a 1st level spell, since it is a multi-target fear effect it could end up a lot more potent than the 1st level cause fear spell. I guess if it only causes a few rounds of the Shaken condition and has some HD limit (affects total HD up to caster HD? (max 10)?) it could be balanced for 1st level.

Pretty-boom! looks more like a 2nd level spell to me, a downgraded version of explosive runes.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
I think you're right about Slither---Hiss!, but it would be nice to keep it to level 1. Illusion [figment, fear]. It's a cross between ghost sounds and magic mouth, so level 1 makes some sense there. Suppose we tone down the fear effect to bane, lasting 1 minute. Would it still be 1st level in that case?

I think that's reasonable, or even shakened for 1 round/level. In that case, it is essentially doom that affects multiple opponents, but for a shorter duration.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I'm a little undecided about the subschool now, either figment or pattern. Because it seems to be a mind-affecting fear effect, I'm sort of leaning toward pattern, actually. What do you think?

Ok, affects up to 10HD of targets within 5 ft of the triggering creature, shaken for 1 rd/caster level?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Also, I agree with Cleon's assessment of Pretty-boom! looks resembling a weaker version of explosive runes, which deals force damage.

freyar

Let's try this spell out. Should we also allow the trigger to depend on creature type?

Slither --- Hiss!
Illusion (pattern) [fear, mind-affecting?]
Level: Sorc/Wiz 1?
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One object (see text)
Duration: 24 hours or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)

When a creature comes within 10 ft of the target object, the spell creates the illusory sound of a large serpent crawling and hissing nearby. In addition, the first 10HD of creatures within a 5 ft radius (or 10 ft?) of the creature that triggers the spell (including the triggering creature) are shaken for 1 round per caster level. Creatures with the lowest HD are affected first, and the creature closest to the triggering creature is affected first in the case of a tie.

A Will save to disbelieve the illusion also negates the fear effect.

Material Component: A snake skin or lizard skin.

Cleon

Legend
Let's try this spell out. Should we also allow the trigger to depend on creature type?

Slither --- Hiss!
Illusion (pattern) [fear, mind-affecting?]
Level: Sorc/Wiz 1?
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One object (see text)
Duration: 24 hours or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)

When a creature comes within 10 ft of the target object, the spell creates the illusory sound of a large serpent crawling and hissing nearby. In addition, the first 10HD of creatures within a 5 ft radius (or 10 ft?) of the creature that triggers the spell (including the triggering creature) are shaken for 1 round per caster level. Creatures with the lowest HD are affected first, and the creature closest to the triggering creature is affected first in the case of a tie.

A Will save to disbelieve the illusion also negates the fear effect.

Material Component: A snake skin or lizard skin.

That looks good. I'd go for the 10 foot radius, myself.

freyar

And I thought it might need a little polish!

Let's get rid of some question marks:
Allow it to trigger only when a certain creature type comes by (like magic mouth)?
Spell level 1?
mind-affecting fear or just fear?

Cleon

Legend
And I thought it might need a little polish!

Let's get rid of some question marks:
Allow it to trigger only when a certain creature type comes by (like magic mouth)?
Spell level 1?
mind-affecting fear or just fear?

Well we'll needs some way to let the drake get through without triggering it, either a password or being able to set it to a creature type.

How about it triggers whenever a creature without the Draconic or Reptilian types passes by?

My preference is for spell level 1 and mind-affecting fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads