D&D General Cool Fey Scenarios

the Jester

Legend
I ran what I consider to be a really cool fey scenario last night, or at least the first half of one, and wanted to share. The set up is that the pcs were hired to find some missing people. The person doing the hiring had told the pcs that he thought that his son was kidnapped by a circus. A couple of days previously, the pcs had heard what sounded like crowd noise, applause, etc in the distance while traveling overland.

Well, the pcs found the source of the noise after a little more travel: an area where a walled-in amphitheater had been built. There were about 40 people in the audience, a couple of guards, and a handful of performers on stage, with one clearly the star and the rest obviously understudies. There were a few dwarves out front selling ale and spirits, and the pcs spotted that at least a few of the drunker audience members were accompanied by mischievous little winged creatures that looked like parodies of the drunk people- these were whiskey pixies, a type of homebrewed fey that are basically the essence of the drunkenness of the creature that spawns them.

It gradually became clear that the audience was captive, kept from leaving and offered plentiful drink. And then the pcs learned that the star of the show wasn't what he appeared: he was a type of fey called an applause drinker (also homebrewed), who literally lives on the adulation and plaudits of the crowd- and would starve without them. And the allegedly "kidnapped" boy is one of the understudies and is super eager to pursue the life of a performer instead of a fisherman, as his family wants to.

Things haven't yet resolved, but I think the set up is pretty cool, a little creepy, and deeply immersed in the emotional states of the fey and the creatures around them. I'm pretty proud of the way it has played so far, and love the monsters in question.

Anyone else got cool fey scenarios to share?

Stormonu

Legend
D&D is sadly light in Fey and Fey encounters. I've contemplated pulling from the Changling game for ideas after discovering that game, and the comic Sandman.

Also, your whisky pixies somewhat remind me as companions to 2E's brewer gnomes.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'd love to see the stats for your homebrewed fey!

In my current campaign, the PCs were searching beneath a ruined castle for the source of wild magic in the area. They eventually discovered that underneath the castle is the lair of an archfey known as the Queen of the Dark River. She looks like a reverse freshwater version of Blipdoolpoolp, having the body of a giant pure white crayfish and the head of a beautiful woman, and she lives in a temple/palace adjacent to an underground river, where she is attended by a small colony of freshwater kuo-toa. Her magic seeps into the river water, which flows into a nearby swamp and causes spells to function strangely there.

When they were nearing the Queen's palace, the PCs went through a crystal cave that had also been affected by her magic. Any time they cast a spell in the cave, it would ricochet off the crystals and recast itself 1d6 times on random targets. So a healing spell might heal the whole party, but it might also heal the monster.

the Jester

Legend
I'd love to see the stats for your homebrewed fey!
Ask and ye shall receive. The attached files have all my monsters starting with A and W. Here are the two fey in question, posted for the amusement of anyone who would like to use 'em.

APPLAUSE DRINKER
Source: Homebrew.
An applause drinker is a fey creature that appears to be a normal mortal performer. Though the race that the applause drinker assumes the appearance of can vary, it usually appears as a half-elf. The applause drinker feeds on adoration and applause, and without it, it begins to starve and go insane. In order to continue receiving the accolades that it needs, an applause drinker will sometimes go to extreme lengths, including holding an audience captive and forcing them to shower it with false praise. Such a captive audience might not even be released to eat, drink, or use the bathroom, if the applause drinker's condition is advanced enough.
Slow Infiltration. An applause drinker usually joins a performing troupe and slowly takes control of it from within, convincing its fellow players to take part in more and more outrageous performances, seeking to garner more attention from the public with each one. It alters plays or writes its own to make them more controversial and to aim them at concerns that will interest local customers. An applause drinker can be quite an asset to a group of performers as long as it continues to receive enough affection from their crowds, but if another player becomes the lead, or if the troupe's plays cease to gather large crowds, the applause drinker becomes moody and withdrawn, bullies its fellows, and finally seeks to usurp total creative control of the theater group.
An applause drinker often ends up with understudies who gradually transform into more applause drinkers. However, as soon as one completes this transformation, it leaves, unable to stomach sharing the spotlight with anyone else.
Extreme Methods. An applause drinker can survive for months on the crowd a single good performance generates. However, it hungers for far more attention than that. An applause drinker whose performances don't garner enough accolades eventually becomes feverish with hunger and begins taking more extreme methods to ensure it gets better crowds. It might commit a streak of arsons and then perform a play about them, keep people captive and force them to watch and give it plaudits, or give enemy goblinoids access to a town, thereby forcing an entire community into a cramped fortress and performing for them while they try to focus on defending themselves.
Applause Drinker Understudies. The most common associates of an applause drinker are bards and commoners who work alongside it either as other performers or as stage hands, builders, gofers, etc.
Applause Drinker Challenge Rating. Because of an applause drinker's fantastic performance ability, treat its AC as if it were 4 higher when determining its Challenge Rating.
Applause Drinker Maestro Challenge Rating. When assessing the maestro's Challenge Rating, treat the Play to the Crowd action as a +2 bonus to the maestro's AC.
Applause Drinker Treasure. An applause drinker is 75% likely to have 1d6 x 100 gp in assorted coins, 40% likely each to have 1d8 gems and 1d4 art objects, and is 15% likely to have 1 random magic item.

