• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, "racial Hit Dice" is the more widely-used method. Let's use that.

It sounds like the majority prefer 1 min/age category for the breath weapon.

Updated.

Added a description, flavor text, and tactics.

RavinRay

Explorer
Anyone remember if the druidic wurms of Dragon magazine had elemental subtypes? Because if not then this one probably doesn't need one either.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, "racial Hit Dice" is the more widely-used method. Let's use that.

It sounds like the majority prefer 1 min/age category for the breath weapon.

Updated.

Well there's no accounting for taste.:p

Added a description, flavor text, and tactics.

You've given them a Black Dragon's CR progression, but I think they're a bit tougher than that - their spellcasting is better and their wildshape has all kinds of uses.

Wouldn't somewhere around a Brass or a Bronze Dragon be more appropriate?

Comparing the two they're a lot closer to a Brass Dragon than a Black or Bronze as far as their stats go, so I would use that CR progression instead.

Brass: Wyrmling 3; very young 4; young 6; juvenile 8; young adult 10; adult 12; mature adult 15; old 17; very old 19; ancient 20; wyrm 21; great wyrm 23

Alternatively, we could average the Brass and Bronze CR progressions, which would give something like:

Brass-Bronze: Wyrmling 3; very young 4; young 6; juvenile 8; young adult 11; adult 13; mature adult 16; old 18; very old 19; ancient 21; wyrm 22; great wyrm 24

I think the Brass is a better fit.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It could. It seems to be a defender of forests, not just autumnal forests.

We can put it to a vote, if you'd like. I vote "any forest".

Remove ads