Converting True Dragons

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's make the breath weapon a cone (more standard). I'm not sure we'd need to give the stats for the advnced one; an underbar stating that Dex stays the same should be enough.

I'm not quite sure of the mechanics on the eye gouge. It sounds like it should only be a critical on a dive.

RavinRay

Explorer
Wizards did nerf the faerie dragon, so yeah, let's keep the hawkdragon simple.

Ref save for Eye Gouge (ouch!) is good.

I was thinking more of 1d6 rounds between breaths like one of the lost chromatic dragons (orange I think), but 1d4+1 (as if it used a metabreath feat) is ok too.

freyar

Thinking about the eye gouge, I guess crit plus Ref save is good. Dazzled, then blinded is growing on me.

Cleon

Legend
Let's make the breath weapon a cone (more standard). I'm not sure we'd need to give the stats for the advnced one; an underbar stating that Dex stays the same should be enough.

I'm not quite sure of the mechanics on the eye gouge. It sounds like it should only be a critical on a dive.

That all sounds good to me.

I'm thinking we should do something with the "During a dive, a hawkdragon can only attack with its claws and tail, but all hits are at +4 on the die, damage is doubled" bit of the description. Some variant of the Pounce special attack?

Revision #2:

Hawkdragon
Tiny Dragon
Hit Dice: 1d12+1 (7)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 100 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural)
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 10
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4-2)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4-2) and 2 claws +3 melee (1d2-2) and tail +3 melee (1d2-2)
Advancement: 2-3 HD (Small)
Feats: Weapon Finesse (B) plus Multiattack ?

Combat
Breath Weapon (Su) - 10-foot cone of toxic vapours usable once every 1d4+1 rounds. All creatures inside must succeed at a DC 11 Fort save or be nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds. Hawkdragons and creatures with immunity to poison are not affected. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Eye Gouge (Ex) - If a hawkdragon scores a critical hit with a claw while making a swoop attack (see below), the target must succeed at a DC 12 Reflex save or lose an eye. Treat the target as permanently dazzled if only lose some of their eyes, or blinded if they lose all their eyes. The save DC is Dexterity based.

Protection From Arrows (Su) - continuous DR 10/magic versus ranged weapons?

Swoop (Ex): If a flying hawkdragon charges or dives at a foe, it can make a full attack with both claws and its tail, doing double damage with any attacks that hit: 2 claws at +5 melee (2d2-2) and a tail attack at +3 melee (2d2-2). If either of its claw attacks hit it can attempt an eye gouge (see above).

Cleon

Legend
Let's just do critical and not allow a save. Make it a little more common. :devil:

Well I'd go along with that if t'others agree, but I'd prefer a random factor over it happening automatically on a Crit. We could give it a racial bonus to up the DC to make it more likely. How about +4 to honour the original's "all hits are at +4 on the die"?

Revision #3:

Eye Gouge (Ex) - If a hawkdragon scores a critical hit with a claw while making a swoop attack (see below), the target must succeed at a DC 16 Reflex save or lose an eye. Treat the target as permanently dazzled if only some of their eyes are lost, or blinded if they lose all their eyes. The save DC is Dexterity based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to homebrews.

Max out Listen and Spot? What other 2 skills? Maybe Search and Survival?

Wanna borrow this?

Skills: Hawks have a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm always up for Tumble. :)

Updated.

Environment: Temperate forests and hills?

Organization: Solitary, mated pair, or family (3-5)?

Challenge Rating: x

Treasure: x

A hawkdragon ranges from 1-1/2 to 3 feet long and weighs x pounds.

freyar

What you've got looks pretty good.

If it weren't for the low hp I'd go with CR 2, but I think they might be a really tough CR 1.

Let's give them double standard treasure. They're dragons, and I don't see them accumulating many shiny objects without getting to double standard probably.

A little bulkier than regular hawks maybe, since they're dragons, so up to 5 lb?

Remove ads