• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

At a distance of 120 feet or more, the onxy dragon cannot be distinguished from a black dragon, unless there is bright sunlight (in which case the dragon’s bright scales are conspicuous). At closer range the onxy dragon’s lustrous, jeweled scales shimmer and sparkle in the light, revealing the mighty reptile’s true nature. In sunlight, the onxy dragon’s deep black scales shine as brightly as a thousand mirrors.

RavinRay said:
The picture of the 2e onyx dragon is very similar to that of the 2e black dragon, to the point of having forward-pointing horns. So maybe we can later add a Knowledge or Spot check for onyx dragons (and the other gem dragons as well) to distinguish them from their chromatic counterparts, the check increasing in low-light conditions?

I think working out this mechanic is all that's left.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd say both, as is common for the Camouflage ability.

Camouflage (Ex): Since an assassin vine looks like a black dragon in areas of shadowy illumination or darkness, it takes a DC 20 Spot check to notice its true nature. Anyone with ranks in Knowledge (arcana) can use that skill instead of Spot to notice the difference.

Do we want them to smell differently than the black dragon? If so, we might note that creatures with the scent ability immediately notice the difference.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Both skills sound good. As for scent, does anyone know if any flavor anywhere suggested if they smell the same or different?

RavinRay

Explorer
Actually there's no mention of any scent whatsoever. By virtue of not being mentioned I'd guess they smell differently sinceI assumemost 2e adventurers didn't put too much stock in developing their olfactory sense. Plus it would add to the sensible differences between black and onyx dragons aside from the luster of their scales.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Actually there's no mention of any scent whatsoever. By virtue of not being mentioned I'd guess they smell differently sinceI assumemost 2e adventurers didn't put too much stock in developing their olfactory sense. Plus it would add to the sensible differences between black and onyx dragons aside from the luster of their scales.

Well surely a black dragon smells acidic, so I'd agree the two dragons would have easily differentiated scents.

Remove ads