• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
I've never had eggs benedict that I can remember or eaten or made poached eggs. Think I might try to make some.

Same I didn't like eggs when I was younger and I'm not very good at it.

I can make onlettes, hard boil, scramble etc but I don't like doing it and we don't eat eggs fast enough and throw them out.

R_J_K75

Legend
Same I didn't like eggs when I was younger and I'm not very good at it.

I can make onlettes, hard boil, scramble etc but I don't like doing it and we don't eat eggs fast enough and throw them out.
I always made eggs, even when I was younger, as a matter of fact that's the first thing I ever cooked by myself. I can make pretty good fried & scrambled eggs as well as omelets. Scrambled eggs and omelets aren't as easy as to make "correct" as people think, but I suppose that's subjective. One of the first things that they teach chefs in culinary school are how to make eggs and omelets.

Zardnaar

Legend
I always made eggs, even when I was younger, as a matter of fact that's the first thing I ever cooked by myself. I can make pretty good fried & scrambled eggs as well as omelets. Scrambled eggs and omelets aren't as easy as to make "correct" as people think, but I suppose that's subjective. One of the first things that they teach chefs in culinary school are how to make eggs and omelets.
More or less learnt the hard way. Following instructions isn't hard.

We did get cooking classes at school age 11/12 and scout camping.

R_J_K75

Legend
We did get cooking classes at school age 11/12.
Thats really cool. We didn't get any cooking classes in school, so I had to learn using cookbooks, TV shows, internet all trial and error. Its funny because I don't think I ever make anything the same way twice. Sometimes it come out good, and sometimes I wouldnt even feed it to my cats.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t recall any of my schools offering cooking classes.

But I started learning how to cook at around age 7. Mom had been hospitalized for a week or so, and when she came home- still on bed rest- I told her that dad had been feeding me cold cereal & PB & J sandwiches while she was laid up, and the only hot meals I got were at school*. So I whispered conspiratorially, “Teach me how to cook!”

(FWIW, scrambled eggs were the first dish I learned.)

* Dad denies the truth of this, but I know he didn’t know how to cook anything back then. If there were other hot meals at that time, they were takeout.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don’t recall any of my schools offering cooking classes.

But I started learning how to cook at around age 7. Mom had been hospitalized for a week or so, and when she came home- still on bed rest- I told her that dad had been feeding me cold cereal & PB & J sandwiches while she was laid up, and the only hot meals I got were at school*. So I whispered conspiratorially, “Teach me how to cook!”

(FWIW, scrambled eggs were the first dish I learned.)

* Dad denies the truth of this, but I know he didn’t know how to cook anything back then. If there were other hot meals at that time, they were takeout.

They called it manual here, 5 subjects.

Woodwork, metalwork, art, sewing, cooking. At intermediate.

R_J_K75

Legend
I did take woodworking, sewing and art in a couple of schools.
We didn't get a choice.

Not sure how typical my school was and at hogh school year obe agriculture was a course for example.
I remember it being called Home Economics and Wood Shop. You took one one year and the other another in 7-8 grade. I can honestly say that I didn't learn much of anything useful besides the fundamentals in my grammar/ high school years. Most was common sense. I would have liked a cooking class that taught me how to cook, how to pick and store ingredients, how to budget, and read nutrition labels.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Recent dinner:
Mom’s plate
My plate

(Dad doesn’t eat dinners much anymore- he ate his for breakfast. Happily!)

A simple but satisfying meal of pork chops, cauliflower and sautéed mushrooms.

I preaheated my oven to 350degF and olive oiled an edged cooking sheet. I covered the sheet with sliced yellow onion, which I seasoned with black pepper and some Kinder’s Garlic & Herb mix. I then lightly oiled my chops and seasoned them liberally on both sides with the same mix, then laid them on top of the onions. That sheet went into the oven for an hour. (I could have cooked it 10 minutes less, but I wanted some of the onions to get a deeper caramelization.)

I tossed my cleaned and cut cauliflower florets in melted butter and Morton’s Season All mix, then cooked them in my toaster oven at 450degF until the florets started browning at the tips.

Lastly, the sliced portobello mushrooms were mixed with diced green onions, then sautéed with chives, ground black pepper, ground thyme, garlic powder, parsley, butter, red wine, a teaspoon of Dijon mustard and a couple dollops of A1 steak sauce.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads