Cooks of ENWorld- Turkeycaust 2006 is over! What did you eat? (Recipes, anyone?)

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Aurora said:
It's never too cold to smoke a turkey! I loves me some smoked turkey. Really, any smoked meat is good. It's full of carcinogens, but then again, so is everything.....
Are you a smoker?

Elf Witch

First Post
I found a new way to cook turkey this year. I read that you cook it breast side down so the jiuces from the dark meat keep the white meat tender.

It worked the white meat was nice and juicy and not dry at all.

Huw

First Post
Elf Witch said:
I found a new way to cook turkey this year. I read that you cook it breast side down so the jiuces from the dark meat keep the white meat tender.

It worked the white meat was nice and juicy and not dry at all.

I always do chickens that way. Keep them breast down until the last 25 minutes or so. Then turn breast-up to get that nice golden sheen. A bit awkward with ducks - too much fat.

Elf Witch

First Post
Huw said:
I always do chickens that way. Keep them breast down until the last 25 minutes or so. Then turn breast-up to get that nice golden sheen. A bit awkward with ducks - too much fat.

I am going to staet doing that with chicken I eat a lot of white meat because dark meat is just to greasy for my middle age tummy but I find it so dry.

As for duck when I cook it I cook it up on a rack so the fat drips down and I am constantly pouring the fat off during the cooking process I do the same with goose.

Pbartender

First Post
I cooked a duck this year -- without the goddamned orange sauce that everyone else always seems to insist on slathering over ducks -- primarily to avoid the months worth of leftovers that invariably result from cooking a whole turkey for just a family of four. We had wild rice, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, and fresh baked bread to go with it. Plus, we had three home made pies... cherry, apple and pumpkin.

We're already almost finished wiht the leftovers... The duck and the sweetpotatoes were gone that night. Friday, I made tomato soup wiht wild rice for lunch. Yesterday for breakfast we had potato pancakes. That just leaves the green bean casserole and half a pie for tonight.

I've never had a problem with dried out white meat on any kind of bird... The trick is to thoroughly baste the bird with a mixture of melted butter and its own dripping about every half hour. You end up with juicy meat and golden, crisp skin.

And NEVER, EVER over-cook the bird... Base the time you eat dinner on when the bird comes out of the oven. Cook all the other dishes early, and keep them warm. Cooking the bird early, and leaving it "warming" in the oven while everything cooks is the quickest, easiest and most common way to dry out the meat.

Last edited:

Dragongirl

First Post
Well I went to a potluck party and made some stuffing. This is what I put in it, :

4 loaves of white bread, shredded
48 ounces of applesauce
32 ounces of chicken broth
cooked pork sausage (3 pounds before cooking)
lots of sage
salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all up in a bit bowl. Put it in the oven at 200 degrees and mix every 30 minutes or so until it is dry enough to your taste.

Has a nice sweet taste but also a tang from the sausage.

Remove ads