Applause Drinker
Medium Fey, often chaotic neutral
Armor Class 16 (leather)
Hit Points 66 (12d8+12)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 13 (+1), DEX 20 (+5), CON 13 (+1),
INT 15(+2), WIS 13 (+1), CHA 20 (+5)

Skills Performance +9
Senses darkness 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Elven, Sylvan
Challenge 4 (1,100 xp) Prof +2

ACTIONS

Spellcasting: The applause drinker is a 4th level caster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (save DC 15). The applause drinker can cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will- vicious mockery.
1/day- detect thoughts, Tasha's uncontrollable hideous laughter.

Rapier. Melee Weapon Attack:
+7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8+5) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 15 Wisdom save or take 16 (3d10) psychic damage.

BONUS ACTIONS

Fantastic Performance. The applause drinker can use a bonus action to begin a fantastic performance, which lasts as long as it concentrates, up to 1 hour. While the performance continues, when a creature that can see the applause drinker starts its turn within 30 ft. of it, the drinker chooses one:
  • The creature must make a DC 15 Wisdom save or be magically frightened of the applause drinker until the end of the applause drinker's next turn.
  • The creature must make a DC 15 Wisdom save or be magically unable to attack the applause drinker or cast a spell that will deal damage to it until the end of the applause drinker's next turn.
  • The creature must make a DC 15 Intelligence save or the applause drinker magically forces the creature to use its reaction to move half its speed as the applause drinker chooses.
Applause Drinker Maestro
An applause drinker maestro uses the applause drinker stat block with the following modifications.
  • It has 99 hit points (18d8+18 Hit Dice).
  • Its skills are Deception +8, Performance +11, Persuasion +8
  • Its Challenge Rating is 5 (1,800 xp).
  • Its proficiency bonus is +3.
  • The save DC for its spells, Rapier attack, and Fantastic Performance is 16.
  • Its Rapier attack is at +8 to hit.
It has the following additional action options.
  • Play to the Crowd (recharges when first bloodied, then after a short or long rest). Each creature that can see the applause drinker within 90' must make a DC 16 Wis save or be charmed by the applause drinker until the end of the drinker's next turn. While charmed in this way, a creature is incapacitated and has its speed reduced to 0, and it does nothing but applaud and cheer.
WHISKY PIXIE
Source: Homebrewed.
A whisky pixie is a Fey creature born of repeated drunkenness, almost always from a fallen hero, retired priest, dissipated scholar, aging warlock, or other person who has had some connections with the Fey over its life, but who has fallen from grace and become nothing more than a town drunk. The power of the individual's connections to Fey spirits and the Feywild causes a whisky pixie to appear when the creature is in its cups.
A whisky pixie looks like an 18” tall version of the drunk from whom it was born, but with comically exaggerated features and dun-feathered, filthy, ragged wings. It reeks of whatever drink it was spawned from.
Spawned by Drink. A whisky pixie might be born and reborn night after night, appearing literally from the bottle or cup that the drunk who spawns it is drinking from. It arises as the drunk falls into a stupor, emerging from its drinking vessel with a triumphant laugh, then proceeds to cause trouble and mischief, acting as if it were nearly as drunk as its worldly companion, and doesn't care a whit for rules, propriety, or the concerns of other creatures. A whisky pixie typically immediately goes into a berserk whirlwind of stealing food and drink, verbal castigation, and general chaos-causing after it comes to be, opening windows to a storm, spilling pots of soup, holing kegs, and so on, until it is restrained or slain.
Death of Whisky. A whisky pixie is doomed to live a very short life. If not otherwise destroyed, the Fey dies when its drunken creator awakens from his intoxicated doze. This might be anything from a few minutes to hours, but is never much longer than that, unless prolonged by magical means. When the whisky pixie dies, it turns into a puddle of cheap whisky about equivalent to a shot.
However, if the drunk who spawned the whisky pixie dies before it awakens, the whisky pixie gains a tenuous lease on life. If not destroyed, it might survive for an extended period, so long as it remains thoroughly intoxicated the whole time. And it works very hard to stay intoxicated, recklessly trying almost any suggested drug or action that might result in an extension to its life. A very few find companions, such as faerie dragons or euphoria imps, who can help to keep them alive indefinitely.
Whisky Pixie Treasure. Whisky pixies carry no treasure.

