Cookin again

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Tonight was my turn to cook, so I decided to make the Indian Chicken and Cilantro Stew in Milk Street's Fast and Slow (pp 152-53). A question, as experienced cooks, do y'all have any recommendations for a way to shred chicken that doesn't feel like it's punishment? It feels like penance for something I didn't realize I did -- five "Our Fathers," three "Hail Marys," and shred two pounds of chicken.
If you have a stand mixer, throw the chicken in and use the paddle attachment. Run it on low for 40-60 seconds. Any big chunks left just shred the with your fingers. That’s how we’ve done it for years. Saw it on some random YouTube channel. So much easier. Just don’t let it run too long. The chicken will basically turn to powdery bits.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
If you have a stand mixer, throw the chicken in and use the paddle attachment. Run it on low for 40-60 seconds. Any big chunks left just shred the with your fingers. That’s how we’ve done it for years. Saw it on some random YouTube channel. So much easier. Just don’t let it run too long. The chicken will basically turn to powdery bits.
Right on. That's a neat idea, and I'll give it a go it next time. My wife had bought a pair of these guys. And, though they're much better than two forks, I get the same old hand cramps.

Reynard

Legend
20240413_182727.jpg

Smash burger with thick sliced cheddar and slow caramelized onions. The beef was mixed with fully ground bacon ends. It was unbelievable.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A question, as experienced cooks, do y'all have any recommendations for a way to shred chicken that doesn't feel like it's punishment?
Our sweet old grrrl* is on restricted diet that has me cooking chicken thighs or breasts** for her, 5-10lbs at a time. After roasting them, I debone the parts and grind them in our food processor. However, I’m grinding it down to a fairly fine crumble- with more fat, I could make it into chicken patties.

But of course, it’s a process. There’s a point in the process where it’s just starting to come apart. A few quick pulses will probably do a lot of the heavy lifting for your purposes.

CdGn3dI.jpeg

** or occasionally whole turkeys, when they’re cheaper

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Goulash was one of the dishes I fell in love with when I lived in Europe for 3 years as a kid. I used to get it every time we went to one particular restaurant that specialized in Eastern European dishes. When I went back to Europe as a teen, something like 1/3-1/2 of the tour was in Hungary- mostly Budapest. And I had goulash with (or as) every restaurant meal we had in that time, except the one lunch where I tried the Cold Fruit Soup. (Which was very good, FWIW.)

So much do I love it that it became an inspiration for me when I decided to create my own stew/soup as the newly anointed main cook for our family. But up until recently, I’ve never made an actual goulash.

Zardnaar

Legend
Goulash was one of the dishes I fell in love with when I lived in Europe for 3 years as a kid. I used to get it every time we went to one particular restaurant that specialized in Eastern European dishes. When I went back to Europe as a teen, something like 1/3-1/2 of the tour was in Hungary- mostly Budapest. And I had goulash with (or as) every restaurant meal we had in that time, except the one lunch where I tried the Cold Fruit Soup. (Which was very good, FWIW.)

So much do I love it that it became an inspiration for me when I decided to create my own stew/soup as the newly anointed main cook for our family. But up until recently, I’ve never made an actual goulash.

Good luck finding it here lol.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Good luck finding it here lol.
I’ve only seen it on a couple menus in the D/FW area since we moved here in 1982. The only one of those places still around is a really good German restaurant, but they’re a 30 minute drive away.

I occasionally find it in the little towns around Texas. There’s lots of towns founded by immigrants from Germany, Czechoslovakia, and so forth. But I don’t travel around the state as much as I used to.

So I get to have the real deal 1-2 times a year, max.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I’ve only seen it on a couple menus in the D/FW area since we moved here in 1982. The only one of those places still around is a really good German restaurant, but they’re a 30 minute drive away.

I occasionally find it in the little towns around Texas. There’s lots of towns founded by immigrants from Germany, Czechoslovakia, and so forth. But I don’t travel around the state as much as I used to.

So I get to have the real deal 1-2 times a year, max.
I live near lots of places settled by people from that part of the world, and there are a couple of restaurants serving that cuisine near me. I should check them out at some point--I've been jamming on stuff from elsewhere for a while now.

Remove ads