• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We had a fried turkey, boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce, sweet potato casserole, broccoli-rice casserole, mashed potatoes, grandes biscuits, corn on the cob, spanikopita, pecan pie, annd ice cream. Our guest made an apple spice cake.

Except for the cake, it was all takeout or stuff we could heat in the microwave, oven, or toaster oven- no real cooking was done this year. I didn’t even make stock from the turkey carcass.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
We had a fried turkey, boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce, sweet potato casserole, broccoli-rice casserole, mashed potatoes, grandes biscuits, corn on the cob, spanikopita, pecan pie, annd ice cream. Our guest made an apple spice cake.

Except for the cake, it was all takeout or stuff we could heat in the microwave, oven, or toaster oven- no real cooking was done this year. I didn’t even make stock from the turkey carcass.
We were just cooking for ourselves, because that's what we do. I hope y'all are improving.

Vael

Legend
Well, my faith in my baking skills has been shattered. I generally make french macarons for gift packages, and Mom likes my homemade marshmallows. And both came out poorly. The macarons didn't rise, they cracked. The marshmallows lack the pillowy texture and are almost rubbery. Supposed to make sweets for a party this weekend and I just want to cry and give up.

Vael

Legend
Macarons are such a tricky cookie. They're fickle about everything. My wife's made them a few times with different results. I dare not try -- it'd be a waste of ingredients.

They are, but I have had success with them, so it was frustrating to have two failures with two recipes that are not new to me.

That said, feeling better and like I have my mojo back, so to speak. Tried out a new recipe for Lemon Coconut squares, and made a batch of cream puffs that came out pretty good. And I took over deep fryer duties from my dad and made eggrolls for a family party.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tomorrow is going to be a busy day in the kitchen.

Besides cooking a big rib roast, some buttered turnips and trying an experiment with a hot sausage dressing for late lunch/early dinner, it’s time for me to either make or do preparations for the holiday season food gifts.

So tomorrow, I’ll be making:

1) a trail mix of mixed nuts and dried fruit
2) a spice mix used to make our family’s Louisiana hot sausage
3) mixing the ingredients for our bread pudding (so they can soak overnight)

And at some point in the next 48 hours, I’ll also be making some of the actual hot sausage AND bread puddings mentioned above. That’s the real chore of all of this, because I mix it by hand.

So my kitchen will be producing things like:

Last edited:

Jahydin

Hero
That said, feeling better and like I have my mojo back, so to speak. Tried out a new recipe for Lemon Coconut squares, and made a batch of cream puffs that came out pretty good. And I took over deep fryer duties from my dad and made eggrolls for a family party.
I do admire those who bake. I love to cook, but baking gives me anxiety like nothing else.

Not too long ago we invested in a nice counter-top oven and that has helped a lot though. More accurate/consistent temperature, convection, and better heat distribution.

Anyway, glad you're back at it and looking forward to hearing more from you!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
CleverDoodles

Ingredients:

(All ingredients at room temperature)
  • 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons (10mL) vanilla extract
  • 3-1/3 (400g) cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons (10g) baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon (7g) salt
  • large pinch of ground nutmeg
  • 3 tablespoons (70g) granulated sugar
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon (5g) ground cinnamon
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C)
  2. Cream the sticks of butter with 2 cups of granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
  4. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together.
  5. Add the flour mixture to the butter/egg mixture. Stir until completely blended (dough will be very stiff)
  6. Divide the dough into twelve equal balls, set aside.
  7. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with the teaspoon of cinnamon in a small bowl.
  8. Roll the dough balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until completely coated.
  9. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, and mash with a drinking glass until they are about a half-inch thick.
  10. Sprinkle with any remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture
  11. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Do not overbake.
Makes a dozen cookies.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm allowed 1 bad meal a week.

20231217_094907.jpg

Local Cafe Corn fritters.

Which means rest of week 20231219_175724.jpg

Small kevab with side salad. Sourdough pita bread and air fried lightly seasoned chicken.

And oatmeal for breakfast. Tomorrow's breakfast oatmeal. Day after oatmeal.

Sunday bad meal and two hour hike sigh.

Last week's bad treat.
20231210_093105.jpg

Philippines cake xalled Ube. Purple colour comes from yams.

Last weeks naughty meal.
20231213_181755.jpg

And only burger I've had since early October.

Oats. Yay.

Last edited:

Remove ads