Whisky Pixie
Tiny Fey, always chaotic neutral
Armor Class 14
Hit Points 39 (6d4+24)
Speed 20 ft., fly 45 ft.

STR 5 (-3), DEX 18 (+4), CON 18 (+4),
INT 10 (+0), WIS 3 (-4), CHA 12 (+1)

Skills Sleight of Hand +6, Stealth +6
Damage Resistances poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses passive Perception 6
Languages the languages spoken by the drunk from which it was spawned
Challenge ¼ (50 xp)

Drunk. The whisky pixie has advantage on saves against effects that include the charmed or frightened condition.

ACTIONS

Drunken Blunder. The whisky pixie blunders into one creature or object within 5' of it. If the target is an object of up to Medium size, the pixie can choose to knock it over, to deal 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage to it, or to knock it 5' in any direction.
If the target is a creature, it must make a DC 14 Dexterity save. If it fails, the whisky pixie chooses one:
  • The creature falls prone.
  • The creature's speed becomes 0 until the end of its next turn.
  • The creature takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage.
  • The creature can't take reactions until the start of its next turn.
Drunk's Breath. The whisky pixie exhales in a 10' cone. Each creature in the cone must make a DC 14 Constitution save or be poisoned until the end of its next turn.

BONUS ACTIONS

Mischief Maker. The whisky pixie Disengages or attempts to pick a pocket.

Attachments

• Monsters - A.pdf
    597.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Monsters - W.pdf
    386.3 KB · Views: 43

Last news.

WotC has launched a program of social reintegration and rehabilitation for clurichauns, and despite several repeat cases at least half of them have been a great success and now they are totally reintegrated into the society. Some of them have funded their own tavern or store of no-alcoholic drinks.

1684987886448.png

---

Now seriously, I also would rather to drink Changeling: the Dreaming by White Wolf as source of inspiration.

Quickleaf

Legend
Cool scenario! I like how they feed on very specific...emotional states, I suppose is what you'd call them.

I have one fey scenario I ran that stands out... a really creepy faerie fiddler called the Jack-o-Grigs who appeared as a gambling bard on the mortal world but in the Feywild his true form was a frog-faced fiddler on cricket legs in a dark red overcoat with disturbing black eyes. He wanted his own mortal child (changeling) and felt betrayed by the Faerie Courts when the Queen took the one child he had a chance of stealing for herself. The PCs were trying to figure out where a child from the village disappeared to. They crossed Jack-o-Grigs' path and it led to a gambling match with soul-threatening consequences & a bardic fiddle competition & eventually getting evidence they could use to implicate him in the abduction. He reappeared at crossroads and taverns off an on, with a set of knucklebone dice from fiddlers who lost when challenging him to a fiddle-off.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I tend to like my fey as whimsical and/or creepy, folk tale/cryptids-like creatures that often toe the line between part of the natural order and supernatural and alien, with a heaping dose of subverting expectations based on appearance or initial demeanor.

So for example I have a species of Fairy called Gnashers, more commonly known by mortals of the Material Plane as Tooth Fairies. They are adorable, big eyed gremlins that seem harmless at first glance, but they will savagely tear out the teeth of those that cross their paths, and are not above killing people to get to those pearly white chompers. They are very particular about collecting full sets of teeth from individuals so they can create tooth armor, weapons, homes and décor for those homes, and have been known to hunt those that escape their grasp, using their natural abilities to track said individuals with the very teeth they extracted during their first encounter. While Gnashers are typically chaotic and cruel, there are stories that exist of more benevolent Gnashers becoming guardian spirits of villages near their forest homes who practice the tradition of offering up the baby teeth of the village's children to them. There are even tales of ancient Gnashers that are much bigger and have lived for thousands of years, and are known to hunt powerful fiends, giants, monstrosities, and dragons for their teeth.

A set up for these little creatures I have been considering is having the party be sent to a small village that hasn't been heard from in a while to investigate. They would traverse through an old forest and come across a few dead animals here and there, mostly stripped clean by predators. It wouldn't look too out of place but those with a high enough passive perception or Investigation checks allows them to take notice of the oddity that the creature's teeth are missing. As they continue on they would come across other animals, some dead, injured and some even look starved, all with no teeth. They would eventually reach the village, eerily quiet and slowly falling apart with a strange structure in the middle. As they approach they realize it's an entire building/nest made of nothing but teeth both beast and humanoid, and swarming out of the nest upon sensing the parties presence are these little buggers decked out in teeth armor and weapons, ready to add the characters' teeth to the trove.

No stat blocks for the Gnashers as I'm still brainstorming but I figured I'd share the idea none the less.

Remove ads